Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR.

New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR.

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 1, 19, 6:28 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 12, 18, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by narvik View Post
Does that also holds true for food items?
It holds true for cocktails. Nothing else.
Old Jun 12, 18, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by nycityny View Post
I'm curious. Is everyone who eats here on an expense account or do some folks pay out of their own pocket? I pay for my own food and cannot imagine spending this kind of money while waiting for a flight at an airport. I've never been one to eat at airports (even though I'm a United Club member) so maybe it's just me.
It seems like your question is not about the price point of Classified and by extension who covers the cost, but trying to understand why people eat at airports period... If it was free it still wouldn't make sense to you.
Old Jun 12, 18, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by narvik View Post
One more reason I predict its eventual or imminent closure. They're hardly making money off of it, and it seems like a huge cost, just to offer some extra food items and some exclusivity.
Do you know this for fact or is it just conjecture?
Old Jun 13, 18, 2:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by anc-ord772 View Post
Do you know this for fact or is it just conjecture?
Of course you are correct.....all conjecture on my part, but I hardly can see a scenario where this wouldn't be true.
How many tables, load factor (based on reports here), vs. cost (staff, location, marketing, etc.)
Quite simple math, even if only rudimentary.
Old Jun 13, 18, 7:00 am

There are a number of useful travel related items available on the menu such as the sanitizer, lip balm, travel pillow, headphones, etc.
I havenít purchased any of that but I was offered a choice of a very nice box of chocolates, headphones, travel pillow or earbuds as a gift. I selected the chocolates which were very good.
Old Jun 13, 18, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm curious. Is everyone who eats here on an expense account or do some folks pay out of their own pocket? I pay for my own food and cannot imagine spending this kind of money while waiting for a flight at an airport. I've never been one to eat at airports (even though I'm a United Club member) so maybe it's just me.
I'm self employed, so it comes out of my pocket. I've been 5 or 6 times now, and always enjoy it. Last visit was about $50 (including 20% discount and 20% tip), which isn't out of line for NYC or LA.... and a lot less than what I usually spend when I go out for sushi.
Old Jun 13, 18, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, UC, Hyatt/Hilton/Marriott/SPG, GEntry
I, too am a United Club member and I've eaten there a few times - some I've expensed, others I drank more than I would be comfortable sticking to my employer, so I picked up the tab. I always have an enjoyable time. Food is solid, service is amiable and I don't mind paying now-and-then for a bit of a respite from the masses where I can watch widebodies come and go.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 18, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA Global Services
Rarely fly through EWR... but I am this Sunday on the way to Barcelona. Made a reservation for 1 for dinner. Looking at the menu, I think I'm gonna go for the pastrami ribeye steak. I like a flavorful, fatty cut of meat. Any other recommendations?
Old Jun 29, 18, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Global Services
Talking

Originally Posted by SAN 1K View Post
I ate here once with a reservation and the second time by just walking in. They were glad to welcome me as a 1K. (It was hardly crowded at the time). Have others had success as walk ins?
When you walked in, did they take your MileagePlus number? If you were not a 1K, do you think you would have been able to enter?

Would someone flying another airline, with no United status be allowed? If so, it takes a little bit away from the prestige of it!

I'm eating there for the first time this Sunday. This is my second year as Global Services... I wonder, do they distinguish between a GS and other customers? I think it would be nice if they did something special for their top-revenue customers
Old Jun 29, 18, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by dangerhsun View Post
I wonder, do they distinguish between a GS and other customers? I think it would be nice if they did something special for their top-revenue customers
No and no.
Originally Posted by dangerhsun View Post
Rarely fly through EWR... but I am this Sunday on the way to Barcelona. Made a reservation for 1 for dinner. Looking at the menu, I think I'm gonna go for the pastrami ribeye steak. I like a flavorful, fatty cut of meat. Any other recommendations?
Had it last time and it was delicious. Avoid the lamb chops.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 29, 18 at 4:58 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 17, 18, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Sounds like they're not doing so well. As a lowly Gold, I just received an invite at Classified for any upcoming flight, one in Y, and the other an award flight.
Old Jul 17, 18, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

I never book it in advance as not sure how much time I will have at EWR - it's my home airport. But the couple of times I have been to Classified I have to say the exclusivity and service and food are worth the price. Haven't been to the Polaris Lounge at EWR yet so will give that a try on my next Int'l trip in August. Suspect the food will be better at Classified but Polaris Lounge seems, from initial reports, as worthy of trying out!
Old Jul 18, 18, 11:13 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Made my first visit to Classified two weeks ago - thank you to my friend for the reservation. I have one thought and one question.

First, UGH with those iPads on the table! I was really, really hoping that I would be able to escape them. Second, the waiter invited me to join and I gave the management my contact information. When I check the website I don't have access. If I went and gave my name and number would I get in, or was I being lied to?
Old Jul 18, 18, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
Made my first visit to Classified two weeks ago - thank you to my friend for the reservation. I have one thought and one question.

First, UGH with those iPads on the table! I was really, really hoping that I would be able to escape them. Second, the waiter invited me to join and I gave the management my contact information. When I check the website I don't have access. If I went and gave my name and number would I get in, or was I being lied to?
There are a lot of reports that you can just show up and ask to be let in. When I said I had a reservation at classified (true), nobody checked and the staff didn't certainly seem to be on the look of me out front (in Saison).

One area where the reservation was nice - my photo (of face) was attached to reservation along with a special occasion we were celebrating and the staff recognized me once inside Classified itself, along with some dietary restrictions (allergies) noted on my reservation).
Old Jul 18, 18, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post

First, UGH with those iPads on the table! I was really, really hoping that I would be able to escape them.
Second, the waiter invited me to join and I gave the management my contact information. When I check the website I don't have access. If I went and gave my name and number would I get in, or was I being lied to?
What do you mean by 'invited [you] to join'? Reports are that you can typically walk up with no reservation.

edit add:
Originally Posted by phltraveler View Post
There are a lot of reports that you can just show up and ask to be let in. When I said I had a reservation at classified (true), nobody checked and the staff didn't certainly seem to be on the look of me out front (in Saison).

One area where the reservation was nice - my photo (of face) was attached to reservation along with a special occasion we were celebrating and the staff recognized me once inside Classified itself, along with some dietary restrictions (allergies) noted on my reservation).
Did you provide your photo when you reserved? Or how did they get your photo?

Search this Thread