Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

does UA realize that its mile earning method forces me to pick partner airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

does UA realize that its mile earning method forces me to pick partner airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

During the last couple of years, something has really puzzled me.

When I book tickets, I look at UA and other Star Alliance airlines for the same routes. In most cases, these 2 or 3 airlines have basically the same fare(within $100 or so at most).

Because of miles are earned for UA tickets are based on dollar amount spent of the ticket multiplied by 8x for me, I always earn a lot more award miles if I buy from another Star Alliance airline.(again, for the same route)

On those Star Alliance partner airlines, their tickets earn me the standard award miles plus bonus miles for my UA Gold status. (flight miles plus 50% bonus for UA Gold)

This is why I have pretty much picked those Star Alliance airlines most of the time. I assume this means UA is not making any money off me, unless those airlines have to pay UA for having their flights credited to my UA account.

It just seem to make no sense to me why UA is basically discouraging from buying UA tickets for travel on UA metal....
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
For those living in the US, there is a PQD requirement that ensures flying on United - or at least buying your tickets on 016 plates.

If you live outside the US, then you have more freedom to pursue other carriers and gain/maintain UA status.
AceReport likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
Because of miles are earned for UA tickets are based on dollar amount spent of the ticket multiplied by 8x for me, I always earn a lot more award miles if I buy from another Star Alliance airline.(again, for the same route)

On those Star Alliance partner airlines, their tickets earn me the standard award miles plus bonus miles for my UA Gold status. (flight miles plus 50% bonus for UA Gold) ....
It depends on the partner -- as many partners are only providing 25% or 50% mileage credit and just a few provide the elite bonus. If you flight on those with the higher mileage % and with the elite bonus, you probably will earn more award miles BUT you will have fewer benefits -- no E+ access, smaller bag allowance, ....

It is a trade-off that will lead to different choices.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It depends on the partner -- as many partners are only providing 25% or 50% mileage credit and just a few provide the elite bonus. If you flight on those with the higher mileage % and with the elite bonus, you probably will earn more award miles BUT you will have fewer benefits -- no E+ access, smaller bag allowance, ....

It is a trade-off that will lead to different choices.
Right. UA definitely knows that this is happening. And, don't worry -- (a) on their JV partners, they get a share of your money no matter which airline you fly, and (b) they do get cash for the miles you earn.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:43 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Agree with OP.
I can fly PE on LH ( to Europe) and earn 150% UA miles booked on LH Paper. Considerably more than if booked on UA and flown on UA.

Do not have to worry about PQD as I am a 2MM (soon 3MM)

Still prefer UA -- but I do now double check the LH site.

Have been flying more on LH (all legs) now that UA discontinued its DXB and KWI/BAH service.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Yes, they know some people might book away. But they don't care. All the different earning rules are set to maximize their profitability targets.

As a long-time salesperson, I often shook my head in wonderment at how an operations leader with margin targets would forego a profitable long-term opportunity in order to maximize their bonus for the year. But that's how big corporations work. I'm not sure yet if this is a good or bad long-term strategy for UA, but I'm pretty sure it's working for the short term. Even more so when they still get revenue on some of the JV flights for those who do book away.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
If you flew UA and reached Platinum status, then the multiplier would be 9x, if you made 1K - 11x.

So, it really comes down to if you flew UA and got the extra PQM to reach a higher level than gold, then would the increased multipliers work out better for you. not to mention the RPU/GPU possibility (Yes, i know the majority of this board thinks they are worthless, but I have used 10 of each so far this year)
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
If you flew UA and reached Platinum status, then the multiplier would be 9x, if you made 1K - 11x.
If you ticket on a JV partner, you earn a Premier bonus that is equivalent.

That said, in general you'll only earn more UA miles ticketing on a partner if (a) you're buying long-haul in deep discount economy (no thanks), or (b) you've scored an unusually cheap business class (or F) sale fare (like, less than $2500 for a TATL or TPAC).
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PaulMCO
Agree with OP.
I can fly PE on LH ( to Europe) and earn 150% UA miles booked on LH Paper. Considerably more than if booked on UA and flown on UA.
And UA gets paid regardless. LH is a joint venture partner, so it doesn't make any real difference if you fly LH metal or UA metal.

Do not have to worry about PQD as I am a 2MM (soon 3MM)
Not as soon as you would have been if you were flying UA - million mile qualification also doesn't apply for partner flights, only UA metal.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Agree with OP.
This is what I find myself doing as well, LH and BR, NH, AC. I get around PQDs with CC waiver (I'll never get to $12K, so Plat is as far as I go). Haven't taken UA over an ocean in the last three years, I don't think.

I'm a increasingly aware that my progress toward MM has slowed, but I don't think I'm giving up enough to change my behavior.
AceReport likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.