Community
Wiki Posts
Search

764 fleet returning to EWR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:56 pm

You all are missing the point. This is a temporary measure before the technology is ready in late 2018 to finally integrate the FA groups. Why did it take so long? Good question. But blame it on previous management. Not current. They're going as fast as they can. It isn't easy to pick up on pieces left by Smisek.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:08 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=28678795

Curious about the answer to this. pmCO, I presume?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by tuolumne
So can I fly to Switzerland ex-IAD in a 3-class 767 again? Sounds good to me.
For a short while. The 3 class birds are the first ones getting the new Polaris seats.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, HiltonHonors, AAdvantage, Starwood Prefered Guest, Marriott Rewards
Yes, IAD is getting the 767-300 jet ("bird"? I never liked that term!) as reflected in my annual Christmas travel plans, IAD-HNL. The 767-300 has replaced the 767-400 per schedule change.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
FA bickering aside, what matters it that from a passenger's perspective this consolidation should help operational reliability at EWR. That's needed.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by DA201
For a short while. The 3 class birds are the first ones getting the new Polaris seats.
Sounds good. I'll try for seat 1K on the 3-class 67I 767-300ER until the bitter end, or until the Zodiac seats are installed. Current 2-class with B/E Diamond are too short for me and I dread flying in that seat. The option of no F is killer.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So can I fly to Switzerland ex-IAD in a 3-class 767 again? Sounds good to me.
+1!

Originally Posted by hoopics
Amen. Both the 1-1-1 GF cabin and the 2-2-2 J cabin are so much better than the 772.
The 772 is usually not on IAD-ZRH/GVA, except for some 3 months last summer into ZRH. Seems to be a bit too high capacity for that market.

Sounds good. I'll try for seat 1K on the 3-class 67I 767-300ER until the bitter end, or until the Zodiac seats are installed. Current 2-class with B/E Diamond are too short for me and I dread flying in that seat. The option of no F is killer.
Indeed. Won't be missing the short J-seats on the 764.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The benefit to additional 763 service is, of course, the possibility (which will grow) of a Polaris-equipped bird, as they enter service from retrofits.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
The benefit to additional 763 service is, of course, the possibility (which will grow) of a Polaris-equipped bird, as they enter service from retrofits.
Great point, EWR764. Makes this move even more welcome!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Pathetic is being nice. So let me see... if a new FA is hired tomorrow what system are they being scheduled with? The fact that all UA FAs are not using the same system is BS. "Fire" one half and then "rehire" them into the other system.

Am I oversimplifying this?
There hasn't been a crossover of sub UA FAs to the sub CO side in a few years. All new hire FAs are placed currently either under the CO contract or UA contract depending on operational need. All FAs hired this year were placed under the CO contract with the exception of Hebrew speakers who were placed under the UA contract.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Wonder if the reason took so long for flight attendant integration was what happened with TWA flight attendants with American.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by bhunt
Wonder if the reason took so long for flight attendant integration was what happened with TWA flight attendants with American.
No, the situations are completely different. IIRC, the TWA FAs were just stapled to the bottom of the AA list (so, a 20-year TW veteran wound up underneath an AA person that was hired a week before the merger). That was never a legitimate consideration for this situation. The delay in getting a contract (which, itself, has nothing to do with seniority list integration, as that is entirely the purview of the union) was because the two work groups were under completely different styles of rules, and they couldn’t even agree among themselves what kind of contract they were going to ask for.

Now, the delay is because of merging both work groups into a single computer system. I have no idea why such should take so long. It’s neither the first time FAs have been merged, nor is it the first time UA has had to merge a work group (CO and UA pilots were merged a couple years ago).
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:56 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
... nor is it the first time UA has had to merge a work group (CO and UA pilots were merged a couple years ago).
This is the craziest part to me.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Pathetic is being nice. So let me see... if a new FA is hired tomorrow what system are they being scheduled with? The fact that all UA FAs are not using the same system is BS. "Fire" one half and then "rehire" them into the other system.

Am I oversimplifying this?
Yes because then you have union and seniority issues plus then UA wouldn't be able to fly 1/2 of its flights.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm booked IAD-HNL in Feb and after checking the app just now, see that my 764 is now a 763. UA app now also says that "This segment is waitlisted" and won't let me change seats when I had confirmed award seats when making my booking on the 764.

Is this a normal part of the downgauge process? Will the waitlist warning go away in a few days and/or the seatmap load?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.