Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA service to Paine Field (PAE - Everett/Seattle, WA) (Suspending service 5 Oct 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by kevflyer
United has continued to evaluate and adapt its network and based on demand trends, the airline will suspend service from Denver (DEN) to Everett, Washington (PAE), effective Oct. 5, 2021. United will continue to serve the region with non-stop service to Seattle (SEA) from Denver, New York/Newark, Houston, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington, D.C. and San Francisco.
United Airlines Announces Tickets Now Available for New Daily Service Between Paine Field and Denver and San Francisco
Now offering customers six daily flights connecting Seattle-area to more than 110 destinations
United Airlines returns to Paine Field where it operated the first commercial flight in 1939

EVERETT, Wash., Nov. 26, 2018 / -- United Airlines today announced it will begin nonstop service between Paine Field/Snohomish County Airport and its hubs in Denver and San Francisco. Subject to government approval, United will operate two daily flights from Denver and four daily flights from San Francisco, beginning March 31, 2019. Tickets are now available for purchase.

"We are excited to offer our Seattle and Northwest Washington area travelers new opportunities to easily access our hubs in Denver and San Francisco," said Ankit Gupta, United's vice president of Domestic Network Planning. "With United's six daily flights from Paine Field beginning this spring, our new service will conveniently connect customers from the Northern Seattle, Snohomish and Northern King County areas to the world's largest business and leisure destinations with just one stop."

United operates up to 40 daily flights between Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and its U.S. hubs. North Seattle and Northwest Washington are among the fastest growing areas in the nation and United's new service connects Paine Field to two of the airline's largest hubs offering customers more opportunities to easily connect to hundreds of domestic destinations including California's Central Coast, Colorado, Hawaii and New York City. United's new service also offers customers more opportunities to conveniently connect to popular international destinations including Sydney, London, and Mexico City.

"We are excited about the business and travel opportunities that will come with United's service at Paine Field," said Dave Somers, Snohomish County Executive. "Snohomish County is proud to be part of this very exciting story in commercial aviation."

"United's new service at Everett will allow customers to get on a United plane in Everett and easily connect to hundreds of destinations around the world while enjoying United's world class service," said Brett Smith, Propeller Airport's CEO.
Print Wikipost

UA service to Paine Field (PAE - Everett/Seattle, WA) (Suspending service 5 Oct 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by ryman554
If you are a megacorp on the north side, say Redmond, the question is which commute is worse... To/from Paine, which can be done on the 405/mukelteo expressway going North which is horrific during commute times, or 405; south which is horrific almost always.
I'm fascinated by this possibility. I live about equidistant between SEA and PAE, so could see how this service would be practical for me. SEA is bursting at the seams, and the growth of AS and DL has come at the expense of UA. Purely from a number of gates perspective, it seems like there should be room in the market. I look forward to the service, and hope it's reasonably priced (not holding my breath).

In a way, I'm surprised we haven't seen a push from an LCC out of PAE. It is a long way to another airport where you can get service out of the region (PDX/YVR if you don't want to stop in SEA), and accessibility to the city and some rapidly growing suburbs is about the same as SEA. It seems formula-built for WN's old market entry model.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by PVDProf
I'm fascinated by this possibility. I live about equidistant between SEA and PAE, so could see how this service would be practical for me. SEA is bursting at the seams, and the growth of AS and DL has come at the expense of UA. Purely from a number of gates perspective, it seems like there should be room in the market. I look forward to the service, and hope it's reasonably priced (not holding my breath).

In a way, I'm surprised we haven't seen a push from an LCC out of PAE. It is a long way to another airport where you can get service out of the region (PDX/YVR if you don't want to stop in SEA), and accessibility to the city and some rapidly growing suburbs is about the same as SEA. It seems formula-built for WN's old market entry model.
LCC's dominate BLI traffic already, so they probably are not really going to move 60 mi. south and abandon their cross border traffic which is their main clientele. AS really picks up on the PAE traffic at BLI already. I can see them shifting lift from BLI to PAE. UAX used to fly a decent schedule out of BLI, this schedule will probably just replace those seats.

It can take up to 4 hours to get from bellingham to SEA. 2-3 hours to YVR without nexus. 90-120 min to PAE. This is a significant development.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:30 pm

The issue to me with using somewhere like PAE, is what happens if there is a mechanical or weather delay/cancellation? 3x each SFO/DEN most likely. If a mechanical knocks out one flight, there most likely won't be enough room on the remaining daily flights to re-accommodate everyone. UA and AS better have a couple of buses standing by to shuttle people down to SeaTac if need be...otherwise virtually every cancellation is going to result is a large amount of people losing an entire day at least.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by kop84
The issue to me with using somewhere like PAE, is what happens if there is a mechanical or weather delay/cancellation? 3x each SFO/DEN most likely. If a mechanical knocks out one flight, there most likely won't be enough room on the remaining daily flights to re-accommodate everyone. UA and AS better have a couple of buses standing by to shuttle people down to SeaTac if need be...otherwise virtually every cancellation is going to result is a large amount of people losing an entire day at least.
This is not unusual, if a flight out of ASE, EGE, or HDN cancels in the summer it is hard to reaccommodate those pax on the few remaining flights that day. This stuff happens all the time.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by N104UA
This is not unusual, if a flight out of ASE, EGE, or HDN cancels in the summer it is hard to reaccommodate those pax on the few remaining flights that day. This stuff happens all the time.
But at least at those places you're potentially driving to DEN that has tons of flights. And from DEN you can at least possibly get on a non-stop flight to your destination.

It's not as big a deal to me having to drive to the hub, but taking an alternate airport from the spoke doesn't seem as practical to me
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
But at least at those places you're potentially driving to DEN that has tons of flights. And from DEN you can at least possibly get on a non-stop flight to your destination.

It's not as big a deal to me having to drive to the hub, but taking an alternate airport from the spoke doesn't seem as practical to me
HDN is a 3.5-4hr drive from DEN, PAE is 1-1.5hrs (in traffic), so when you leave HDN you won't be getting on a plane for 5-6 hrs in DEN where in SEA you are about 3-3.5 hrs, which I would much rather prefer considering SFO is less than a 2 hour flight away.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
It just seems wrong to fly an Embraer into PAE ...
AS already indicated it will, along with some 737s.

And the low pass we did at TLS in a 757-300 in 2009 was pretty darn fun.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
From downtown Seattle, is this any easier to get to than SEA?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
From downtown Seattle, is this any easier to get to than SEA?
Not by public transportation! The sounder train takes about a half-hour to get there; waiting time in the tunnel varies (more frequent at rush hour)

The ETA for the Sounder train to extend from Lynnwood (?) to Everett, going near if not at Paine, is at least 2-3 years out, at the current rate of construction. And it will definitely take more than 30-40 minutes to get to Paine from downtown Seattle.

EDIT -- the schedule show it is 38 minutes from SEA to Westlake, and a few minutes shorter from SEA to, say, Pioneer Square or University Street. Also, I should have written "Link Light Rail" as that's what serves the SEA-Univ. Wash. route.

Last edited by AndyPatterson; Aug 10, 2017 at 5:59 pm
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Not by public transportation! The sounder train takes about a half-hour to get there; waiting time in the tunnel varies (more frequent at rush hour)

The ETA for the Sounder train to extend from Lynnwood (?) to Everett, going near if not at Paine, is at least 2-3 years out, at the current rate of construction. And it will definitely take more than 30-40 minutes to get to Paine from downtown Seattle.
"Link" is Sound Transit's light rail system, not "Sounder", which is heavy rail which doesn't go to either airport. Link will not extend to PAE until 2036 under current construction plans.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
I know MLB charters fly into there so must be fairly close to downtown hotels
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:12 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by bhunt
I know MLB charters fly into there so must be fairly close to downtown hotels
MLB charters fly into BFI (Boeing Field) which is where flight testing if done for the 737 aircraft. BFI is close to the sports complex and downtown Seattle.

PAE is Paine Field which is north of downtown Seattle (about 25 miles) and is the primary manufacturing home for 747, 767, 777, and 787 aircraft at this time.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
that's what they do out of BLI with fog etc. AS/QX and UA (when they flew out of BLI) Put you on the airporter or a taxi into SEA to catch your reaccomodation. You seem to think this is the third world we live in
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ncorman
MLB charters fly into BFI (Boeing Field) which is where flight testing if done for the 737 aircraft. BFI is close to the sports complex and downtown Seattle.

PAE is Paine Field which is north of downtown Seattle (about 25 miles) and is the primary manufacturing home for 747, 767, 777, and 787 aircraft at this time.
Thanks for correcting that. Thought It was same airport.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Hmmm. DEN-PAE and SFO-PAE would be fascinating routes for the "grand farewell tour" of the 744...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.