Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 210 - Aug 7th: Flight attendant blames pilots for delayed flight over PA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 210 - Aug 7th: Flight attendant blames pilots for delayed flight over PA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
The SFH was epic for this kind of thing. Pilots laughing while their pax missed weddings and funerals. Flights getting cancelled for inop cabin reading lights, or because the rubbish can liner on the flight deck wasn't regulation. Of course the pilots weren't the only employee group wreaking havoc in 2000. I had a couple of evenings trying to connect at ORD I can only describe as crazed.

The chaos virus may go dormant for awhile within UA employees, but IMO it is ineradicable. There is always potential for a new pandemic.
Easy there with the pandemic talk.

1) We don't now the full situation, and neither do the FAs

2) Drawing parallels between this one event and the SFH and insinuating it could happens again at any time is the definition of an over-reach.

3) Since we're talking about the SFH, let's talk about UAL's management hardball tactical approach to planning, which backfired spectacularly. It takes two to tango, and the pilots won. Then the economy crashed, and 9/11 happened, and all workforces at UAL took drastic reductions to their benefits and pay.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by tuolumne
It takes two to tango, and the pilots won. Then the economy crashed, and 9/11 happened, and all workforces at UAL took drastic reductions to their benefits and pay.
A little off topic, but there's plenty of analysis that says SFH animosity made the post-9/11 environment notably worse for United, as they had alienated so many former loyalists when they most needed support.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
MSY. I think I can see why
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Wonder which sub the pilots were from. Looks like the tail was scheduled to be N37273.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
FA should be fired immediately. You don't air your dirty laundry in public.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Roboholic
<snip>
The reason for the delay is because the pilots were dragging their feet, taking their time walking to the gate so that the flight would be delayed on purpose.
<snip>
Holy cow, I had the same thing (minus the FA announcement) happen on an AA flight last December. The assigned crew went invalid before boarding, so they delayed it an hour to get another pilot/copilot. They arrived later than expected, and didn't let anyone board until they had finished preflight checks. I've been on quick turnaround flights, but these .... took their time and they managed to time out before we boarded. It was the last flight of the night so we had to wait 12 hours.

I'm convinced, even though our FA didn't announce it like yours did, that the backup pilot didn't want to spend the night in Portland.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by kb9522
Perhaps seeing this cavalier attitude, on a daily basis, and watching passengers continually getting screwed over by a few select crew members, one doesn't really care who gets an ear full!

I'm sure the f/a is well aware of the ramifications of her actions, but has had a belly full of mis-connects that could be prevented if a few caring employees knocked off the obvious/visible lolly-gagging.

The union will take care of both parties, if this should get escalated, so no need to fret!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
I've seen this the other way, too. I had a flight that needed to leave on schedule other-wise the F/A's would go illegal. They dragged their feet during boarding and then the #1 asked the captain to try to delay the door closing so they wouldn't go on the clock. He didn't and they got royally P/O'd.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Does anyone know if pilots can waive their "duty limit" (or whatever it's called and work over their hours if needed?

I ask because I had a similar situation to the OP arise last month when my EWR-CLE got cancelled. We had been delayed a few hours and returned to the gate because of the tarmac rule and they said the crew was going to time out. Evidently, they pulled two pilots who were deadheading on the flight home to CLE and had them work, because they had time left on their duty (or so we were told).

When we reboarded and were told it would be XXXX amount of time before we could takeoff, the new pilot came on and said they would not be able to wait and that they were cancelling the flight. I had heard from a few of my industry friends that pilots can waive this (and get paid dearly for it). I've also been told some people hate when the company does this so that made me think maybe they were trying to get back by delaying our departure and eventually causing the time-out.

The new pilot gave us this story about how he was trying to get home too so it wasn't his choice but it seemed like they could have flown if they wanted to. Again, I am not an expert, just re-explaining what we were told.

The only part I felt was very unprofessional was on the taxi back to the gate the pilot gave this whole rant on why the entire escapade is due to the FAA and we all need to support President Trump's FAA reauthorization...

Truthfully, I don't think many listened and I started looking for alternatives while still onboard but I thought it was crossing the line.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AugustusM
Thinking maybe the FA had plans in the arrival city that got torched.
This ^^^

Originally Posted by bhunt
Guessing the flight attendant wanted to get to next city for some reason or it costing her money.

I'm I correct flight attendants only on clock when aircraft door closed?
I believe this is still true for UA though some international (KLM/AF/LH) do it quite a bit differently, also AS and SWA have a different system in the USA
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by kb9522
No.. The should get a medal. And the Pilots should be fired.

Given my experience with UA this summer, it appears as if there's some sort of labor beef going on, usually concentrating on mx issues. It wouldn't surprise me that it might be the pilots behind it.

I look forward to flying more flights on the ME3 and Norweigian if they don't fix it soon.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Air Canada operates a direct service between New Orleans and Washington. Wow, that's news to me. Or were you connecting beyond Washington?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
No.. The should get a medal. And the Pilots should be fired.

Given my experience with UA this summer, it appears as if there's some sort of labor beef going on, usually concentrating on mx issues. It wouldn't surprise me that it might be the pilots behind it.

I look forward to flying more flights on the ME3 and Norweigian if they don't fix it soon.
Maybe someone could clarify your second statement? I've flown plenty (ok...maybe not compared to most of you) of times this summer and haven't noticed anything. In fact, it's rare for me to even experience an mx.

So, is there a labor beef going on within UA?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Air Canada operates a direct service between New Orleans and Washington. Wow, that's news to me. Or were you connecting beyond Washington?
AC flies nonstop MSY-YYZ, so I think it's a safe assumption that Toronto was the final destination.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:06 pm

In regards to pilots waiving, I believe they can waive up to 2 hours of their duty CCO (Crew Critical Off). They also have a block time CCO of which I don't believe they can waive. Flight attendant duty limits are all contractual as the FAA has no limit on how long they can work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.