Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Finally Joined United Club

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Because nobody in their right mind would actually pay for UC membership.
That's your opinion. I think it's wrong.

I get a ton of value from UC membership on domestic travel.

You're also not taking into account that for many it's a reimbursable business expense.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I'm on my second year of membership and feel like I've gotten my money's worth. From better service during IRROPS, a quieter place to work or relax, a drink when I need/want, or a cup of coffee for the road when I arrive at my home airport after a long day. It's rare that I end up in clubs that are overcrowded but maybe that's due to my particular travel patterns.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by JHake10
I travel every week on UA, so I've gotten some decent value from a club membership. However, when in EWR, I avoid those clubs. I rather sit at an empty gate.
I was propositioned for a "shower" by a stranger in an EWR club. I haven't even flown through EWR since. The thought of being there makes me want to puke.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Coskigirl
I'm on my second year of membership and feel like I've gotten my money's worth. From better service during IRROPS, a quieter place to work or relax, a drink when I need/want, or a cup of coffee for the road when I arrive at my home airport after a long day.
+1

Lately I've been doing my pre-flight video downloads at the UC. Many of the clubs now have really fast speeds (in the 200 mbps range) so it's much more efficient for me than doing it at home.
Coskigirl likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's your opinion. I think it's wrong.

I get a ton of value from UC membership on domestic travel.

You're also not taking into account that for many it's a reimbursable business expense.
A ton of value? The free crackers and coffee? LOL. Of course it's my opinion. Everyone on FT has an opinion or they wouldn't be here.

My company is pretty generous about travel (paid C, nice hotels) but clubs have never been reimbursed. And many of the high tech companies are much cheaper (nobody at Amazon flies C). But I know we have a lot of consultants on FT.

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
I pay for my membership and I think it's worth every cent. I fly about 150 segments a year on United and visit the UC pretty much every time I'm at the airport. My home airport is BOS which has one of the nicer clubs, so that helps.

At the end of last year United sent me an email indicating that I had visited a United Club location 147 times in 2016. So based on my $450 membership fee, it works out to about $3 per visit -- and that doesn't include all of the times I've brought family and friends as guests.
You clearly missed the part where I said "If you fly domestic a lot" then it might be worthwhile. At $3 a visit - no question. I don't envy you that's a lot of segments - each one with potential for delay.

For me it's < one RT (2 visits) a month including maybe 2 visits per year with family. And probably half of those would be free anyway with *G. And many of my international destinations have no UC. I find Priority Pass to be 10x more valuable. YMMV

Last edited by Boraxo; Aug 11, 2017 at 9:46 pm
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:31 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
A ton of value? The free crackers and coffee? LOL. Of course it's my opinion. Everyone on FT has an opinion or they wouldn't be here.

My company is pretty generous about travel (paid C, nice hotels) but clubs have never been reimbursed. And many of the high tech companies are much cheaper (nobody at Amazon flies C). But I know we have a lot of consultants on FT.

You clearly missed the part where I said "If you fly domestic a lot" then it might be worthwhile. At $3 a visit - no question. I don't envy you that's a lot of segments - each one with potential for delay.

For me it's < one RT (2 visits) a month including maybe 2 visits per year with family. And probably half of those would be free anyway with *G. And many of my international destinations have no UC. I find Priority Pass to be 10x more valuable. YMMV
Little over exaggeration don't you think with the "free crackers and coffee?"
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by Coskigirl
I was propositioned for a "shower" by a stranger in an EWR club. I haven't even flown through EWR since. The thought of being there makes me want to puke.
That proposition is unacceptable anywhere.
Coskigirl likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
+1

Lately I've been doing my pre-flight video downloads at the UC. Many of the clubs now have really fast speeds (in the 200 mbps range) so it's much more efficient for me than doing it at home.
Is there a UC speed test thread? I have not found those speeds but I think we can agree it varies. Also, I have had some issues with even linking with in club wi-fi. An example of that is at EWR where I can never seem to link with the wi-fi there.
I have found the UCs at SFO (home base) to be pretty fast but I have yet to down load video's there but would love to try. About how long does it take? (I know a bit off topic).
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, spg, World of Hyatt
I always regretted not buying the lifetime President's Club membership back in the day - glad to see your dad had the foresight to buy in.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I don't think so:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch02.html#en_US_2016_publink100033899

The purposes and activities of a club, not its name, will determine whether or not you can deduct the dues. You cant deduct dues paid to:

Country clubs,

Golf and athletic clubs,

Airline clubs,

Hotel clubs, and

Clubs operated to provide meals under circumstances generally considered to be conducive to business discussions.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I don't think so:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p46...blink100033899

The purposes and activities of a club, not its name, will determine whether or not you can deduct the dues. You can’t deduct dues paid to:

Country clubs,

Golf and athletic clubs,

Airline clubs,

Hotel clubs, and

Clubs operated to provide meals under circumstances generally considered to be conducive to business discussions.
It has not been a tax deduction for many years (it once was) but it can be a reimbursable expense if the business decides to. IME, it was recorded as extra income to me and grossed up to cover taxes. That is a choice by the business and not disallowed by the lack of tax deductible.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A company can certainly provide an employee, or reimburse for, airline club membership if that is part of compensation. The IRS does not say what a company can provide an employee, but it can define what is deductible.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 17, 2017 at 10:01 am
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
To me, it is really worth it for the couple of times a year there is an IRROPs and I can use the club agents, and have a place to plug in and work for a few (or more) hours. For those who say they'd rather be at the Vino Volo or somewhere, in my experience, those are likely to be the same times every restaurant or bar will be full and I would point out they usually don't have plugs.

On regular domestic trips I might only duck in to get a soda and free newspapers. But even those, at airport prices, are worth more than $10 a visit.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
A company can certainly reimburse for or provide an employee for airline club management if that is part of compensation. The IRS does not say what a company can provide an employee, but it can define what is deductible.
Good point: it's re-imbursable but not deductible.

But that raises the question of credit card annual fees. Suppose I use a United Club Card or an Amex Platinum card exclusively for my business. Then the annual card fee is a deductible expense for my business. That's a legitimate backdoor way to deduct the club lounge fee, no?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Good point: it's re-imbursable but not deductible.

But that raises the question of credit card annual fees. Suppose I use a United Club Card or an Amex Platinum card exclusively for my business. Then the annual card fee is a deductible expense for my business. That's a legitimate backdoor way to deduct the club lounge fee, no?
Bingo! Our corporate card is the Club Card. The fee is run through with literally hundreds of thousands of dollars other corporate expenses. Not sure is this is technically totally ligit but we've done it for years without problems.

Last edited by nomad420; Aug 17, 2017 at 9:59 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.