Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Finally Joined United Club

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by sfo2bos
Really depends on where you are. I've had the opposite experience flying out of Boston, Denver, some others. SFO needs some updating but isn't too bad.

Very rarely that crowded, outside of maybe IAH on a weekday morning.

Amex and international clubs will be much nicer, but Amex is constantly busier.

I would *much* rather sit in a club than some overpriced, dirty, crowded, public bar. Hands down.
I agree. So far this year I've been to more clubs that are brand new than to clubs in disrepair. I can't even think of a club in disrepair.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
My most visited club is the new club at LAX with coke freestyle machine which is awesome. Open and spacious and good views. An outlier compared to my other home away from home the IAD clubs.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Not exactly true anymore. While not especially "Premium", the house liquors are a decent brand. No more frat-house plastic jugs at the United Club.

Complimentary beer selection is usually weak though.
Totally true. No longer Banker's Club plastic jug gin and vodka. Now it's decent brands.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
You don't even have to be traveling on Amtrak to use the lounge. Just show them your club card (once you get it). Even though it's a bit of a dump, I've used the lounge at NY Penn Station at times when I needed a place to sit and use the wifi and bathroom for a bit.
it is a dump, but better than penn station otherwise...
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
So far this year I've been to more clubs that are brand new than to clubs in disrepair.
Sitting in SAN right now, probably my favorite domestic club.

Best part of my day so far.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold; DL Silver; Amtrak Select Plus;Hilton Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
it is a dump, but better than penn station otherwise...
exactly. At least you don't have to share the bathroom with the smelly vagrants like in the main station.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
I didn't know there was no limit for immediate family, is this new? I have been a member for many years and I recall at least one incident where the receptionist refused to allow my family to enter, there are a total of 5 people (wife and 3 daughters, young at the time). We were told that I was only allowed 2 guests, we made it clear that the kids were ours but no dice.
Website says 2 adults OR 1 adult and dependent children under 21.
This is only for actual United Clubs.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:07 pm

Hands down best benefit thats worth its weight in yearly fees in help with irops when things go south. Have had good luck and experienced getting it fixed in the club
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:23 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
I'll get to enjoy the benefit as well, but I'm definitely going to be using the maximum guesting privilege. If it was only me traveling, I would have probably skipped the membership, but my parents have kind of developed a taste for lounges ever since the first time I took them into United Club in Chicago when I had Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus. Now whenever we fly domestic, my mom asks "No lounge???" At $59 dollars per person for a single entry pass, the three of us using the Club at LAX and at one of the hubs round trip one time alone pays for the $450 a year via Chase.

I'll be the first to admit, that I think just the clean and no line bathroom access at the airport is worth the full price.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
And, of course, when traveling via train your United Club membership provides entry into select Amtrak lounges.
Hey member for years and did not know that. I have gained access to the Amtrak lounges by usually buying a F ticket but good to know in the future. Thanks for the info!!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomad420
Hey member for years and did not know that. I have gained access to the Amtrak lounges by usually buying a F ticket but good to know in the future. Thanks for the info!!
From what I understand, it is only for Club Acela and not for the Metropolitan Lounges.

Ok, the CC arrived today and I was kind of shocked at the packaging. If this is how a $450 a year card arrives, I can only imagine how the Centurion Card arrives.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 11, 2017 at 7:29 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by seat38a
Ok, the CC arrived today and I was kind of shocked at the packaging. If this is how a $450 a year card arrives, I can only imagine how the Centurion Card arrives.

LOL, my same card comes in a simple envelope!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomad420
LOL, my same card comes in a simple envelope!
I was expecting a simple envelope as well
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I used to buy my membership and for a while used miles to buy for me and my other half. A while ago, I passed 2 million mark and was rewarded with lifetime membership.

Well, my card says I have lifetime membership. The app says it expires on December 31, 2099! I don't expect to live 82 more years.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
As crowded as many United Clubs are, I appreciate having a place to go to in bleak airports like IAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.