Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA611 sfo yyc August 2 2017 late bags

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
UA611 sfo yyc August 2 2017 late bags

Hello

So tonight we fly into yyc and as usual UA is in the furthest gate from customs , regardless the signs point and say an 8 minute walk. One of the moving sidewalks were not moving so that leg was walked at normal.

When we were parking At the gate there were no ground crew with the batons, the pilot pulled up stopped and we got off, he must have left the APU running as air was still blowing and no GPU as no ground crew, the girls were there to move the jet bridge

We ALL got through immigration and then waited for 1hr 15 min for a crew to unload our plane and bring our stuff in.

So because I live here part time , I can live without that bag.

What is the airline protocol if AI just went threw customs like "lost" luggage after 20 min r so

Would the airline get it to m in their nickel?

We had one GS , maybe they found hers....... is that included

And I hit premier platinum somewhere on UA99 Mel lax
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
^ If you declare a bag missing, you have to go to CBSA secondary customs to have your bag cleared and/or declared lost. They will send the bag out of customs in bond status and then UA can can either deliver the bag to you or have you come out to the airport and pick up. The CBSA process negates any advantage to just leaving before bags are dropped onto the carousel.

As for UA at YYC, the ramp contractor just started scanning all bag tags as they are loaded or unloaded from the aircraft.

Further, UA and AC are now linked for One Stop Security (OSS) connection pax. This complicates the bag delivery process because some bags go onto a connection belt where as before all bags were put onto the arrival belt.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
Hello

So tonight we fly into yyc and as usual UA is in the furthest gate from customs , regardless the signs point and say an 8 minute walk. One of the moving sidewalks were not moving so that leg was walked at normal.

When we were parking At the gate there were no ground crew with the batons, the pilot pulled up stopped and we got off, he must have left the APU running as air was still blowing and no GPU as no ground crew, the girls were there to move the jet bridge

We ALL got through immigration and then waited for 1hr 15 min for a crew to unload our plane and bring our stuff in.

So because I live here part time , I can live without that bag.

What is the airline protocol if AI just went threw customs like "lost" luggage after 20 min r so

Would the airline get it to m in their nickel?

We had one GS , maybe they found hers....... is that included

And I hit premier platinum somewhere on UA99 Mel lax
Customs is the biggest complication...you need to fill out the regular lost bag form, plus the customs form. Whether an agent at the desk would even let you do the regular bag form if the bags hadn't been loaded on the belt yet, is a completely other question.

If you just abondoned the bag, not sure what would happen. It would need to clear customs to get to you. Maybe UA would call eventually, I dont know. Certainly, I wouldn't test the process. As for bag delivery, I assume you would either be charged or would have to come to retrieve the bag yourself. I wouldn't expect if I abondoned a bag that the airline should pay to deliver it.

Unfortunately, bag offloading doesn't happen quickly. I frequently travel to YYZ - they are much better, IME, at UA in the last 6 months or so, but prior usually took at least 30 minutes to offload the bags to the belt. That's not even that bad - I've had way worse experiences in YYZ - off of AC, TK, etc. where the bags take over an hour for the first ones to appear.

With UA, I came in to EWR in January from HKG on UA (conected from CX from BKK). We were late arriving into HKG and barely made the connection...the dozen or so of us that came from that flight were the last bags to come off the belt....at 90 minutes after arrival. The first bag didn't appear until an hour after arrival. Not sure what was going on...there definitely didn't appear to be a lot of other flights coming in. I missed my connection at EWR, as well, because....well, we missed the bag cutoff because the bags took so long. I checked with the bag desk before that point, because I really didn't want to miss the confirmed flight...basically same situation with customs and they weren't going to let me claim it anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.