Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why so little service NYC-LON?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Let's also remember that taxes and surcharges in London are higher than elsewhere in Europe. I am happy to find another city to connect in rather than London. I will fly to London only if I plan to stay in England.

Perhaps United is actually doing something smart for a change by focusing only on O/D at LHR.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hirohito888

Moreover, flights from US connecting in FRA/MUC do not need to go through security again in FRA/MUC, you leave the plane airside post-security, which saves a lot of time compared to the security nonsense at LHR.
Sounds like you haven't made Z to B connection at FRA.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by TomMM
Sounds like you haven't made Z to B connection at FRA.
FRA can be a pain to connect due to size, but you don't generally have to go through security theater for a US to non-Schengen connection there. Zurich is really easy, but with a lot less onward flight options. Munich is better than Frankfurt, plus other *A options like Brussels and Copenhagen
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catocony
FRA can be a pain to connect due to size, but you don't generally have to go through security theater for a US to non-Schengen connection there. Zurich is really easy, but with a lot less onward flight options. Munich is better than Frankfurt, plus other *A options like Brussels and Copenhagen
Sounds like you haven't made many US to non-Schengen connections at FRA.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
Let's also remember that taxes and surcharges in London are higher than elsewhere in Europe. I am happy to find another city to connect in rather than London. I will fly to London only if I plan to stay in England.
Your point doesn't make much sense from the tax perspective. The main tax difference between LON and other European gateways is UK APD, which is about $200 for premium class departures ex-LON. However that tax isn't payable if connecting in LON.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TomMM
Sounds like you haven't made many US to non-Schengen connections at FRA.
While I also have not personally made many of these connections in FRA I know my way around there pretty well, and from that I am pretty certain that there is NO security necessary from Z to B - unless you do not follow the right path.

Coming from non-Schengen B to Z is a different animal, though - this requires an additional security check.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
With connecting flights at LHR the taxes are only nominally higher when compared to connecting at continental airports like FRA and CDG. When LHR is your departure origin is when the tax burden increases dramatically.

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Plus it must be more biased towards O/D traffic due to the lack of a *A hub at LHR.
Have you been to LHR T2 lately?

SL
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IggySD
Because UA retreated from this market several years ago. They used to be competitive with AA (several years ago AA and BA flights JFK-LHR were not eligible for code shares / award redemptions on the non metal carrier) and DL was far behind with mostly LGW slots. The other two airlines did what was necessary to increase their presence in the market, UA did not (or was unable to). Although the final JFK surrender occurred during the Smisek regime I do recall this capitulation had its origins prior to the merger.
Good memory; UA abandoned NYC-LON. After emerging from Ch 11, UA lost over $100 million in the first half of 2006. UA was not winning in the JFK-LON market, and thus sold its NYC-LON route to Delta for $21 million in July, 2006.

Of course, Delta could not fly to Heathrow (Bermuda ll) and thus UA moved its JFK-LHR slots to other hubs while DL flew to LGW until open skies in early 2008 when it and all other airlines could buy LHR slots.

BA and AA owned the NYC-LON market, and it made sense for UA to reallocate its LHR slots elsewhere. It re-entered the NYC-LHR market with the CO merger, and its current service is probably right-sized for Newark-LHR. BA/AA and DL/VS own the NYC-LON market, so why upsize the capacity when it would probably generate losses?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
However that tax isn't payable if connecting in LON.
UA isn't the most accurate for calculating the correct APD.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by djohannw
While I also have not personally made many of these connections in FRA I know my way around there pretty well, and from that I am pretty certain that there is NO security necessary from Z to B - unless you do not follow the right path.
Really? I do this all the time and I always have to clear security in B. Can I ask you for more details on the appropriate thread?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that UA is simply not filling their planes.

I flew EWR-LHR in July on the day flight and Y was half full at best. I didn't bother looking into Y+ or any sort of premium cabin option because I knew that I'd have a whole row to myself.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by diburning
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that UA is simply not filling their planes.

I flew EWR-LHR in July on the day flight and Y was half full at best. I didn't bother looking into Y+ or any sort of premium cabin option because I knew that I'd have a whole row to myself.
BA and AA also regularly don't fill their planes in Y on the NYC-LON route. The rationale is that it is better overall to have as much frequency as reasonably manageable on the route to satisfy the business market, than to fill every plane all the time right to the back.

The same rationale applies to UA, for whom even the 5 frequencies is probably more than strictly necessary, but this keeps them competitive.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
BA and AA also regularly don't fill their planes in Y on the NYC-LON route. The rationale is that it is better overall to have as much frequency as reasonably manageable on the route to satisfy the business market, than to fill every plane all the time right to the back.

The same rationale applies to UA, for whom even the 5 frequencies is probably more than strictly necessary, but this keeps them competitive.
The UA flights leave at good times IMO

EWR-LHR
1-08:20-20:40
2-18:00-06:20
3-18:35-06:55
4-21:00-09:20
5-21:50-10:10

Although I would prefer to have 3 leaving at around 19:20.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I'm the OP. Personally, I always found the 3 flights out of IAD (roughly 8am, 6pm, and 10pm) to be sufficient when operated with a sufficiently large aircraft. For much of the post-'06 period this was 747s and 777s, with perhaps a 767 for the AM flight. These days, it's 777 and 787s with a 757 for the AM flight. It does seem to me that United is gradually being driven out of the LHR market by competition.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by diburning

On this market, UA is going head to head with BA and VS--both offer better products and UA has never done well competing against quality airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.