Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

When to arrive at BWI for early morning flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When to arrive at BWI for early morning flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by swiftaw
Flying on UA 3573 out of BWI on Thursday morning. departure time is 5:30am, and as it's an ERJ-170 I would assume boarding will start at 5:05am

The first light rail of the day arrives at BWI at 4:50am, and I'm wondering if that's pushing it a little tight to get through security and to the gate. I do have TSA pre.

Anyone familiar with how busy BWI is first thing?
By light rail, I assume you mean light rail FROM Baltimore? The MARC train from DC stops what seems like miles away from the airport, and it take seemingly forever to wait for the shuttle bus and meander past several parking lots to get to the airport.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
By light rail, I assume you mean light rail FROM Baltimore? The MARC train from DC stops what seems like miles away from the airport, and it take seemingly forever to wait for the shuttle bus and meander past several parking lots to get to the airport.
You're talking about the shuttle bus across from the Amtrak/MARC BWI station, right? I like the shuttle bus, very frequent and a 5-minute ride to the airport.

Last month, I got off an Amtrak train at around 3:45pm, arrived at BWI airport before 4pm via the shuttle bus, stopped by the AC counter to pick up boarding passes*, and got to the gate at around 4:15 for the 5:10pm flight to YYZ on AC (boarding time was around 4:40pm).

* I wanted BPs on card stock paper since I was connecting onto the 2nd season inaugural flight from YYZ to KEF. Of course, weather disruption meant I never left BWI (flight to YYZ got cancelled). I called AC and cancelled my entire itinerary, got a last minute hotel room and cried my eyes out Traveled back on Amtrak the next day with nothing to show for, other than wasted $
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
BWI is the airport of choice in the DC area for inexperienced travelers or those needing extra assistance. Because of this, TSA checks are slow, and there always seem to be individuals with special needs or priorities cutting into TSA Pre lines -- so they are no bed of roses either. Never count on BWI TSA clearance taking less than 15-20 minutes, and it could easily be longer.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by seenitall
BWI is the airport of choice in the DC area for inexperienced travelers or those needing extra assistance. Because of this, TSA checks are slow, and there always seem to be individuals with special needs or priorities cutting into TSA Pre lines -- so they are no bed of roses either. Never count on BWI TSA clearance taking less than 15-20 minutes, and it could easily be longer.
You mean it couldn't be the fact that BWI serves more passengers than IAD?
25.12 million vs. 22.7 million.

There are plenty of inexperienced passengers everywhere...is there any reason to believe BWI has more than IAD/DCA?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
BWI has far more Loco flights than DCA or IAD. It is WN's biggest hub, is also heavy with Spirit, Allegiant, etc. They don't attract the frequent flyer. I fly from these three airports dozens of times a year, so know what to expect at each.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Rd3
Flying to Toronto from BWI--first leg leaves BWI at 5:15AM, connecting in EWR---it's my understanding that the passport check, etc. occurs before the 1st leg--BWI counter opens at 3:45AM per the website....will that be sufficient time?
Surely. iFly shows an ~11-20 minute wait at around that time. If you mean the passport check at the ticket counter, you can do that in the app. If you mean the passport check for the Toronto leg, they will do that at EWR.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:59 am

90-120 minites before the flight.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
BWI is the airport that convinced me to buy Clear. I go to the Washington area for work a lot and BWI has some of the longest PreCheck lines I've experienced. If you're going often, Clear is absolutely worth it because minus the checkpoints, BWI is very user friendly.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I was at BWI 8/8 and noticed a shuttle bus marked LIGHT RAIL. Apparently recent heavy rains damaged the tracks and it is not running all the way to the terminal, hence the bus link. I would check before making any plans.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Flood Damage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.