Wiki Posts
Search

PSP-SFO morning delays

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
PSP-SFO morning delays

Hi to anyone who is familiar with this route - I'm going to start taking it from time to time. Checking the recent flights it seems like the 6am to SFO is usually on time and the 7.35am is often an hour or two late. Today it's over 2 hours delayed for "air traffic control" The plane arrives night before from LAX so why the constant delay? SFO is only showing slight delays today... Anybody have insight..or is this just regular UA monkey business?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Hi to anyone who is familiar with this route - I'm going to start taking it from time to time. Checking the recent flights it seems like the 6am to SFO is usually on time and the 7.35am is often an hour or two late. Today it's over 2 hours delayed for "air traffic control" The plane arrives night before from LAX so why the constant delay? SFO is only showing slight delays today... Anybody have insight..or is this just regular UA monkey business?
Karl (The fog in SF) is the culprit. Add to the fact that it's not mainline It probably gets lower priority. Also CRJ200's require better landing conditions than mainline aircraft.

From the FAA website:
Due to WEATHER / LOW CEILINGS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco, CA (SFO). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 9 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".

TLDR; Not Monkey Business
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Just interesting how the 6am squeaks by. Guess that's the one to take when time matters. Yes....my friend Karl...is why I'm spending more time in PSP.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Thanks. Just interesting how the 6am squeaks by. Guess that's the one to take when time matters. Yes....my friend Karl...is why I'm spending more time in PSP.
It is all about how many landings the airport can accept. 6am already has a landing slot for 7-something AM, when arrival flow isn't too bad. Short haul aircraft can't even take off for SFO w/o a landing slot.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:37 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
The culprit is weather that turns SFO into a 1-runway landing operation. However, the typical arrival rate at SFO does not peak above the 1-runway arrivals capacity until 8/9am. So the earliest morning flights are generally safe, and starting 8/9am you see the delays start to mount.

You can see the last chart in the document here (although this is a bit old, it still generally applies):

http://media.flysfo.com/media/sfo/me...s-primer_0.pdf
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Isn't PSP going mainline soon or is that just SBA? Could be better ops with fog and what not than the RJ, right?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The 6am sneaks in before arrival traffic picks up. Any later and now you're going to be competing for slots, and a CR2 from PSP loses the decision every time.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Isn't PSP going mainline soon or is that just SBA? Could be better ops with fog and what not than the RJ, right?
Thanks everybody...being SFO based I usually depart mornings, and travel INTL so less affected.

Yes, PSP is mainline but later day flights. If I have to get back to SF in the am...it's still RJs!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
It's the same situation from LAX. Whenever I leave on a TPAC trip, I always take the 6am LAX-SFO, not even the ~ 6:50 am one. I'd rather spend the time in the SFO lounge than sweating it in the LAX one.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
It's the same situation from LAX. Whenever I leave on a TPAC trip, I always take the 6am LAX-SFO, not even the ~ 6:50 am one. I'd rather spend the time in the SFO lounge than sweating it in the LAX one.
We must be on the same flight quite often. I plan this way as well
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
When I flew ONT-SFO-CTU, I swapped the 9am for the 5:40am, which, even though it was early, did afford me the ability to watch the fog roll in.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
SBA is <25% mainline (just started in April), PSP is about half mainline (and has been so for a while)
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Going the opposite direction in order to get to the East Coast such as the 8:30 AM 772 SFO-BOS, I can only take the 6 AM LAX-SFO flight. UACO used to run ~8:30 AM 772 between SFO and EWR but now that's 6:00 AM so there's no way short of overnighting near SFO in order to make an early flight on a decently large plane to the East Coast.

David
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA-GS 3MM, AA-gold, Amtrak Select +, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors gold
The first flight of the day will soon revert to a mainline (Airbus or 737) and depart at 5:35am or so...I travel PHL/EWR-SFO-PSP-SFO-EWR every 2 weeks--out Thursdays and back Sundays...The first flight to SFO generally performs well--and even when it is delayed, the AS 6am 737 always goes..so the substitution of mainline for UAX should be a blessing.(This upcoming season all PSP><SFO Alaska flights will be handled by Virgin America aircraft BTW)
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Same from Vegas. 6am if I have an Int'l connection. Can't risk the 730 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.