Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United and TSA got into a weird Twitter tiff over Comic-Con books

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

From sfgate

A sign posted at United Airlines' check-in reportedly incorrectly instructed travelers that they must "remove all books from checked bags." When a Twitter user posted a photo of the sign, United doubled down, responding that "the restriction on checking comic books applies to all airlines operating out of San Diego this weekend and is set by the TSA." United has since apologized for the error, but not before the TSA responded to the outlandish requirement.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There have been a number of recent reports on the TSA asking for books to be removed from carry-ons during the screening process.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There have been a number of recent reports on the TSA asking for books to be removed from carry-ons during the screening process.
Yes, from carry-ons, but this was United thinking they couldn't be CHECKED. To my knowledge the only things that aren't allowed to be checked but that are allowed in carry-ons are batteries (of course, plenty of stuff is allowed in checked but not to be carried aboard).
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Removed to be screened, but not banned
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I actually have set off the luggage alarm at LAX Pre-Check two times during this 'testing period for this policy' carrying a book about 500 pages thick. Not joking.

I grumble, walk up to the agent, and ask what set it off and usually mumble that I pack my suitcase weekly and know exactly what's in it down to the number of socks, cables, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine if they flag it because they're training someone new and I always arrive early to the airport, but they targeted my textbook.

Took it out. Leafed through it. Sent it back in the scanner. Took a look at the cover. Saw that it said the word "hacker" and started playing 20 questions with me. "What do you do? Why do you have this? Do you hack? What do you hack?"

Asked if they were asking out of curiosity or out of their job capacity? Once, the screener was just curious and I answered all her questions without getting the slightest of upset. I know some people are just curious.

The second time, the screener tried to pull authority over me. He realized that was a mistake.

In the end, I have learned to never travel with books again. Just not worth it.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Removed to be screened, but not banned
And not from checked bags. That's what makes this such a total screw up. UA was telling people that their comic books had to go in their carry-ons. Which is exactly what TSA does not want.

UA's ability to stay in the headlines with customer service blunders is simply amazing.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by villox
Yes, from carry-ons, but this was United thinking they couldn't be CHECKED. To my knowledge the only things that aren't allowed to be checked but that are allowed in carry-ons are batteries (of course, plenty of stuff is allowed in checked but not to be carried aboard).
There have been a number of recent events - mostly Super Bowl and Final 4 - where passengers were specifically asked to not put the game programs (i.e. books) in their checked bags as they will require a secondary screening of the luggage via the automated systems used. It is not prohibited but strongly recommended so as to not have a mass of bags hit secondary and end up not on the scheduled flight because the TSA cannot clear it in time.

I would not be surprised to learn that some of the comic books have similar paper/hologram content as the event programs that trigger the issue.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
And not from checked bags. That's what makes this such a total screw up. UA was telling people that their comic books had to go in their carry-ons. Which is exactly what TSA does not want.
No, this IS what TSA want - or at least, what they prefer.

If the books are in checked luggage and they trigger an alarm then TSA has to unpack the bag to check the books which is far more effort than if the same happens for carry-on.

Where UA went wrong here was taking a recommendation/preference from TSA and turning it into an apparent requirement.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by sbm12
There have been a number of recent events - mostly Super Bowl and Final 4 - where passengers were specifically asked to not put the game programs (i.e. books) in their checked bags as they will require a secondary screening of the luggage via the automated systems used. It is not prohibited but strongly recommended so as to not have a mass of bags hit secondary and end up not on the scheduled flight because the TSA cannot clear it in time.
Is just ONE program going to set it off, because I can't imagine that many people having more than one program in their bag. And if just one or two, that would also apply to people carrying any book in their bags.

comic books I can see since there's so many of them, but just ONE game program.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is just ONE program going to set it off, because I can't imagine that many people having more than one program in their bag. ....
Many folks get extra Super Bowl /Final 4 souvenir programs -- very common.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:49 pm

Is just ONE program going to set it off,
Potentially yes.

And if just one or two, that would also apply to people carrying any book in their bags.
Not necessarily

comic books I can see since there's so many of them, but just ONE game program.
One program made with heavy duty, high gloss paper and often with holograms inside. It is enough to trigger the systems. And it is much faster and easier to clear the exception upstairs than in the checked baggage system.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:35 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
From the NYT reportage of this UAL miscommunication:
“Sadly, the technology doesn’t currently exist to create a real lightsaber,” the T.S.A.’s website says. “However, you can pack a toy lightsaber in your carry-on or checked bag. May the force be with you.”
It's pretty sad when even the TSA is cooler than you are.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:48 pm

TSA probably said something like "it'd be a mess for us if everyone of those nerds had a bunch of books in their checked bag and we have to do manual screening for all of em. Would be good if the airlines could help us out with that". And UA went the extra mile..not for the customer but for their security 'partner'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.