Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

My Mileage Plus Gold is not recognized by other Star Alliance Airlines! Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Mileage Plus Gold is not recognized by other Star Alliance Airlines! Why?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GeP
It's been happening to me regularly with LH, LX and OS in the last year or more, in particular when doing online check-in.

At the counter, often (but not always) removing the Mileage Plus number and entering it again helped. It's painful, though, since it requires seeing a counter even when traveling with carry on only and limits seat selection during check in.

I would not be surprised for this to be related to United's new Mileage Plus account numbers they introduced a few years ago - from purely numeric to alphanumeric. LH, at least, still seems to convert this to the original number internally, even if my travel agency puts it in properly or I do so online. And TK's new web site does not allow entering any characters, only digits.
I regularly have this problem and agree with your hypothesis. Force the number out, then re-enter it. But *G doesn't really help you with LH seat selection.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
I just flew SAS onto LH/LH sectors to BOM - neither airline would acknowledge the UA*G number as *G!

Had to show physical card to all - and even the LH lounge dragons couldn't get the Altea system to show it as *G - only "UA P".

Now, flying on Swiss on a UA award and the system is not even letting me OLCI!

Both the normal agent and the OLCI websupport agent couldn't see my *G status either.

Something is seriously broken...

My TA (a FT member) is saying that SHARES' interface to Amadeus is broken - which is the reason for the problem.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I just flew SAS onto LH/LH sectors to BOM - neither airline would acknowledge the UA*G number as *G!

Had to show physical card to all - and even the LH lounge dragons couldn't get the Altea system to show it as *G - only "UA P".

Now, flying on Swiss on a UA award and the system is not even letting me OLCI!

Both the normal agent and the OLCI websupport agent couldn't see my *G status either.

Something is seriously broken...

My TA (a FT member) is saying that SHARES' interface to Amadeus is broken - which is the reason for the problem.
This matches my experiences. About half the time, LH systems (e.g. Senator lounge) don't recognize *A status, and I have to show my UA card. When traveling on an award ticket on Swiss, the ZRH lounge agents shunted me into the business rather than the Senator lounge until I showed them the card.

Then again, sometimes it works without an issue. Other times they can apparently see that I'm *something*, so they ask for the card to see what that something actually is.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Never, in all the years I have been flying LH as a UA*G has the scanner not recognised my status. EW, now that's something altogether different!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by itsMoe
This matches my experiences. About half the time, LH systems (e.g. Senator lounge) don't recognize *A status, and I have to show my UA card. When traveling on an award ticket on Swiss, the ZRH lounge agents shunted me into the business rather than the Senator lounge until I showed them the card.

Then again, sometimes it works without an issue. Other times they can apparently see that I'm *something*, so they ask for the card to see what that something actually is.
This never used to happen about 3-4 years ago - but then LH was using Pictures - and now LX is also using a customized version of Altea as well - no obvious printout of *A status on the BP on an award, but the LX staff stated that they could see my status in the system - which they tried to show me.

I didn't have time to really observe it in detail, but just took a photograph of it and will review later...

In any case, LH flights posted immediately in my MP account, with SK sectors posting 2-3 days afterwards.

Both beat UA's record of posting travel on their own metal - usually takes 4+ days to get it shown in the system!

Further, due to fact that I had to delay a revenue sector I was taking from Denmark on SK, they postponed 1 flight for me - but then never reticketed it!

I almost missed the second (postponed) flight because the agent at the airport had no clue about how to reissue the BP/reinstate the ticket - as only the domestic sector was showing and not the longhaul. I had to tell her to use the ticket number to do that! Truly amazing!

Nowadays nobody appears to know what they are doing!

SK is also using Altea apparently as well - an insane monopoly by Amadeus...
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:31 am
GeP

It's even more bizarre as I noticed: I just flew an itinary with the first flight on LH followed by flights with UA and thusly had to check in via lufthansa.com. The boarding passes then showed UA*G for the legs with United - and UAP for the leg with Lufthansa. Really?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:39 am
GeP

Originally Posted by dcfromdc
Is there a good chance that my old card with an expired validity date will swipe and work if I can convince the check-in agent to accept it (in order to add my UAMP to my journey)? Otherwise, can check-in agents manually key-in the number if I show them the digital card on the UA app?
In my experience over many years, United's cards essentially never swipe
with any of their partners. Check-in agents, however, always can enter the number directly (whether you present the card or not).

I checked over at the Turkish forum and there is a thread about TK launching a [beta?] new website. It looks quite nice. And most importantly, I was able to add my UAMP number! I called them up and they confirmed that my UAMP number is now attached to my reservation for this weekend. I'm positively floored (considering the hot mess that was TK's old website)..
End of June this year, I could successfully only enter my MileagePlus on TK's old website and only use my Diners card to pay on TK's new website. Happy to hear they have fixed the new site to also accept MileagePlus numbers now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.