Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many people can you cram in two business class seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many people can you cram in two business class seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by SamOF
How to Win Friends and Influence People
I don't pay for F to become the FA's friend.

Somebody at UA who apparently knows what they are talking about issued a policy and filed it with FAA, prohibiting Y to F movement.

If that rule is a bad idea, change it, file the change with FAA and be done with it. If it's not, "counsel" cabin crew who can't be bothered.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I sat across the aisle from someone in GF who plopped an infant in a carrier at her feet where it stayed the entire flight. Luckily, the child was silent, or I would have screamed bloody murder.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:14 pm

I have seen visiting in the Front Cabin and depending on the situation, I am okay with it.

I have witnessed a husband visit his wife, an older child (40s) visiting his Grandmother (who he gave his upgrade to) who did not speak English to translate for the Flight Attendant and to ensure that she was comfortable.

I do believe that it should be on a case by case basis as very little is one size fits all.

Same goes for using the front lavatory, it should be on a case by case basis.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Classes below J need to stay in Y. The only time a Y pax should be in the area is during boarding and deplaning.

That behavior is akin to taking doggie bags from a buffet. Tacky, classless, and rude.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Classes below J need to stay in Y. The only time a Y pax should be in the area is during boarding and deplaning.
Let's hope you never personally suffer a serious inflight medical emergency with the only doctor on board being a tacky, classless Y pax.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That behavior is akin to taking doggie bags from a buffet. Tacky, classless, and rude.
Wow, just wow, can't believe I just read that. A coach person in business class being compared to stealing from a buffet. Still can't believe what I just read.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by hoopics
The answer is four, BTW. Two adults and two lap children. I've seen this -- a couple with a pair of what I estimate were ~18 month old twins on a flight from either BRU or GVA to IAD. I know it was a pmUA 76-3 which is why the route sticks out. It was a daytime flight, and fortunately a smooth one at that, as they basically turned the aisle seat into a flat fence and let the kids stand up, sit down, play around in the area between that and the window. The kids were reasonably well behaved so I found it amusing more than anything else. But that's very different from your scenario.
An FA can correct this, but my recollection is that there are only three oxygen masks per pair of seats. So that would limit the pair to ONE lap child. Happy to be corrected if that's wrong.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Slouchman
I. I let this go for a couple hours then finally decide I have had enough of the extra person jumping around in my line of sight. I have a talk with the purser quietly and she again sends the interloper back to economy again.
You are much more patient than I am. 15 minutes would have been my outside limit.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:23 pm

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, I don't agree for a variety of reasons, but there are exceptions and obviously they should be on a case by case basis.

My Father in his retirement flies to/from PBI fairly frequently and on a few flights he has remarked about an elderly person from coach who came forward to use lav and was sent back, had an accident and for the rest of the flight many had to smell it. In that case, I would feel that of the passenger if due to age or other issue should be allowed to use any lavatory, not just the one in the back.

Last edited by kmersh; Jul 18, 2017 at 7:53 pm Reason: Cut off part of my sentence.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
When UA was flying the pre-IPTE 777s on IAHHNL, I had the displeasure of traveling to Hawaii with my now-ex mother-in-law. My ex-wife and I were up in First and I had been kind enough to upgrade the in-laws to Business. Apparently she didn't think that was good enough so decided to come up to F and chat with the wife because she felt left out sitting in Business while I was stretching my legs and chatting in the galley with the FA (groaning about the dreaded family vacation). Happened to glance back into the cabin and noticed monster-in-law in my seat and jokingly said something to the FA about bouncing her back to Business; he said"let me take care of that for you." Well the look of shock on her face was priceless when I happened to notice the exchange....let's just say it was a showdown of queens and the FA won. Naturally when we landed monster-in-law was complaining about the rude FA and how she couldn't understand what the problem was. I think I may have wrote UA customer service commending the crew on such "fine" in-flight service.
I'm laughing out loud - this wins post of the week!

Last year, my spouse and I were in 1A and 1K on the 747. We realized during boarding an old buddy was back in Business on the main deck. After reaching cruise and the seat-belt sign came off, we asked the FA if we could bring him up to catch up for a few minutes. She said, "Of course!" I went back and grabbed him; he came up and we chatted for 5-8 minutes, one of us sitting in 1A and the other two of us standing up by the front closet. As the drinks were served and tables starting to be set, he went back to his seat. We met up again in line for passport control and chatted again.

My point: this can work well if you ask first and then keep it quiet and brief (and not during a time when a lot of people are trying to sleep).

JK-SFO
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by JK-SFO

Last year, my spouse and I were in 1A and 1K on the 747. We realized during boarding an old buddy was back in Business on the main deck. After reaching cruise and the seat-belt sign came off, we asked the FA if we could bring him up to catch up for a few minutes. She said, "Of course!" I went back and grabbed him; he came up and we chatted for 5-8 minutes, one of us sitting in 1A and the other two of us standing up by the front closet. As the drinks were served and tables starting to be set, he went back to his seat. We met up again in line for passport control and chatted again.

My point: this can work well if you ask first and then keep it quiet and brief (and not during a time when a lot of people are trying to sleep).

JK-SFO
Agreed, it can work and again it is as much about the people involved as it is the process.

If people are respectful and act appropriately as this poster relayed, it can work perfectly fine.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Let's hope you never personally suffer a serious inflight medical emergency with the only doctor on board being a tacky, classless Y pax.
False equivalence. Such a situation is not class squatting or benefit splitting. Although given the choice, I would rather be attended to by a doc from J or F.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Although given the choice, I would rather be attended to by a doc from J or F.
Of course.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by JK-SFO
I think the one below trumps it.

........I would rather be attended to by a doc from J or F.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

False equivalence. Such a situation is not class squatting or benefit splitting. Although given the choice, I would rather be attended to by a doc from J or F.
Why? Seems ridiculous to me. Just as many rich doctors that fly F or J get sued as ones that fly in coach. Money doesn't make a doctor good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.