Wiki Posts
Search

Headed to Australia as a 1k

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United-1k, Marriott-Lifetime Plat
Headed to Australia as a 1k

Taking my wife on a 2 week cruise in October/November to Sydney and then return from Auckland. I just hit 1k this year so have my full allotment of GPU and CPUs.

I am trying to successfully use my GPUs each way to Sydney and return from Auckland. Any tips? Looks to be more availability on Sundays rather than during the week. No R availability as of yet.

I know to book a W fare but anything else that would help??
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bwg03
Good luck. Typically considered a VERY difficult upgrade to get.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
I'm in the same boat as you. Have 4 people going SFO - SYD and then SYD - LAX.

Used 2 GPUs to clear the inbounds, waitlisted for 2 seats on the outbound, used miles for the other 2 tickets.

AKL - LAX and back I believe is suspended as a seasonality thing, so only ANZ flies it right now as a partner of UA.

I just keep checking the R space for the outbound, but as other posters have said, it's a VERY hard upgrade.

I've already pulled my strings with some family friends too to try to get them upgraded.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I was recently in Sydney for a short trip (out Wed night, back Mon morning), down on W back on V, booked about 1.5-2 months before going and availability was wide open during the week. Was instantly confirmed on the way down and on the way up confirmed a few days after. There were even seats empty in business on my flight back up to SFO.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I am trying to successfully use my GPUs each way to Sydney and return from Auckland. Any tips? Looks to be more availability on Sundays rather than during the week. No R availability as of yet.

Like @mrt88, I believe Tuesday/Wednesdays are your best shot. I've booked a trip to Sydney (from LAX) and returning from Auckland (to SFO to LAX) and successfully applied my GPU's at booking. Don't go by seat maps for availability, go by the fare classes being sold.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Like @mrt88, I believe Tuesday/Wednesdays are your best shot. I've booked a trip to Sydney (from LAX) and returning from Auckland (to SFO to LAX) and successfully applied my GPU's at booking. Don't go by seat maps for availability, go by the fare classes being sold.
+1 for Mon/Tue/Wed as the best days for upgrades. Unlike others in this thread I wouldn't characterize ANZ as a very hard upgrade. Had no trouble finding many dates with R space last Feb/March, although loads look higher right now.

But some other important tips:
- Most W fares don't have any advance purchase at all, and those that do are usually close-in. If your cruise plans can afford it, don't choose a flight until you see R space, and don't be afraid to wait.
- If you feel up to complicated itineraries (will require split ticket connections), MEL/LAX is an easier upgrade than SYD. e.g. with only a little searching 10/10 LAX-MEL is R1.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Taking my wife on a 2 week cruise in October/November to Sydney and then return from Auckland. I just hit 1k this year so have my full allotment of GPU and CPUs.

The UA AKL thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post28208741
The UA SYD MEL thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post27954732
May be of interest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.