Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Surprise Hot Meal Service on BNA to ORD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by dilanesp
How much of a government subsidy do you suppose Singapore Airlines gets? If the US government gave UA a big subsidy, you might see lobster on its flights too.
I'm glad you mentioned this.

I'm aware of plenty of subsidies to United, in addition to legal protections that prevent passengers from suing them, restrictions on foreign ownership by their competitors, etc.

http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com/2017/07/21/10-ways-taxpayers-subsidize-u-s-airlines/

Singapore Air stands in stark contrast to the Rent Seekers at United et al:

https://www.export.gov/article?id=Singapore-Competition-from-State-Owned-Enterprises
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I'm glad you mentioned this.

I'm aware of plenty of subsidies to United, in addition to legal protections that prevent passengers from suing them, restrictions on foreign ownership by their competitors, etc.

http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com/2017/07/21/10-ways-taxpayers-subsidize-u-s-airlines/

Singapore Air stands in stark contrast to the Rent Seekers at United et al:

https://www.export.gov/article?id=Singapore-Competition-from-State-Owned-Enterprises
Not to take this too far OT but while I agree that poster was wrong - Singapore is very thinly subsidized, that BoardingArea "article" by "Matthew" is complete BS. Goes 0/10 in identifying a direct government subsidy and mischaracterizes 8 of 10 listed activities. Example: "US Airlines are Subsidized because they are entitled to bankruptcy protection" LOL that's the same Ch. 11 reorganization bankruptcy protection almost all US companies are entitled to.

On topic -
OP- what were the entree choices?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dilanesp
How much of a government subsidy do you suppose Singapore Airlines gets? If the US government gave UA a big subsidy, you might see lobster on its flights too.
Nothing direct; indirect is arguable, much like the US airlines.

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
----------------
Why do you have to qualify the FA's as sub-Continental ? News Flash.....the merger occurred in 2012.....we are now in 2018.
Because the FAs are still not one unified work group, and don't act like one.
iluv2fly and NoLaGent like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato
If you were flying a decent airline (Lufthansa, Singapore, etc.) this wouldn't be a surprise. It would be normal. I just flew a 2 hour hour flight on Singapore, where I got to "book the chef". Lobster thermidor. Yum. Never on United.
Last time I checked, none of the US airlines were really considering fully international carriers that don’t serve domestic routes they compete on as relevant competition.

If you’d like to talk about competing with them and offering the same services for everything - how does not getting into the premium cabin unless you (gasp!) pay for it in cash - sound? Or their compensation structure (for the record...last time I had issues with IFE on SFO-HKG-SIN - the whole way (only partially functioning, and both me and wife), SQ gave us 75 SGD credit to their duty free catalog, and they didn’t even have 2 of the 3 things we wanted...compared to the last time I had partially working IFE on UA, when I got a $250 voucher). Or the FF program, which in many ways is much worse than on UA. But now we’re getting a bit OT.

Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by kale73

The post to which you are responding was made nine months ago - in 2017 - around the same babies born today were conceived.

-----
So nine months ago would have made it just over 5 years since the merger - a little ridiculous to refer to "sub-CO" FA's after five years......don't they ALL work for the SAME airline ?, .....oh but I guess that wasn't/isn't important enough to make for a consistent experience for passengers or for more unified FA workforce. (Sarcasm not being directed toward you or the OP). When again is the true merger for CO and UA flight attendants going to happen - really something like 2019 or 2020 ?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:43 pm

(Reads OP’s recap, vaguely remembers a similar story, reads first reply, realizes it was me replying, a whole year ago).

Joking aside, this is very common for ex-CO elite’s and ex-UA elites. Many flyers still feel attached to their “old” airline, and the FA’s are still segregated.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this thread has derailed with two unreleated to OP sub-themes (which have both repeatedly covered), will close the the thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.