Surprise Hot Meal Service on BNA to ORD

Old Jul 5, 17, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Surprise Hot Meal Service on BNA to ORD

Yesterday's mainline flight from BNA to ORD (410mi, 1h10min flight time) served us a choice of hot entree, warmed cookie, and two drink services while aloft. Like most short hops from Chicago, it was scheduled for refreshments (a.k.a. snack basket). DEN based sCO FAs did a great job delivering service on such a short flight.

How common is it for United to underpromise and overdeliver so drastically for catering like this? Was it a special fourth of July treat?

(One demerit: The guy in back of me and I were both drinking Buffalo Trace, so they ran out)
Old Jul 5, 17, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by jsl42 View Post
Yesterday's mainline flight from BNA to ORD (410mi, 1h10min flight time) served us a choice of hot entree, warmed cookie, and two drink services while aloft. Like most short hops from Chicago, it was scheduled for refreshments (a.k.a. snack basket). DEN based sCO FAs did a great job delivering service on such a short flight.

How common is it for United to underpromise and overdeliver so drastically for catering like this? Was it a special fourth of July treat?

(One demerit: The guy in back of me and I were both drinking Buffalo Trace, so they ran out)
That's very un-common, probably a mis-cater.

Just like how sometimes there there is no meal on the 4hr flight, sometimes there are meals on shorter flights if they are catered. If it is so so short though, they will often not serve it as there isn't enough time.

Glad you got the pleasant surprise!
Old Jul 5, 17, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Kudos to the crew for serving the meal. Most (I suspect) would not.
Old Jul 5, 17, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Gold
I assume you were in F and not Y. Otherwise that would be a real shocker.
Old Jul 5, 17, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Kudos to the crew for serving the meal. Most (I suspect) would not.
I agree. I talked to them and they were shocked the flight was catered (in EWR, I assume) like that for such a short flight. I wrote in to 1K Voice to commend the cabin crew after the fact. I didn't even mention that they neglected to provide the hot nuts!

Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
I assume you were in F and not Y. Otherwise that would be a real shocker.
Yes. Good assumption.
Old Apr 8, 18, 8:30 am
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I have this flight booked as well and it shows Meal Service: Dinner. Doesn't make sense! I wonder why they serve Dinner on this route.
Old Apr 8, 18, 8:36 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mdanner423 View Post
I wonder why they serve Dinner on this route.
Maybe a bigshot takes it often?
Old Apr 8, 18, 9:03 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Had it happen once on a short hop from ORD-OMA. Last minute aircraft swap because of IRROPS.

Old Apr 8, 18, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mdanner423 View Post
I have this flight booked as well and it shows Meal Service: Dinner. Doesn't make sense! I wonder why they serve Dinner on this route.
Local airport authority needs some bribing?
Old Apr 8, 18, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe United thought Delta was doing it.
Scifience likes this.
Old Apr 8, 18, 12:34 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador
If you were flying a decent airline (Lufthansa, Singapore, etc.) this wouldn't be a surprise. It would be normal. I just flew a 2 hour hour flight on Singapore, where I got to "book the chef". Lobster thermidor. Yum. Never on United.
Old Apr 8, 18, 12:38 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by jsl42 View Post

----------------
Why do you have to qualify the FA's as sub-Continental ? News Flash.....the merger occurred in 2012.....we are now in 2018.
Old Apr 8, 18, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: RCC: SC; BC: M.Ed.; UA: PG; DL: GM
Originally Posted by FlyingNone View Post
----------------
Why do you have to qualify the FA's as sub-Continental ? News Flash.....the merger occurred in 2012.....we are now in 2018.
The post to which you are responding was made nine months ago - in 2017 - around the same babies born today were conceived.
Old Apr 8, 18, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingNone View Post
----------------
The issue is that the cabin crews are still working as two separate airlines. In almost all cases, pmCO crews work on pmCO aircraft and vice versa. Apparently they have agreement and the software to merge crews, but it won’t be finalized until later this year.
Old Apr 8, 18, 1:59 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by porciuscato View Post
If you were flying a decent airline (Lufthansa, Singapore, etc.) this wouldn't be a surprise. It would be normal. I just flew a 2 hour hour flight on Singapore, where I got to "book the chef". Lobster thermidor. Yum. Never on United.
How much of a government subsidy do you suppose Singapore Airlines gets? If the US government gave UA a big subsidy, you might see lobster on its flights too.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: