Wiki Posts
Search

Best United routing to KUL?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS & 1MM, Delta Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Best United routing to KUL?

Heading to KUL end of July. Anyone have suggestions for their favorite/easiest routing? I will be flying Biz Class.
Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Where are you flying from?

I like ANA to KUL, SQ is another option from SIN.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There's a super cheap fare ($2900) from LAX via NRT right now.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
At the advice of others on here, I did xxx-iad-(ANA j)NRT-(ANA regional j)-Kul.

Used a you to upgrade to F. What. An. Experience!!!!!!!!!!

However, ANA regional j, uh. Stinks. So, 7 hours (iirc) in crappy j to experience 15 in awesome f.

When I go again in October I will route LH or BA east from eastern us. I don't like LONG daytime flights
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
At the advice of others on here, I did xxx-iad-(ANA j)NRT-(ANA regional j)-Kul.

Used a you to upgrade to F. What. An. Experience!!!!!!!!!!

However, ANA regional j, uh. Stinks. So, 7 hours (iirc) in crappy j to experience 15 in awesome f.

When I go again in October I will route LH or BA east from eastern us. I don't like LONG daytime flights
I didn't mind ANA J on the 788, but most of their 788 fleet lacks all-aisle access, if that's important to you. HND-KUL will be switching to the 789, which is all-aisle.. but not until later in the year.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Plus the Ramen is delicious on ANA! I think the service is outstanding overall on ANA!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by CMHBIZTraveler
Heading to KUL end of July. Anyone have suggestions for their favorite/easiest routing? I will be flying Biz Class.
Thanks!
First choice: EVA via TPE, with the note that it would probably be an A321 TPE-KUL. Enough time for a shower and breakfast at the nice TPE lounge before continuing.

Second, ANA, as above.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I flew SQ A350 recently and love the aircraft.
If you are not looking to sleep much on the flight, fly the direct SQ SFO-SIN on the A350. Fantastic IFE, wide spacious seats, great wine/champagne choices, gourmet coffee, and great food (also "Chef on Board" option) is available.

When you land in SIN, a nice Silverkris Lounge awaits you with a nice shower and a full spread to food and beverage options. A short 45-min flight from SIN to KUL is an added bonus after such a long transpac flight.

The downside is SQ business seat, although spacious and nicely fitted with leathers, is not comfortable to sleep in. Also not sure the layover time in SIN is.

Not an ANA fan at all. It just does not fit my DNA. Slow service, robotic FA, below average IFE English contents and not sure about the food, neither. I'd fly UA over ANA. No footrest in the C seat unless you fully extended your leg at 90 degree angle to your body in the sitting position) to the cubby hole in front of you. A seat design flaw (on 777 and 787-9), IMHO. That 7-hour intra-Asia flight is just too much for me after a long transpac flight.

EVA 77W C cabin service, seat, food and beverage are all nice!

Just my personal opinion....
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Good advice found above. That said, if you have some time on your outbound, here is what I do (travel the route 4x per year). Take the new 77W SFO-HKG, and connect to SIN on 895. Overnight (after the long flight) at the airport in SIN as catch the short hop to KUL on Silkair.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
UA to HKG or SIN and then one of the million daily flights to KUL.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
I wrapped up a six month assignment in KL just over two months ago. I had three round trips to KUL during the same. Out of TPA, I generally flew TPA-IAH-NRT-KUL. I chose ANA as I wasn't a fan of the available UA hard product in J. I found ANA to be a wonderful experience and they have become one of my preferred carriers across the pacific. The 77W fleet has all aisle access in J which I enjoy. Meals were pretty solid (I mostly chose the Japanese option). Also, their anytime meals were quite good. As others mentioned, the IFE may leave a bit to be desired, but I found it okay. The 787s that fly to KUL have 2-2-2 recliners in J and are MEH. Overall though, I really liked ANA.

On one of my trips, I did try UA, flying TPA-SFO-SIN-KUL. The UA flights were "ok". FAs were not as pleasant as those on ANA and on the SFO-SIN flight, the "anytime" meals were only available several hours after dinner was served. I found that to be a bit odd as the menu clearly stated they could be orders anytime. Also, the 789 was far from a private experience given the 2-2-2 cabin.

If I could have chosen the Polaris hard product perhaps I would have enjoyed UA more. But I wasn't able to during my assignment. Thus, I stuck mostly with ANA.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
Some points of sale will try to offer UA1/2 connecting to MH/Silkair flights to KUL.

Don't take those! The connection on the inbound is perilously short and any delays will mean a whole day in SIN (not always bad, but if you're flying in J you're probably somewhat time-sensitive)

Same applies to flying nonstop SQ 31/32, but with them you can at least choose the evening 1-stop out of SIN (SQ2) instead.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by Enhancements
Some points of sale will try to offer UA1/2 connecting to MH/Silkair flights to KUL.

Don't take those! The connection on the inbound is perilously short and any delays will mean a whole day in SIN (not always bad, but if you're flying in J you're probably somewhat time-sensitive)

Same applies to flying nonstop SQ 31/32, but with them you can at least choose the evening 1-stop out of SIN (SQ2) instead.
I couldn't even get a connection via my POS. I booked a flight in AirAsia from SIN to KUL myself .
Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: Milage Plus 1K 1.3MM, Marriot LT Platinum
Moin!

Originally Posted by Denolloyd
I couldn't even get a connection via my POS. I booked a flight in AirAsia from SIN to KUL myself .
Same here. I did book Singapore Airlines and they did check my luggage all the way (KUL -> SIN -> HKG -> SFO) when connecting to United in Singapore (not sure on the other way as I had a stopover).

So long
-Ralf
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS & 1MM, Delta Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Thanks all. I am traveling out of CMH. Opted to route through Denver on the 787 and then actually fly JAL to Kuala Lumpur. Couldn't stick on Star Alliance for last leg due to meeting times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.