Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United: Please Stop Assuming Int'l P Fares are Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt

Last month, I purchased SNA-LIS as a round-trip, with the return being LIS-EWR-SNA. Fast forward to yesterday when I noticed there was a schedule change, even though it was only 10 minutes, I still had to click on "Accept Changes." When I clicked through to try and re-select seats (it erased my previous selections), it threw out the:

! A Modification has been made to your itinerary, please call [...]
So, I called in since the ticket was now out of sync, and the agent who I got kept on insisting that my fare was an economy fare with a free upgrade to business. I kept on countering that with, "if you look at the fare basis, it does not say VUP, WUP, etc..." And he even indicated that he would have to re-seat me in Y because there isn't upgrade space available. I then politely excused myself and ended the call. I HUACA'ed and managed to get the ticket re-synchronized.

Therefore, what is with the agents and not realizing that international P fares are not like domestic P fares?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:08 pm

Interesting... it seems to fit into the recent reports of ticketing issues related to fare-mixing.

How did you manage to do it? What do you mean by HUACA?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by destinio
Interesting... it seems to fit into the recent reports of ticketing issues related to fare-mixing.

I just called in again, and got another agent who did not give me any hassle and just re-synced the ticket with the reservation.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by destinio

Hang Up And Call Again
Hopefully, the next agent will solve the problem.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fgirard
... Therefore, what is with the agents and not realizing that international P fares are not like domestic P fares?
Neither is what the agent stated true for domestic -UP/-UPDI fares
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Indeed, if you do a search for first-class fares domestically, the lower-priced tickets are often P fares. There's no reason for agents to ever assume P fares are upgrades.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Indeed, if you do a search for first-class fares domestically, the lower-priced tickets are often P fares. There's no reason for agents to ever assume P fares are upgrades.
The first agent kept on insisting that I had booked economy and got a free upgrade to C.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
I had a similar issue when checking in for a AMS-IAD flight about two weeks ago. The agent changed my seat to coach by mistake. When trying to undo the mistake the Supervisor stated that this was an upgrade and would be difficult to get the seat back. I had to show that that was a paid P fare ticket. He then got my business seat back and all was fine.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:10 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
What you experienced is one of my biggest issues with United. The way they market/sell and then subsequently treat P-fares is very, very misleading and it's hit and miss with agents that fully understand them.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Contrary to what some say, this STILL IS AN ISSUE!! 2 weeks ago I called to do an SDC (yeah, my mistake, but I was driving and did not want to use the app) and the agent said I can only SDC to economy due to my economy fare basis. There was both P and the underlying W economy fare open, so I should have gotten the seat. I hung up and when I arrived at the airport, did it online in 15 seconds flat.

P fares being confused as economy upgrades remains a big issue for me with UA.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fgirard
The first agent kept on insisting that I had booked economy and got a free upgrade to C.
Time to end the call the very first time the agent says that.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Originally Posted by In The 216
What you experienced is one of my biggest issues with United. The way they market/sell and then subsequently treat P-fares is very, very misleading and it's hit and miss with agents that fully understand them.
This is one of a million amazingly irritating, anti-consumer practices at this abortion of an airline.

Referring to all premium cabin fares as "economy with upgrade" is SOP for all rebooking, or so it would appear.

Never let them get away away with it. It's straight-up fraud.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Strange?

I have had several P and Z fare flights requiring reissuance or rebooking, including IRROPS situations, recently and never encountered anything like this.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott T, HH D, IHG SA.
I think lots cheap P class are economy-upgrade fare.
It sold as P class but fare basis is "VXXXXXXX", which means "V-up".
If any IRROP happened, the app will auto search the same fare class based on the First letter of fare basis. It means, if there is any IRROP happen, the app will only show options of Economy "V" class instead of "P" class.

Just contact agents, phone or airport, and HUACA when necessary.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I have had several P and Z fare flights requiring reissuance or rebooking, including IRROPS situations, recently and never encountered anything like this.
Me either, but there there is apparently still some number of agents out there who are not handling these correctly.

Again, it's the UA "bad apple" problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.