Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award redemption changes coming Nov. 1, 2017
http://mileageplusupdates.com/ (Thanks @joelfreak for providing link.)
  • Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" -- variable pricing
  • Some increases in longer haul international premium cabin saver awards (Generally 10% or less if any at all)
  • Some decreases on shorter non-stop partner saver flights outside the US
  • No changes for North America saver economy
  • No-show award redeposit fee $125 -- for everyone, no elite exemption.
  • Round the World awards are gone
  • No changes in UA/UX/Copa or *A mileage upgrades
*NEW* November 1, 2017 award chart

TPG has some tables showing changes to redemption costs.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/uni...eryday-awards/

What if I need to change my existing Standard Award on or after November 1, 2017?

Any changes will require a ticket reissue and new pricing and additional fees may apply.
Print Wikipost

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by darkobeatsdeath
Hi All,

Back in August, I booked an award ticket from SYD to HGK via BKK in first class for 40,000 united miles. Couple of month after I booked it, United's award chart has been updated, and the same flight now costs 65,000 miles. I called United today, for pushing the flight dates to from March to July, and was asked by the shift manager to add the 25,000 miles difference, since i am making a "voluntarily change"

Now, I had a similar case after the previous devaluation, with a flight to Hawaii, and I was defiantly wasn't asked to add the miles differences back then,
so i was wondering if anyone had a similar experience or if anyone knows what's the actual official United rules on changes like that? (I couldn't find anything in the mileage plus program rules, other than a general clause that i am not so sure that applies here)

If it helps, I am 1k with United, and this reservation had couple non-voluntarily changes (Thai changed the aircraft, the flight times, and i was bumped from First to Business on the BKK->HKG ldue to the aircraft change)

Thanks!
That's the exact situation as I'm in (SYD-BKK-HKG in TG F). I wonder if the downgrade on the BKK-HKG sectors is enough of a reason to waive the increase?

Last edited by c1mth0g; Apr 3, 2018 at 4:06 pm Reason: added quote
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Hoping someone can help explain what I'm seeing. Looking for a last minute round trip award. For the return, looking CVG-YYZ. It's showing me the following:

AC (non-stop) - 25,000 miles (for the one way)
UA - with connections - 45,000 miles (again, one way) - all UA/UAX operated

Not sure how this is possible. My understanding is that only saver (12,500 each way) should be showing for an AC flight (note: Aeroplan is showing this for 7500 miles, so the lowest award space does appear to be available). Also understand that Everyday should cap out at 32,500 - the only way I can undertand how it could charge this is if it was doing one of the segments at a saver rate, one at an everyday rate, then adding. Has anyone seen this before? Note I'm searching for this as a simple round trip - not trying to build a multi-city myself, which I know would price segment by segment.

Also now noting on the outbound, it's showing me a flight combo that is AC-UA, 12,500 in Y, 25,000 in J. When I select the Y option, it puts me in J on the AC flight anyway. That shouldn't happen, right?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Also now noting on the outbound, it's showing me a flight combo that is AC-UA, 12,500 in Y, 25,000 in J. When I select the Y option, it puts me in J on the AC flight anyway. That shouldn't happen, right?
It's a bug. If you call, they should be able to book in Y at the correct price.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA MM
Devalued miles, domestic Y

Many years ago, domestic Y round trip mileage tix were 40K miles. Then United raised it to 50K, but introduced the "Saver" awards for 25K so they could say "well some went up and some went down". Right. You could get Saver if you flew super early or late flights or crazy connections, but I paid 50K for a score of tickets since then.

More recently we were told that mileage requirements would be "flexible" or "demand based" and of course "some would go up and some would go down". Ahem. I haven't had a chance to book under the new rates until now, organizing some summer trips, and I'm finding that any itinerary that I consider at all reasonable (i.e., not a 6 AM departure thank you) now costs 65K. Wow, that's a 30% devaluation of my miles. I knew it would end up like this, but I'm surprised it is so high.

Same old, same old, but yes, I feel ripped off and whatever remains of my loyalty is similarly devalued.
(mods feel free to combine this with some old thread on the mileage changes but I could not find it)
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by c1mth0g
That's the exact situation as I'm in (SYD-BKK-HKG in TG F). I wonder if the downgrade on the BKK-HKG sectors is enough of a reason to waive the increase?
I am on the same boat. Do you have any update with this ?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat
United Award Pricing Now Even More Granular

What is this madness? UA copying Delta yet again.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
What is this madness? UA copying Delta yet again.
It's been this way since November for Domestic Standard Awards. In most cases it works out to be an increase in miles from the old standard rate.
Hasn't really affected me yet since I don't book standard awards.

See this thread
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
It's been this way since November for Domestic Standard Awards. In most cases it works out to be an increase in miles from the old standard rate.
Hasn't really affected me yet since I don't book standard awards.

See this thread
No. The "new" rates were 15k, 17.5k, 20k, 22.5k etc. Now they're splitting further: adding 14k, 24k, 26k etc. It's almost to the 1000 miles! This change happened sometime in the last few hours, as I've been religiously checking this route.
BeanTownBoy and aquanine like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
No. The "new" rates were 15k, 17.5k, 20k, 22.5k etc. Now they're splitting further: adding 14k, 24k, 26k etc. It's almost to the 1000 miles! This change happened sometime in the last few hours, as I've been religiously checking this route.
Ahh, I see what you mean. Have they rounded up, or down on the dates you were looking at? I suspect it's not in our favor
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Ahh, I see what you mean. Have they rounded up, or down on the dates you were looking at? I suspect it's not in our favor
Down surprisingly. Barring some other change, my two 27.5k itineraries are now 24k.

But my fears are the same as when Deval 1.0 struck: 1) there will be less saver space and 2) this is the beginning of the end for award charts.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
This has been going on for months now. I have been looking at 4 itineraries and they all change, even partner awards.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
This has been going on for months now. I have been looking at 4 itineraries and they all change, even partner awards.
partner awards ... any screenshots on that? That would be a terrifying change.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Then add married segments on top of this...very frustrating.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
partner awards ... any screenshots on that? That would be a terrifying change.
There's no such thing as Everyday awards on partners. The only way you'd see this is if you had a connecting flight on UA that wasn't available as a Saver award.

For all of the caterwauling when this first came out, I've been amazed that UA has actually kept the dynamic awards dynamic. I really expected to see nothing but 32.5K domestically.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
There's no such thing as Everyday awards on partners.
That doesn't stop UA from regularly offering them.

Originally Posted by jsloan
The only way you'd see this is if you had a connecting flight on UA that wasn't available as a Saver award.
Not correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.