FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1850450-best-g-iad-lounge-ua-flyers.html)

Flying Machine Mar 9, 2022 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Artpen100 (Post 34060992)
I figure in about 30 minutes from when boarding starts. I don't like to cut it too close. Incidentally, the train station elevator across from the BA lounge is faster than the escalator. Save 15 seconds!

That escalator is fun! Why skip it??

Kmxu Mar 9, 2022 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Artpen100 (Post 34060992)
I figure in about 30 minutes from when boarding starts. I don't like to cut it too close. Incidentally, the train station elevator across from the BA lounge is faster than the escalator. Save 15 seconds!

I typically leave TK/LH lounge at 40-50 min before the departure time of my UA flight on Concourse C/D, depending upon the exact gate. Since I need to arrive at gate at T-15 min or earlier, the travel time from the lounge to the gate is between 20-30 min (ideally, arrive at T-20 min, not T-15 min). If I take the train to any C gate and lower D gates, I walk to the Concourse B station from LH lounge, but Concourse A station from TK lounge. If the flight is on high D gates, take the train to the "Terminal" station and then shuttle to Concourse D.

NB: I am a fast walker, but some tall ladies may past me occasionally. :(.

CMK10 Mar 27, 2022 3:29 pm

I was coming back from DTW last week and the late IAD-RDU took an hour delay to 11:15 PM. The latest UC closes at 10 PM. Luckily the TK Lounge was open until 11 PM this week only.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Fl...MG_7544-XL.jpg

Food quality had noticeably improved since my last visit in February too.

FLYMSY May 7, 2022 4:03 pm

What lounge would be best if arriving at the “Z” gates and departing from the “C” gates? 2 hour layover. Also, best routing from “Z” to C17?

Kmxu May 7, 2022 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY (Post 34230210)
What lounge would be best if arriving at the “Z” gates and departing from the “C” gates? 2 hour layover. Also, best routing from “Z” to C17?

Walk to Terminal station and one stop to Terminal B station, then walk to either LH or TK lounge or both.

lamphs May 7, 2022 5:51 pm

Glad to see TK is improving. Any recent info on LH? Frankly, I was fairly happy with the UA Club at C17 last week. Finally some fresh food and the soup was OK. Always friendly bartenders at C7 also.

Flying Machine May 7, 2022 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs (Post 34230401)
Glad to see TK is improving. Any recent info on LH? Frankly, I was fairly happy with the UA Club at C7 last week. Finally some fresh food and the soup was OK. Always friendly bartenders at C7 also.

Wait a minute! Friendly Bartenders at IAD, especially at C7??

UAFAM May 7, 2022 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs (Post 34230401)
Glad to see TK is improving. Any recent info on LH?.

LH is only open till 4 or 6 pm.

whlinder May 8, 2022 7:01 am

Originally Posted by FLYMSY (Post 34230210)

I'd walk on the underground connector from Z/main to the midfield A/B. TK lounge is closer this way.

From TK to C gates you’re walking to the A gates to pick up the train to C. You probably need to budget 25-30 mins for that trip.

eng3 May 8, 2022 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 34061174)
I typically leave TK/LH lounge at 40-50 min before the departure time of my UA flight on Concourse C/D, depending upon the exact gate. Since I need to arrive at gate at T-15 min or earlier, the travel time from the lounge to the gate is between 20-30 min (ideally, arrive at T-20 min, not T-15 min). If I take the train to any C gate and lower D gates, I walk to the Concourse B station from LH lounge, but Concourse A station from TK lounge. If the flight is on high D gates, take the train to the "Terminal" station and then shuttle to Concourse D.

NB: I am a fast walker, but some tall ladies may past me occasionally. :(.

I've done AF/TK/LH on a 60min connection but I definitely got my heart rate up. This was usually going from D to A. I use to do the train but I've switched to taking the "shuttle" to get to B then walk across. Now this was back during the height of the pandemic where I could easily get upgraded on IAD-SEA even on an award ticket. (Ofcourse back then, an upgrade wasnt worth much as sometimes I'd just get pretzels and a stroopwafel for the entire flight). One time I lucked out and the UA flight arrived at B for some reason. The lounges were at their all time lows in terms of food, I'd just pop in to get something to eat and see if there was any improvement. Ofcourse things have greatly improved at the same time my upgrade chances have gone to nil. I haven't been through IAD lately unless flying intl and I've been going to the PL and restaurant across. I might swing past the lounges again. I typically have a very long layover at IAD because my connection choice is either a 1hr layer or a 5-6hr layover and I won't risk missing an intl flight on a 1hr layover. Luckily, the PL is comfortable enough to be able to get some work done or take a nap.

cfischer May 8, 2022 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 34230436)
Wait a minute! Friendly Bartenders at IAD, especially at C7??

I call fake news on that as well ... never had a good experience. Sounds like TK is the best right now (aside from Polaris) id you don't have other options via Amex Plat or PP

Flying Machine May 8, 2022 10:51 am

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 34231817)
I call fake news on that as well ... never had a good experience. Sounds like TK is the best right now (aside from Polaris) id you don't have other options via Amex Plat or PP

I typically go to AF first (PP access) I drink as much champagne as I like (always ask for the French champagne which is quite nice) and I really like the French bread sandwiches there, the bread is so good. Then walk over and check out TK and LH before making it back to the C or D gates. Regarding Amex Platinumn where I have my PP access, I understand you could get into Virgin as well now with your AMEX card??

eng3 May 8, 2022 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 34231857)
I typically go to AF first (PP access) I drink as much champagne as I like (always ask for the French champagne which is quite nice) and I really like the French bread sandwiches there, the bread is so good. Then walk over and check out TK and LH before making it back to the C or D gates. Regarding Amex Platinumn where I have my PP access, I understand you could get into Virgin as well now with your AMEX card??

I usually do the opposite if I have time, TK/LH first, then AF to spend the most time as they usually have had the best food. Since in the future, I will probably only go thru if I am intl, I'll prob do the same but goto PL last
Didn't hear about virgin, I know there is a BA lounge at B but the PP site says its currently closed.
Also don't forget about "Chef Geoff", another PP option
Amazing how IAD has 4-5 options yet a place like ORD has none, at least not easily accessible.

lamphs May 8, 2022 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by UAFAM (Post 34230661)
LH is only open till 4 or 6 pm.

Walked by today - it is open 1330-2200. Closed when I walked by, so didn't have a chance to check it out.

lamphs May 8, 2022 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 34230436)
Wait a minute! Friendly Bartenders at IAD, especially at C17??

Edited my post to note C17.

And yes, there are two female bartenders there during the day, at least for my past few flights. One has been there for a few years. Both are always quite pleasant.

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 34231817)

Corrected my post to note C17 re: bartenders.

Had breakfast at TK this morning. Seems that everything is back to 'normal'. I noticed a cold brew coffee, but did not partake. Also a water dispenser for both still and sparkling water. Breakfast bar was filled with breads and pastries, as well as yogurt and fruit and fixings. Standard hot 'Turkish' egg casserole that I need to try at home. Also, seemed to be plenty of staff. Certainly improved since I stopped through there in mid-February.