Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ill & Involuntarily Removed from United Flight HKG -> SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ill & Involuntarily Removed from United Flight HKG -> SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by ptc8329
As we were taxiing to the runway, the girl vomited again. This continued every ten minutes for the entire flight.
For an ORD-SFO flight, that would be about 24 times. An amazing feat.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
The flight crew and the captain were in an uncomfortable position of making a judgement call about whether someone is healthy enough to fly, and they probably don't have the medical expertise of doctors. The choice was between inconveniencing one person vs potentially inconveniencing 200+. So they chose the solution that impacted the fewest people. But the OP would be more comfortable resting in a hotel than on an airplane - even in business class.

Once, I was on an AA flight LAX-AUS. During boarding the guy sitting behind me threw up, in an airsick bag. A FA talks to him and I expected she would tell him to get off. But she hands him a garbage bag and allows him to stay on the flight. He threw up a few more times during taxi and the first 30 minutes after take off. Oh, and that same FA was serving snacks and drinks - hope she washed her hands before the service.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:25 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
For an ORD-SFO flight, that would be about 24 times. An amazing feat.
Quite.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by In The 216
Quite.
You're right. I made the whole thing up because I had so little else to do in my life. Roll
your eyes all you want! In typical un-constructive fashion, the broader point is missed.

For the record, it was no less than 15 times. I guess that makes the situation alright from
a passenger perspective. And if I were the parent, I would have taken my child to the hospital, not on a plane.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by prncess674
I know you think you are in the right because you haven't thrown up since that time, but no 10 minute "chat" with a medical professional could easily determine whether you blew chunks because of food poisoning or a stomach virus. Stomach viruses are highly contagious and you have no idea who you may infect along the way. You self-diagnosed as food poisoning, but you too could have been wrong and maybe had a stomach bug. At the time, you too had no idea whether you would spew again. Sure you were feeling better after spewing, but there was no way you could know whether your stomach/bowels had different ideas.
For various stomach viruses that cause vomit, the break between one burst of vomit and another can be days and days. Even a 4 day gap between vomit bursts happens. You can pretty much bet that many such virus-infected, infectious people have been on flights and yet not been deemed "unfit to fly" by the flight crew. And yet flights aren't being commonly diverted due to such people even if they vomit on flights.

And it's not that rare that some such persons are even told by the airline reps that if they don't fly as booked they will have to buy a new ticket and/or pay substantial penalty fees. Airlines encouraging sick people to fly? It happens way too often.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GUWonder
For various stomach viruses that cause vomit, the break between one burst of vomit and another can be days and days. Even a 4 day gap between vomit bursts happens. You can pretty much bet that many such virus-infected, infectious people have been on flights and yet not been deemed "unfit to fly" by the flight crew. And yet flights aren't being commonly diverted due to such people even if they vomit on flights.

And it's not that rare that some such persons are even told by the airline reps that if they don't fly as booked they will have to buy a new ticket and/or pay substantial penalty fees. Airlines encouraging sick people to fly? It happens way too often.
In no way do I doubt that people are flying with all kinds of contagious viruses. In the OP's case, there were visible signs, so the pilot made a judgement call. As other's have stated, this was a long trans-pacific flight and if the plane got sick, or even a small fraction, got sick could you imagine the awfulness of that scenario? It would be like the vomit scene from "Stand By Me"

Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The gate agent, dispatcher, or flight crew can use MedLink for medical support on boarding an ill passenger as well as the more typical use for inflight medical issues.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
The gate agent, dispatcher, or flight crew can use MedLink for medical support on boarding an ill passenger as well as the more typical use for inflight medical issues.
I don't think you should be required to talk to medlink before determining someone who is throwing up is unfit to fly.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by theddo
I don't think you should be required to talk to medlink before determining someone who is throwing up is unfit to fly.
They are not. I was just pointing out that the resource is available.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I got quite sick about 2 hours into a TATL flight a few years ago and spent most of the rest of the flight in the bathroom. In my case I managed to get home, but I would have preferred the treatment given to the OP - get off the plane, get the illness taken care of, and come home the next day.

The difference for me is that I felt fine when we boarded.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It would be hard to diagnose the cause of vomiting via MedLink. A lengthy list of causes from innocuous to serious could be generated w/o in-person questioning/examination/tests. Vomiting, in itself, generates stomach-turning smell to those nearby and can linger in a lavatory. Captain made right decision.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It would be hard to diagnose the cause of vomiting via MedLink.
That is what they do. Nobody else is better equipped to make those decisions.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
That is what they do. Nobody else is better equipped to make those decisions.
MedLink can definitively rule out or diagnose Ebola w/o a test? MedLink is better equipped than an in-person visit with a doctor, an examination, and tests??? I think our national health situation has just been solved
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by skyflytime
My wallet fell out as I got out of the Uber at SFO when starting the vacation, and I didn't notice until I was on the plane. It was a smaller wallet than my regular one, same dimensions as the passport, and feeling the passport in my pocket made me think I still had it. At the end of my vacation, Uber Support finally replied that the driver had my wallet as I hoped. That was right before I ordered the food that made me nauseous. I was able to pick up the wallet with everything including cash intact from the driver when I finally got back to SFO.

Glad you got your wallet back with the continents intact .

Originally Posted by Often1
This started with some legitimate questions by OP, who clearly is an inexperienced traveler as the entire wallet incident demonstrates.

I lost sympathy as soon as OP made the unfounded accusation of removal due to no luggage, asserted that this was a punishment and then made a snide reference to not being beaten. Those kinds of accusations, without facts to support them, do nothing for OP.

I took the remark about being beaten as a joke in reference to the now infamous incident in regard Dr.Dao being forcefully removed from the flight and how in their view, they were also 'involuntarily removed' from the flight.

More so, how the Dr.Dao situation created a lot of focus on air line policies about compensation for IDB, which probably why the OP is wondering if they are entitled to anything , although in this case..it doesn't apply.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 30, 2017 at 12:08 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
MedLink can definitively rule out or diagnose Ebola w/o a test? MedLink is better equipped than an in-person visit with a doctor, an examination, and tests??? I think our national health situation has just been solved
That's not what I said.

This kind of situation is exactly what MedLink is for and why airlines pay for the service. The MedLink doctors are prepared for these situations and know how to make decision best decision with the information available.

None of us (pilots, agents, F/As, etc.) have medical training nor other expertise for making these decisions. Sometimes it's obvious. Most times it's not and that's when MedLink can be consulted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.