Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New LH Policy: No Advance Seat Assignments on Codehsares, Including Paid J (YMMV)

New LH Policy: No Advance Seat Assignments on Codehsares, Including Paid J (YMMV)

Old Jun 17, 17, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist

I have just been informed by a Lufthansa phone agent that a "new policy" was implemented last week which disallows advance seat assignments on codeshares operated by LH Group carriers, even in paid business class.

He stated that the seat maps have been "taken away" from the agents and that there is nothing they can do about this.

Of course the only reason I book the codeshare is to meet UA PQD requirements.
Old Jun 17, 17, 4:27 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
I'll be interested to see if this is true, or just a MOLA.
Old Jun 17, 17, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I'll be interested to see if this is true, or just a MOLA.
Seat assignments no longer available online, which is why I called.

I have a decent ear for agent bs, and this guy sounded sincere. But you're right, never know for sure.

I'll try calling LX next. That's never much fun. ETA: Swiss flight numbers are native, so they were able to reserve seats for return.

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 17, 17 at 4:49 pm
Old Jun 17, 17, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I have just been informed by a Lufthansa phone agent that a "new policy" was implemented last week which disallows advance seat assignments on codeshares operated by LH Group carriers, even in paid business class.
Just codeshares, or all tickets issued by other airlines?

Of course the only reason I book the codeshare is to meet UA PQD requirements.
This does not make sense. Codeshares have no effect on whether a ticket accrues PQDs. If it's a 016 ticket, it'll receive PQDs, does not matter if it has LH flight numbers or UA codeshares.

United can definitely issue 016 tickets with LH flight numbers and these tickets count for PQDs. Even for tickets with codeshares, it just takes a phone call to convert them to LH flight numbers and reissue the ticket.
Old Jun 17, 17, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AustinPilot View Post
I was told codeshares. Who knows.

Codeshares have no effect on whether a ticket accrues PQDs. If it's a 016 ticket, it'll receive PQDs, does not matter if it has LH flight numbers or UA codeshares.
Yes, I'm aware of that. The inventory is often different for native vs. codeshare. In this case, the native flight numbers cost $2K+ more to ticket on UA. I ran into this issue consistently with LH flights when searching this itinerary. . . the P fares were only available as codeshares.

Even for tickets with codeshares, it just takes a phone call to convert them to LH flight numbers and reissue the ticket.
Not if there's no native P fare inventory.
Old Jun 17, 17, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold

This does not make sense. Codeshares have no effect on whether a ticket accrues PQDs. If it's a 016 ticket, it'll receive PQDs, does not matter if it has LH flight numbers or UA codeshares.

United can definitely issue 016 tickets with LH flight numbers and these tickets count for PQDs. Even for tickets with codeshares, it just takes a phone call to convert them to LH flight numbers and reissue the ticket.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no, due to plating restrictions.
Old Jun 17, 17, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
That really blows goat chunks.....

I assume you tried the phone app.....

What if you ask 1K desk to convert them to LH numbers like they would to apply GPU, even though i know you can't apply a GPU to a P fare. I am sure the process to convert is the same...
Old Jun 17, 17, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I logged in to check on an 016-plated mixed native and codeshare LX/LH itinerary in paid J.

On the LH website, where I could previously assign seats for all of the LH-operated flights, I can no longer assign seats for the UA-marketed LH-operated flights. I can still assign on the LH/LH flights.

On the LX website, where I could previous see the seatmap and assignment would error out for the one UA/LX flight, it now says that seat assignment is not an option.

Thankfully, we have good seats and so hopefully won't need to open this can of worms again. But this sounds like bad news

Can you get UA to change the flight numbers to native after ticketing? I understand this is done for GPU application.

eta - In addition to other concerns, the other reason to get forced onto a codeshare for PQD is that a third-party agent is only going to plate 016 if the flights are UA-marketed.
Old Jun 17, 17, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
What if you ask 1K desk to convert them to LH numbers like they would to apply GPU, even though i know you can't apply a GPU to a P fare.
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Can you get UA to change the flight numbers to native after ticketing? I understand this is done for GPU application.
I don't know, have to psych myself up for that call.

But I'm pretty sure there's an inventory problem. I ran into this with an LH itinerary earlier this year, where they could only find me P inventory under the UA flight numbers.

Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
I assume you tried the phone app.....
Yes. I've also tried LO, OS, and LX websites. The ability to select seats online has been removed.
Old Jun 17, 17, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
This is a bunch of bull.

Re: the policy, not Kacee's reporting
Old Jun 17, 17, 5:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Seat assignments no longer available online, which is why I called.
This is genuinely peculiar. Hope it was a misunderstanding.

On the LX website, where I could previous see the seatmap and assignment would error out for the one UA/LX flight, it now says that seat assignment is not an option.
I made an LX J reservation with UA miles a couple of days ago, and the seat map is accessible for me via swiss.com as usual.
Old Jun 17, 17, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone View Post
I made an LX J reservation with UA miles a couple of days ago, and the seat map is accessible for me via swiss.com as usual.
An award reservation will always be a native flight number.

I can pull up this itinerary on the LX website, but online seat selection is not available. It seems the LH operated codeshare has basically DQ'ed this itinerary from online seat selection.
Old Jun 17, 17, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Award reservation should use LX flt number though, right?
Old Jun 17, 17, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Award reservation should use LX flt number though, right?
Fair enough, but if this really is just about codeshares, what possible rationale would Lufthansa have for this new policy? I suppose all we can do is speculate, but i can't wrap my head around it.

Why do I, as a *A award traveler, rate an advance seat assignment when a paid customer with a UA flight number doesn't? Surely this is just a temporary technical glitch?
Old Jun 17, 17, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Fair enough, but if this really is just about codeshares, what possible rationale would Lufthansa have for this new policy? I suppose all we can do is speculate, but i can't wrap my head around it.

Why do I, as a *A award traveler, rate an advance seat assignment when a paid customer with a UA flight number doesn't? Surely this is just a temporary technical glitch?
It's similar to LX not allowing F lounge access if you've purchased your LX F ticket as a UA codeshare.

I hope this is a glitch but it feels like the real thing to me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: