Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LH Advance Seat selection fees for flights booked on UA tickets (none on X awards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2021, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Seat assignment fees for LH flights booked via UA has a moving target, consult LH Seat selection and advance seat reservation for present rules

As of July 2021
Codeshares are now included
UA economy award tickets -- no fee
Paid economy tickets
(without higher LH status) -- fee varies on flight distance, intraEurope may be fee for higher economy fares
Paid Premium Economy (without higher LH status) -- fee varies on flight distance
Business / First -- no fee, even for codeshares

For those seats with advance selection fees, there will be no fee at check-in for available seats

Archive: LH Advance Seat selection fees for flights booked on UA tickets {Archive}

Print Wikipost

LH Advance Seat selection fees for flights booked on UA tickets (none on X awards)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Does anyone have any recent experience on this policy that you can post an update? I am ready to book an 016 ticket in premium economy with one TATL segment (SFO - FRA) on LH. Any comments, insights, or recent experience will be appreciated. TIA!
Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mathgeek1978
Does anyone have any recent experience on this policy that you can post an update? I am ready to book an 016 ticket in premium economy with one TATL segment (SFO - FRA) on LH. Any comments, insights, or recent experience will be appreciated. TIA!
I'm in similar boat, about to book an LX itinerary via UA. Note that you can cancel and refund for free within 24 hours if you can't select seats.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 5:36 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I have a Y segment from MUC to KRK on LH as a UA codeshare. Two days ago, I went online and paid $14/ seat for exit rows. I am *G, and this was a 'classic' ticket, not 'light'.

I have a native LX segment also and called them to get a seat a week ago and it was the same $14. They also sold me the seats on LH but this dropped off the reservation a couple days later. I was not able to buy seats on the LX site for the LH segment. You would think that they use the same software and back office.

Buying what seems to be the same flight and ticket type on LH for that segment allows for some free seat assignments including exit rows. Odd that you buy it from them, it is free. Buy it from United, and it is not.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:02 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pretzlaff
You would think that they use the same software and back office.
While they both use Amadeus, the user interface, databases and back office are separate. Neither airline's is any good, though LX's is worse. I always find it amusing though how the cs agents for both airlines will never admit the IT made a mistake - it's always the fault of either UA or the passenger
SPN Lifer and Chiller3333 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has always been hit or miss for me on paid tickets. If a seat assignment is important book the ticket via LH and pay the fee.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 11:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Kacee
While they both use Amadeus, the user interface, databases and back office are separate. Neither airline's is any good, though LX's is worse. I always find it amusing though how the cs agents for both airlines will never admit the IT made a mistake - it's always the fault of either UA or the passenger
LX/OS/SN use the same Amadeus Altea system as LH, the user interface is also the same. LX still uses other call centers to handle calls, but the system is the same. This happened in 2014-15.

Seat assignments are done in LH/LX system and paid for using an EMD. The synch of booking between UA's flavor of shares and Amadeus Altea is patchy at best.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 11:59 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oliver2002
... Seat assignments are done in LH/LX system and paid for using an EMD. ...
It was my understanding this only worked for native LH flight numbers and not codeshares (UA flight number). Has that changed?
Old Jul 8, 2021, 11:51 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

They are tying to make it happen with codeshares too, but its near impossible as the ownership of the PNR is with the codeshare partner and the issuing office.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
LX/OS/SN use the same Amadeus Altea system as LH, the user interface is also the same.
I was referring to the customer facing web interface, which is not the same. I have no idea what employees see
Old Jul 9, 2021, 3:44 am

All (OS/LX/SN) are moving to the LH interface anyway. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...ne-2018-a.html
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
I found the answer to my own question. After booking the ticket I called LH, giving them the LH booking code found on the UA 016 ticket confirmation, and was told that I needed to pay a fee for advance seat selection. It will be free at check in. *A status makes no difference.

I searched the LH website and confirmed what the agent said was correct:

Advance seat reservations for Premium Economy Class passengers | Lufthansa

This is outrageous! I can understand a seat reservation fee for deeply discounted or basic economy tickets. But for a PE ticket this is outrageous and ridiculous.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

This is outrageous! I can understand a seat reservation fee for deeply discounted or basic economy tickets. But for a PE ticket this is outrageous and ridiculous.
The grass is not always greener on the other side....just saying.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The grass is not always greener on the other side....just saying.
No... not at all... I never thought so. I actually prefer UA, just that LH works best for this particular segment.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Are not Premium Economy seats limited to a certain section of the aircraft?

If not seated in that section, I would expect one could receive a refund for the downgrade, either from LH voluntarily, or through a chargeback.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Haven't read whole thread, but i have a paid J ticket (booked into discount P) on 016 stock that i can easily pick seats for on the app and website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.