Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LH Advance Seat selection fees for flights booked on UA tickets (none on X awards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2021, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Seat assignment fees for LH flights booked via UA has a moving target, consult LH Seat selection and advance seat reservation for present rules

As of July 2021
Codeshares are now included
UA economy award tickets -- no fee
Paid economy tickets
(without higher LH status) -- fee varies on flight distance, intraEurope may be fee for higher economy fares
Paid Premium Economy (without higher LH status) -- fee varies on flight distance
Business / First -- no fee, even for codeshares

For those seats with advance selection fees, there will be no fee at check-in for available seats

Archive: LH Advance Seat selection fees for flights booked on UA tickets {Archive}

Print Wikipost

LH Advance Seat selection fees for flights booked on UA tickets (none on X awards)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Are not Premium Economy seats limited to a certain section of the aircraft?

If not seated in that section, I would expect one could receive a refund for the downgrade, either from LH voluntarily, or through a chargeback.
We will be seated in the PE section, I'm sure. The problem is, if I don't pay for advance seat selection, then we may not get our favorite seats -- the window and aisle pair of two-seaters. We don't want to be assigned to the middle 4-seater section. The wife won't be happy
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
They are tying to make it happen with codeshares too, but its near impossible as the ownership of the PNR is with the codeshare partner and the issuing office.
Hopefully they are now stopping things such as allowing a 016 ticket upgrade on the LH website. At one time that lead to one of my most difficult booking experiences which was ultimately resolved by LH refunding the otherwise non-refundable upgrade fee and United making me pay a full fare instead of the more reasonable LH upgrade offer.

That said, now that we have PQPs, much of the need why I booked a codeshare probably no longer applies, so just stopping things not supposed to happen goes a long way.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly046
Hopefully they are now stopping things such as allowing a 016 ticket upgrade on the LH website. At one time that lead to one of my most difficult booking experiences which was ultimately resolved by LH refunding the otherwise non-refundable upgrade fee and United making me pay a full fare instead of the more reasonable LH upgrade offer.

That said, now that we have PQPs, much of the need why I booked a codeshare probably no longer applies, so just stopping things not supposed to happen goes a long way.
I've never been able to buy an upgraded directly from the LH website on a 016 ticket. I always received a message along the lines of "Option not available. Ticket not booked on LH."
VRFast likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
I've never been able to buy an upgraded directly from the LH website on a 016 ticket. I always received a message along the lines of "Option not available. Ticket not booked on LH."
It was a connecting flight in late 2019 via Munich with all legs operated by LH using LH flight numbers. I still have the EMDs for the upgrade with the LH booking code and 016 ticket number. That said, I just remembered United did not sell me the flight like that. Ua.com sold me the flight as three LH flight numbers and one UA. I remember calling in and change that to LH, so that I could purchase the seat assignment on LH.com. That might have been the first domino.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mathgeek1978 (Post #263)
I found the answer to my own question. After booking the ticket I called LH, giving them the LH booking code found on the UA 016 ticket confirmation, and was told that I needed to pay a fee for advance seat selection. It will be free at check in. *A status makes no difference.

I searched the LH website and confirmed what the agent said was correct:

Advance seat reservations for Premium Economy Class passengers | Lufthansa

This is outrageous! I can understand a seat reservation fee for deeply discounted or basic economy tickets. But for a PE ticket this is outrageous and ridiculous.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post #266)
Are not Premium Economy seats limited to a certain section of the aircraft?

If not seated in that section, I would expect one could receive a refund for the downgrade, either from LH voluntarily, or through a chargeback.
Originally Posted by mathgeek1978 (Post #268)
We will be seated in the PE section, I'm sure. The problem is, if I don't pay for advance seat selection, then we may not get our favorite seats -- the window and aisle pair of two-seaters. We don't want to be assigned to the middle 4-seater section. The wife won't be happy
Different airlines, different rules.

LH wants $14 each to guarantee one of those those aisle-window PE seat pairs now, as opposed to taking your (likely reduced) chances on the day of check-in.

Considering how much PE tickets normally sell for, and speaking as someone who has been happily married for 29 years, in your circumstances I say those seat reservation fees would be worth it. 🙂

It's the price of love. 💚
Xyzzy, mathgeek1978 and fly046 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Haven't read whole thread, but i have a paid J ticket (booked into discount P) on 016 stock that i can easily pick seats for on the app and website.
that's not new. Seat assignments on codeshares in J have been working for quite some time

Originally Posted by TomMM
with LH flight numbers? I have been successful on 016 tickets.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 7:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Seat assignment fees for LH flights booked via UA has a moving target, consult LH Seat selection and advance seat reservation for present rules

There have been recent changes, but as of July 2021
Codeshares are now included
UA economy award tickets -- no fee
Paid economy tickets
(without higher LH status) -- fee varies on flight distance, intraEurope may be fee for higher economy fares
Paid Premium Economy (without higher LH status) -- fee varies on flight distance
Business / First -- no fee, even for codeshares

For those seats with advance selection fees, there will be no fee at check-in for available seats
beltway and mathgeek1978 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 10, 2021 at 7:14 pm
Old Jul 10, 2021, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
with LH flight numbers? I have been successful on 016 tickets.

Too much time has past to recall those details. My last flight on LH in PE on a UA ticket and flight number was 2 years ago and I see that I was able to do ASR for a fee. So my previous comment about booking on LH to pay the ASR fee was unnecessary.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Positive report: I just booked a UA P fare, with three LX operated segments and was able to select seats on the LX website for all three. By booking through UA, I was able to get UA fare rules, which specifically state "No Change Fee" - much better than the LX rules, which allow only one free change.

(Also, not sure why the thread title was changed. My initial post starting this thread was not about seat selection fees, it was about LH not allowing advance business class seat assignments on UA ticketed itineraries.)
cfischer likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
(Also, not sure why the thread title was changed. My initial post starting this thread was not about seat selection fees, it was about LH not allowing advance business class seat assignments on UA ticketed itineraries.)
Thread topics evolve and rules change but added a "codeshare" tag to the title

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Positive report: I just booked a UA P fare, with three LX operated segments and was able to select seats on the LX website for all three. By booking through UA, I was able to get UA fare rules, which specifically state "No Change Fee" - much better than the LX rules, which allow only one free change.
I also just booked a UA P fare and during the seat selection process on UA website, I was redirected to LH website to select the 3 segments on LH. Very pleasant surprise, I was able to select upper deck 747.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Different airlines, different rules.

LH wants $14 each to guarantee one of those those aisle-window PE seat pairs now, as opposed to taking your (likely reduced) chances on the day of check-in.

Considering how much PE tickets normally sell for, and speaking as someone who has been happily married for 29 years, in your circumstances I say those seat reservation fees would be worth it. 🙂

It's the price of love. 💚
For TATL it's $60 per person. But to make sure the wife is happy, I'll pay up.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Booked a transatlantic UA codeshare flight operated by LH last night during the big European sale, booked in P class. UA website showed me the LH seatmap during the booking process but couldn't select a seat. As soon as it was ticketed, I was able to select a seat on the UA website.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Like CIT85, I too was able to select seats including FRA-EWR flight on the upper deck 747- UA ticketed Z class. However, I have a Brussels airline flight Q class that I am unable to select a seat, with no option to pay for one to reserve even if I wanted to.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 9:49 am

Booking United travel on Lufthansa

Hello
1K member here, but still figuring out the way partner airlines work when it comes to using status/miles/PlusPoints on them.
For example - i need to change an existing flight segment via United, but it's going to mean flying one of the international legs on a Luftansa flight. That means i don't get visibility to seat map during booking. can I go to Lufthansa and pick a seat there with the lufthansa confirmation it gives me? will it make me pay extra to do it? will i be eligible for upgrades based on my star gold or United 1k?

Sorry for the questions. i understand the PQP and PQF awards and how that will work, but this part i have no idea

ALSO, not sure if this counts for anything, and a little off topic, but the current flight on United that i have to change, has me in premium economy. will that transfer to the lufthansa flight or will i be in regular eco?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.