FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Lounge options at IAD - Where do I go? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1848115-united-lounge-options-iad-where-do-i-go.html)

halls120 Jun 15, 2017 7:29 am

Originally Posted by mvitale (Post 28445646)
About the only exception was the C8 Club, but that was at least partially because it's so off the main highway, that it was often less crowded. Even on Thursday afternoons.

My favorite UC at IAD.

Artpen100 Jun 15, 2017 7:39 am

Originally Posted by mvitale (Post 28445646)
This. This, this, and more this.

From 2014-2016, I flew out of IAD weekly. Even though I have a UC membership, I found myself at Bar Symon far more often than I did at the United Club. Even when my flight was at some of the C gates, I still preferred taking the moon buggy ride to D, sitting at Bar Symon, and then walking to going into the UC.

About the only exception was the C8 Club, but that was at least partially because it's so off the main highway, that it was often less crowded. Even on Thursday afternoons.

-mvitale

For me, UC Club at IAD = free newspapers. Sometimes I just walk in, grab them and go. Other times, I am looking for a place to work, and the crowding situation can make that useless. But the front desk will tell sometimes tell you if any of the others aren't crowded.

fozziedoggie Jun 15, 2017 9:05 am

So if possible, please confirm:
As long as I'm holding a FC boarding pass on a UA flight, I can possibly get into the LH lounge in concourse B? Will they require a MP status card (which I don't have), or is the BP enough?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang (Post 28443737)
I can confirm that they will, at least last year they did. The LH lounge is a far enough trek away that they don't get too many UA people mooching off of their far superior lounge.

catocony Jun 15, 2017 9:20 am

Give it a try. Report back if they let you in or not.

thejaredhuang Jun 15, 2017 11:26 am

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie (Post 28446137)
So if possible, please confirm:
As long as I'm holding a FC boarding pass on a UA flight, I can possibly get into the LH lounge in concourse B? Will they require a MP status card (which I don't have), or is the BP enough?

Thanks.

BP was enough. They never ask for my card when I go on a Y ticket with UA *G.

drewguy Jun 15, 2017 11:53 am

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang (Post 28446761)
BP was enough. They never ask for my card when I go on a Y ticket with UA *G.

Though different issue - a domestic BP for a *G member clearly entitles the passenger to access at the LH lounge. A domestic BP in F for a non-*G may or may not.

TomMM Jun 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by catocony (Post 28446199)
Give it a try. Report back if they let you in or not.

The worst that will happen is being told "This is not possible".

Often1 Jun 15, 2017 5:14 pm

A domestic F BP does not qualify for *G, e.g. LH entry. It's just that the LH receptionists may not have cottoned on to that.

But, LH bills UA for the entry, so at some point someone auditing UA's payments through *A will figure it out and the LH receptionists will get clear orders.

So, worst you get is that you drag yourself over to LH, get told no and do the "shuffle of shame" out of the place.

A better deal is to forget lounges on a non-stop xIAD. You are seated in F on a 3-class aircraft, so OH space is not an issue. There is no reason to arrive at IAD earlier than necessary to board at T-15. Lounges may be useful on connections or if you are at loose ends for hours.

1P Jun 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca (Post 28443075)
These tons of great food & drink options have somehow eluded me so far.

Well, Vino Volo ain't bad.....

fozziedoggie Jun 15, 2017 8:03 pm

Agree, but I may not get the late checkout I need from the Marriott, so plan B....

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 28448060)
A domestic F BP does not qualify for *G, e.g. LH entry. It's just that the LH receptionists may not have cottoned on to that.

But, LH bills UA for the entry, so at some point someone auditing UA's payments through *A will figure it out and the LH receptionists will get clear orders.

So, worst you get is that you drag yourself over to LH, get told no and do the "shuffle of shame" out of the place.

A better deal is to forget lounges on a non-stop xIAD. You are seated in F on a 3-class aircraft, so OH space is not an issue. There is no reason to arrive at IAD earlier than necessary to board at T-15. Lounges may be useful on connections or if you are at loose ends for hours.

catocony Jun 15, 2017 11:32 pm

You most likely will not get into the Lufthansa clubs. I've used it before on domestic flights, but I'm *G. Most others here are in the same boat.

Artpen100 Jun 16, 2017 6:57 am

Originally Posted by 1P (Post 28448145)
Well, Vino Volo ain't bad.....

Unfortunately, I find that when the UC clubs are crowded, it is because there are a lot of flight at that time and the better restaurants and bars will be crowded, too. By the way, the gate guru app will tell you want restaurants and bars there are and where they are, so you can plan ahead.

Miles Ahead Jun 16, 2017 8:08 am

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 28444114)
Once they take one of the existing UCs for Polaris, this would be a critical add. Losing one of the existing 3 is going to make the remaining clubs untenable.

Existing 4, right? There are 3 UC's and a GFL, right? When done they will have 3 UCs and a Polaris.

Not that I am defending IAD. DC has two airports. National, and National Disgrace.

Flying Machine Jun 16, 2017 8:47 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 28442103)
No - you have NO access to any United facility based just on your domestic F ticket. A domestic flight in F (whether or not on a Polaris-equipped plane) DOES NOT provide any United lounge access outside of p.s./Coast flights. If you are *G, you can use the LH lounge at IAD.

You can use the TK Lounge as well (Its a 2 minute walk from LH) at IAD..

Artpen100 Jun 16, 2017 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 28450339)
You can use the TK Lounge as well (Its a 2 minute walk from LH) at IAD..

Or both if you have time (or a UC Club card). The TK lounge really seems to be filling up, though, as the word gets out. A couple of weeks ago, late afternoon there were no seats in the front, and just a couple on that couch thing in the bar. Food was good, though. But no champers. LH Senator had much more room, and sekt.