FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Lounge options at IAD - Where do I go? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1848115-united-lounge-options-iad-where-do-i-go.html)

fozziedoggie Jun 14, 2017 10:23 am

United Lounge options at IAD - Where do I go?

I may be missing something (can't exactly find on the UA website). I have a Polaris First flight next month from IAD to SFO, can I access the Polaris lounge or is that only for international travel? Thanks for any help.

From UA's website:

Access policy
The following customers may access the United Polaris lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.
  • United Polaris first class and United Polaris business class customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
  • Star AllianceTM first and business customers departing on international flights
United Polaris first class and Star Alliance first customers are allowed to bring one adult or child with them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jun 14, 2017 10:28 am

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie (Post 28442071)
I may be missing something (can't exactly find on the UA website). I have a Polaris First flight next month from IAD to SFO, can I access the Polaris lounge or is that only for international travel? Thanks for any help.

You have no lounge access. While you might be on a Polaris plane, the flight is not international First. Polaris-equipped flights flown domestically (outside of p.s/Coast) do not get provide lounge access.

fozziedoggie Jun 14, 2017 10:29 am

Okay, so as I suspected, my FC ride only gains me access into the standard lounge?

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 28442092)
You have no lounge access. While you might be on a Polaris plane, the flight is not international First.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jun 14, 2017 10:31 am

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie (Post 28442096)
Okay, so as I suspected, my FC ride only gains me access into the standard lounge?

No - you have NO access to any United facility based just on your domestic F ticket. A domestic flight in F (whether or not on a Polaris-equipped plane) DOES NOT provide any United lounge access outside of p.s./Coast flights. If you are *G, you can use the LH lounge at IAD.

fozziedoggie Jun 14, 2017 10:32 am

Ouch!
Thanks.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 28442103)
No - you have NO access. A domestic flight in F (whether or not on a Polaris-equipped plane) DOES NOT provide lounge access outside of p.s./Coast flights.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jun 14, 2017 10:36 am

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie (Post 28442114)
Ouch!
Thanks.

Maybe someday IAD-SFO will be added to the p.s./Coast group.

Often1 Jun 14, 2017 10:39 am

There's no Polaris service on that route. If you are talking about UA 340, that's generally a 3-class internationally-configured 777, but it's not branded as and does not include any Polaris "extras". It's domestic F. Nicer hard product, but still F.

Not even the UC access which goes with TCON premium.

That's the bad news. The good news is that there are tons of great food & drink options on the C-D concourse at IAD.

br2k Jun 14, 2017 10:39 am

As one Admirals Club agent curtly told me several years ago (on an itinerary that would have granted me access were I to fly UA, but evidently not with AA) - "It will be gate 23 today, Sir".

Duke787 Jun 14, 2017 10:39 am

If you have a Priority Pass (from any of a number of CCs) you can access the AF, BA, and TK lounges in Concourses A/B (first two are subject to time of day restrictions, TK is not) which are honestly at least as good if not better than any of the standard UCs at IAD.

Just leave yourself enough time to get back to the C/D Concourses where UA departs, especially if you are unfamiliar with IAD.

fozziedoggie Jun 14, 2017 10:42 am

I can just burn the free Chase one-time lounge access paper pass. Never fly FC, so I was surprised that there really isn't included lounge access...no biggie, just surprising to this non-elite flier.

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 28442161)
If you have a Priority Pass (from any of a number of CCs) you can access the AF, BA, and TK lounges in Concourse B (first two are subject to time of day restrictions, TK is not) which are honestly at least as good if not better than any of the standard UCs at IAD.

emcampbe Jun 14, 2017 10:53 am

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie (Post 28442177)
I can just burn the free Chase one-time lounge access paper pass. Never fly FC, so I was surprised that there really isn't included lounge access...no biggie, just surprising to this non-elite flier.

Us-based carriers (and only in the US) do not allow lounge access on premium cabin tickets for domestic flights. There is just no way, given the large US domestic network, that they could accommodate the demand for this kind of access, at least not with the memebership-based access that they have (plus - the membership fees give them more revenue then including access in an already purchased ticket).

Artpen100 Jun 14, 2017 11:23 am

There is always the risk of getting turned away from the C/D UA lounges on a paper pass due to overcrowding. I see it frequently. I mainly use my Star Gold to access the TK and LH Senator lounges in A/B, but only if I am not in a hurry. And the TK has been very crowded in the late afternoons compared to LH.

What IAD really needs is an actual Polaris lounge in C/D for international flights. I remember thinking last time I was in one of the UA C/D lounges that if I was an occasional flyer and had actually paid for a UA business class ticket and that was what I got, I'd be sorely disappointed.

JayhawkCO Jun 14, 2017 11:40 am

Sorry to piggyback on the OP, but my wife and I are flying DEN-IAD-BRU with IAD-BRU on SN. Which United Club is "closest" to terminal B? We have some passes we need to burn. Thanks.

Chris

drewguy Jun 14, 2017 11:49 am

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO (Post 28442407)
Sorry to piggyback on the OP, but my wife and I are flying DEN-IAD-BRU with IAD-BRU on SN. Which United Club is "closest" to terminal B? We have some passes we need to burn. Thanks.

Chris

The only UCs are in the C/D concourse, which requires a ride on the train or bus (~15-20 mins one way). Given your desire to use passes, I assume you are not Star Alliance Gold, but if you are either the Lufthansa or Turkish lounges in Concourse B are your best bet.

seenitall Jun 14, 2017 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Artpen100 (Post 28442339)
What IAD really needs is an actual Polaris lounge in C/D for international flights.

I'm sure a Polaris Lounge is in the plans that UA may be thinking about discussing with the MWAA after the Silver Line is completed to IAD (maybe in 2019) when they begin to contemplate replacing C/D with a real terminal (perhaps after 2024) -- and maybe one that actually sits over the people-mover station currently used for C/D. :confused::confused::confused:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rovements.html