Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Past incident with elderly United passenger in Houston leads to lawsuit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

This story led the newscast at 10 pm this evening on KPRC-TV, the NBC network affiliate in Houston.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/in...man-at-airport

The incident involving an elderly male United passenger reportedly occurred back in 2015 but is apparently now just coming to light as it has resulted in a lawsuit.

A KPRC-TV news report earlier at 6 pm stated the elderly passenger had elite status, was a loyal customer and had around two million miles at the time of the incident.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 14, 2017 at 6:22 am Reason: clarification
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Pathetic.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Report says the GA was criminally convicted of injury to an elderly person. That means the civil suit will basically just be a damages prove-up.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by jlemon
This story lead the newscast at 10 pm this evening on KPRC-TV, the NBC network affiliate in Houston.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/in...man-at-airport

The incident involving an elderly male United passenger reportedly occurred back in 2015 but is apparently now just coming to light as it has resulted in lawsuit.
As someone who routinely scrunches up and loses 50% of his boarding passes and gets them re printed by GA's and CS agents I am aghast at this,and wonder as to what set of circumstances occurred prior or what was said at the time that could possibly have such an outcome
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Report says the GA was criminally convicted of injury to an elderly person. That means the civil suit will basically just be a damages prove-up.
Assuming the victim is represented by a good attorney, I think it means a great settlement offer -- I'd expect UA is willing to pay a lot of money to avoid discovery.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
The UA statement seems weird.

“We are disturbed by the completely unacceptable behavior shown in a video of a customer and a former United employee at Bush Intercontinental Airport in 2015. The actions shown here do not reflect our core values or our commitment to treat all of our customers with respect and dignity. We are reviewing all circumstances surrounding this incident and reaching out to our customer through his attorney to profusely apologize for what occurred and to make this right.”

Is that what they are doing now? Reviewing the circumstances (video?)? What have they done since the assault?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:33 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
What kills United is the following (quoting the article, you can see it in the video in the link above):

After hitting his head on the ground, Tigner lies motionless with his arms splayed out and yet not one United employee bothers to bend down and talk to him. ...

"He was. He lied there," Hoke said. "He lies there lifeless for minutes. Not one employee comes to check on him."
"None of the United employees even bend down to see if he's OK, to see it he's alive?" Spencer asked.
"No one even went to check his pulse," Hoke said. "They literally left him there like a piece of garbage."
In fact, over the course of the nearly three-minute surveillance video, not one United employee ever appears to try to comfort the man in any way.

Fifty seconds into the video, a passenger walking by stops to help, as United employees just watch.

Everyone connected with this incident - not just the "pusher" should have been fired.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
What kills United is the following (quoting the article, you can see it in the video in the link above):

After hitting his head on the ground, Tigner lies motionless with his arms splayed out and yet not one United employee bothers to bend down and talk to him. ...

"He was. He lied there," Hoke said. "He lies there lifeless for minutes. Not one employee comes to check on him."
"None of the United employees even bend down to see if he's OK, to see it he's alive?" Spencer asked.
"No one even went to check his pulse," Hoke said. "They literally left him there like a piece of garbage."
In fact, over the course of the nearly three-minute surveillance video, not one United employee ever appears to try to comfort the man in any way.

Fifty seconds into the video, a passenger walking by stops to help, as United employees just watch.

Everyone connected with this incident - not just the "pusher" should have been fired.
Quite. UA must have a protocol to be followed when a passenger falls ill and I don't believe that the protocol is to stand, stare and leave well alone. So none of them did their job.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
I'm sorry, but what? A lot of baseless assumptions you're pulling out of thin air to degrade something (unions) completely unrelated to this situation. Completely unnecessary.
No, I think he was spot on.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:00 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Story getting some legs. Featured on Today just now. Not looking great for United - again.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Story getting some legs. Featured on Today just now. Not looking great for United - again.
I was watching some clips from the late night shows a couple days ago, and United was still being jabbed from the Dao incident.

This perception of United is beginning to set in concrete.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
If I had been the UA CEO during the Dr. Dao triage operation, I would have called my senior staff to together and lit a fire under them to locate and identify any other smoking guns out there and ensure they are quietly settled.

That UA allowed this old news to be yet another stain on their reputation is simply amazing.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
the attorney did well giving this to channel 2. the first 5 minutes of the 10 o'clock news for a 2 year old story. I would be more sympathetic if the case had been files 2 years ago. looks like a money grab to me.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:32 am

wowza, this is BAD. to me, this is 100x worse than the dao incident. actually, i still side with UA on the dao incident. but this one, assuming the video wasn't doctored and there wasn't something more that we don't know about (ie, the pax saying he had a gun or something), this one looks to be much worse for UA imho.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:06 am

"the attorney did well giving this to channel 2. the first 5 minutes of the 10 o'clock news for a 2 year old story. I would be more sympathetic if the case had been files 2 years ago. looks like a money grab to me."

In this case, I see nothing wrong with this person going for a "money grab". But, this case could have been going on since the incident and it was just brought back in the limelight because of what is going on with United. Either way, IF this actually happened the way they are portraying it, this person deserves whatever he gets. This is unbelievable!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.