Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Forced to Check Carry-On Baggage when Plenty of Space On-Board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forced to Check Carry-On Baggage when Plenty of Space On-Board

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
I think you're in the minority that does this (unfortunately). Just this morning, I watched 3 people in F near me get on, throw their backpack/briefcase up top, and sit down. They were all non-bulkhead people.

All I kept thinking to myself is, this is why we run out of overhead bin space.
Well, its not just this. I also see people do the following often:
  • To make it easier to put the bag in the bin, they don't worry about putting it in wheels first, but horizontally so it takes up double the amount of space (I've even seen folks literally leave it diagonally in whatever position it ends up in...seriously). Once in a while, when someone is looking for space, an agent will come to intervene and move things around...often not.
  • bags that are bigger than allowed (the "see...it fits in the bin crowd", but who cares if no one else can get their bag in) or bring multiple full-size carry ons on.

Originally Posted by drvannostren
The other thing that gets me, this time as a passenger, is why is NO ONE ever told to use the space under the seat. I know no one WANTS to use that space, but most bags that get checked could fit under there, or a purse/backpack could be moved from the overhead under the seat to make room.
You've never heard this? I hear this on almost every flight - some variation of 'the storage space for your smaller personal item is under the seat in front of you'. Usually multiple times during the boarding process.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
I've been dinged on this a few times with UA, both in J and Y. All three times there was ample room overhead for my carryon.

The worst, which caused me to stop flying them, was OS. Gave me a hard time at J check in for having a bag that weighed .4 over the limit, so I emptied a few things out into my pockets to get it under. Once I arrived at the gate, they said they needed to check my bag in because of "space issues". I resisted and was threatened with "security". I relented and boarded, of course my overhead was empty.

Absolute bs.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
In the big picture, these are not life-altering issues, but they add to the frustration of flying UA these days. UA can talk all it wants about improving the passenger experience, but the fact is that it is continuing to implement a series of changes and policies that make flying decidedly less pleasant and more stressful.

A less mentioned impact of the pressure being put on GAs is that it stresses them out, and makes them more likely to mistreat passengers. It's a truly vicious cycle.
The masses wanted ontime service, and now they have it. Can't have your cake and eat it too. There are consequences for the often misleading "ontime" statistic.

Besides, where are customers going to run to? The other airline that does it even more aggressively? There's nowhere to go.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Often1
Not only is this not a solution, but it doesn't work at stations --- an ever increasing number --- where the bag needs to be accounted for and can't be because it hasn't been scanned into the hold.

AA and DL do the same thing.

Now, agent has to board, has the name of the pax and the missing bag tag and checks the OH around the pax. Either the moron fesses up or the aircraft sits there because the alternative is recalculating weight & balance.

That may be fine unless you've got a connection at a hub like DEN or it's a major station such as DEN or ORD and the aircraft loses its departure priority.
Interesting. Haven't ever noticed this happening.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Anyone who steps on a plane more than 2-3x a year is not even going to consider 29 minutes as something to become increasingly irate or dwell over.
Grossly disagree. Back when I was one of the most frequent flyers in the US (500k BIS/year without leaving the US), I cared VERY much about 30 minutes per flight. That was why I hated AA baggage at LAX (40+ minutes at that time) and why I drove INTO LAX 30 minutes before departure (went into structure, went up to level 3, walked across the bridge and sat down in my seat about 10 minutes before flight). I risked missing flights by only arriving 30 minutes in advance (before TSA), but calculated that if I added 30 minutes to each of my flight segments that would be about 3 hours per week, and I didn't have the time.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by minnyfly
The masses wanted ontime service, and now they have it. Can't have your cake and eat it too. There are consequences for the often misleading "ontime" statistic.

Besides, where are customers going to run to? The other airline that does it even more aggressively? There's nowhere to go.
On time flights and effective utilization of overhead bin space are not mutually exclusive outcomes. This is not an either/or proposition.

I agree there are less options domestically, which is a shame.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Yes, your experience is an annoying situation... but man, if this isn't an overreaction...

Just send a complaint to UA, I'm sure they'll throw you some bonus miles which is a reasonable (if not generous) compensation for the inconvenience.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
On time flights and effective utilization of overhead bin space are not mutually exclusive outcomes. This is not an either/or proposition.
Oh, yes it can be an either/or. If you think that policies like these aren't contributing to the higher ontime percentages, I believe you need to think again. There's a significant financial incentive to screw some customers, and that incentive was created by the general customer. Imagine that.

There's a huge push for D0, ontime departure to keep things moving smoothly all day. The biggest issue that can derail it is a slow boarding process. A mechanical issue or block times are in the airline's hands. But they can't control how passengers navigate boarding a full flight. So this is what we've got now. It sucks, but I also don't blame them. It's either/or.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Oh, yes it can be an either/or. If you think that policies like these aren't contributing to the higher ontime percentages, I believe you need to think again. There's a significant financial incentive to screw some customers, and that incentive was created by the general customer. Imagine that.

There's a huge push for D0, ontime departure to keep things moving smoothly all day. The biggest issue that can derail it is a slow boarding process. A mechanical issue or block times are in the airline's hands. But they can't control how passengers navigate boarding a full flight. So this is what we've got now. It sucks, but I also don't blame them. It's either/or.
Sorry, but the data proves you wrong: (DOT report on airline performance, early 2017)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ghts/96784630/
1. Hawaiian Airlines, 91.5%
2. Delta Air Lines, 91.4%
3. Alaska Airlines, 88.0%
4. Frontier Airlines, 87.5%
5. Spirit Airlines, 86.4%
6. United Airlines, 86.1%
7. Southwest Airlines, 86.1%
8. American Airlines, 85.4%
9. SkyWest, 85.2%
10. JetBlue Airways, 84.3%
11. ExpressJet (flies regional flights for American, Delta and United), 82.8%
12. Virgin America, 81.4%

I'm only one sample set, but only UA has had this issue for me. I mostly travel WN which ties UA and have never had this issue. I fly F9 second and also never an issue (though their paid carry-on makes them hard to compare).

Last edited by alchemista; Jun 14, 2017 at 1:25 pm
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by alchemista
Sorry, but the data proves you wrong
Your random data set tells us absolutely nothing on its own. What are you trying to prove? What is this data for?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

You aren't getting my point.

Yes, restricting carry on bags can reduce boarding times...BUT, that is not the only method to achieve the same result.

Airlines can absolutely have efficient boarding and efficient use of overhead space. It takes more effort and coordination on the part of staff, both Flight Attendants and Gate Agents, but it can be done.

Calling United out for their shortcomings does not warrant a "blame the passengers" response.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Your random data set tells us absolutely nothing on its own. What are you trying to prove? What is this data for?
Sorry I should have better sourced it. It was airline on-time performance from the DOT, from an early 2017 report so recent. I updated the post so it's in one place.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by alchemista
Sorry, but the data proves you wrong: (DOT report on airline performance, early 2017)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ghts/96784630/
1. Hawaiian Airlines, 91.5%
2. Delta Air Lines, 91.4%
3. Alaska Airlines, 88.0%
4. Frontier Airlines, 87.5%
5. Spirit Airlines, 86.4%
6. United Airlines, 86.1%
7. Southwest Airlines, 86.1%
8. American Airlines, 85.4%
9. SkyWest, 85.2%
10. JetBlue Airways, 84.3%
11. ExpressJet (flies regional flights for American, Delta and United), 82.8%
12. Virgin America, 81.4%

I'm only one sample set, but only UA has had this issue for me. I mostly travel WN which ties UA and have never had this issue. I fly F9 second and also never an issue (though their paid carry-on makes them hard to compare).
Of course carry-on restrictions are the one and only factor contributing to on-time performance, and of course UA and WNs boarding process is identical in every other regard except for carry-on policy.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kb9522
Of course carry-on restrictions are the one and only factor contributing to on-time performance, and of course UA and WNs boarding process is identical in every other regard except for carry-on policy.
Of course not. But minnyfly said that bin space & on-time performance is either-or, which is clearly false. That was the point of that data.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
GAs are under increasing pressure to turn aircraft quickly. Gary Leff has been writing recently about Kirby's emphasis on D0, and how that negatively impacts the passenger experience.

There are a number of consequences of this focus, including particularly GAs (i) starting and ending boarding prior to the published times, and (ii) forcing gate checks when there is still overhead space. I find the former more frustrating than the latter (perhaps because if I'm not in Group 1, I'm not carrying on a bag).

In the big picture, these are not life-altering issues, but they add to the frustration of flying UA these days. UA can talk all it wants about improving the passenger experience, but the fact is that it is continuing to implement a series of changes and policies that make flying decidedly less pleasant and more stressful.

A less mentioned impact of the pressure being put on GAs is that it stresses them out, and makes them more likely to mistreat passengers. It's a truly vicious cycle.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
This is spot on. Well said ^
This has Kirby written all over it. I recall similar frustration with D0 from AA pilots, staff, and customers before Kirby left AA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.