Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Coast: IAD-LAX with lie-flat seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold

I note that UA is not doing their premium service to/from LAX - IAD. That said I have done a couple recent trips and noticed that F has (at least for me) been lie flat. Service is nothing special nor are the meals, but do you think that UA is working to upgrade F seats and thus provide something of an E+ United Coast service. That would be a nice start.

The flights I've taken so far have had nice pillows and the nice Saks blankets. And, as noted, lie flat seats.

Even better, perhaps they are testing demand for the seats as a beta rollout.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
UA has been running at least one flight a day out of SFO that is lie-flat for years. Rest are regular F. I imagine most seats to IAD are regular F too, out of LAX. I haven't seen any real change towards more lie-flat.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
I note that UA is not doing their premium service to/from LAX - IAD. That said I have done a couple recent trips and noticed that F has (at least for me) been lie flat. Service is nothing special nor are the meals, but do you think that UA is working to upgrade F seats and thus provide something of an E+ United Coast service. That would be a nice start.

The flights I've taken so far have had nice pillows and the nice Saks blankets. And, as noted, lie flat seats.

Even better, perhaps they are testing demand for the seats as a beta rollout.
My guess is that IAD-LAX (and other routes that have had occasional lie-flats) will lose them, as the equipment transitions to cover BOS<>SFO.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by wxguy
My guess is that IAD-LAX (and other routes that have had occasional lie-flats) will lose them, as the equipment transitions to cover BOS<>SFO.
The B777 HD is also used for BOS <> SFO and between hubs, in addition to Hawaii routes. Occasionally, international aircraft make some short turns between two international flights. So, if UA wishes, more "coast" routes will be possible. One can always dream about it.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I doubt it will be "Coast" (stupid name), but just a regular flight that happens to have lie flat seats...just like occasionally happens on other routes.

It will not get UC access, etc.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Doubtful. No serious competition to speak of on this route.

​​​​​
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I suspect that some form of an upgrade on the DCA-SFO is the most likely because DL is offering D1 on its DCA TCON.

DCA grabs the HVC traffic to the extent that schedule permits it because you can leave downtown DC 45 minutes before departure and easily make your flight with carry-on and Pre-Check. That isn't even enough time for the physical trek out to the curb at IAD (which is half-way to the gate!).

IAD has little competition for TCON, so no particular reason for UA to invest in aircraft and UC's (which are already overcrowded).
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:48 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
They should call it "UA Ocean" hahahah.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
I suspect that some form of an upgrade on the DCA-SFO is the most likely because DL is offering D1 on its DCA TCON.

DCA grabs the HVC traffic to the extent that schedule permits it because you can leave downtown DC 45 minutes before departure and easily make your flight with carry-on and Pre-Check. That isn't even enough time for the physical trek out to the curb at IAD (which is half-way to the gate!).

IAD has little competition for TCON, so no particular reason for UA to invest in aircraft and UC's (which are already overcrowded).
DL's flat bed is a way of making their 1x daily more competitive against AA's 2x

as for DCA-SFO, it's a duopoly right now with no possible new entrant in the foreseeable future, so why offer flat bed when there's no competitive threat or meaningful gain in revenue ? The attractiveness of DCA alone makes customers willing to pay good premium for it, flat bed or not.

If anything, if UA has spare flat beds and want to make a meaningful change, BOS-LAX is the best candidate.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bulgarianfreak55
They should call it "UA Ocean" hahahah.
Or C2C. Sea to sea.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
nah.....Swamp to Sea (S2S)....more apt today
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:34 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
United AtlaPac
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, for years UA had a 3-class widebody, dpt LAX 8:00 a.m.; dpt IAD ~ 5:00 p.m.
The flights served the large bank of TATL flights into/out of IAD.
Personally, flying in C, I would always choose that over the EWR zoo.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
My IAD-SFO flight (UA 340) in first in mid August is currently showing a 777 with 1-2-1 seating with lie-flats up front.

However, others here on FT have mentioned that sometimes UA will operate this flight with a Hawaii config 777 with 2-3-2 seats up front.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
going LAX - IAD and IAD - LAX. Sept 11 // Sept 13

Outbound is an A320 with regular F

Inbound is a 757 with lie flats.

Last edited by Rumples; Aug 28, 2017 at 3:53 pm Reason: 757 not 767

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.