Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Secondary Passport Check on Flights to Germany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Interesting UA paper flyer at IAD

Spotted at gate C19 at IAD, a flyer taped to the desk that says:

Who would have known it was that simple...

Checking for unsigned U.S. passports on German flights

Would have saved IAD $37,745 in 2014

It is up to everyone to check U.S. passports

*At the ticket counter check-in
*At the CSC rebooking
*At the gate
I wonder what the story is here — did UA face fines from German passport inspectors? Were people actually turned away from immigration and flown back to the U.S. to go sign their passports at home?? Fascinating.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Maybe: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...alert-mmb.html ?
Old May 28, 2015, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Germany must be serious about it, BA even has a warning on their website.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by mherdeg

I wonder what the story is here — did UA face fines from German passport inspectors? Were people actually turned away from immigration and flown back to the U.S. to go sign their passports at home?? Fascinating.
The GAs at EWR and the FAs on EWR-BFS last week kept on reminding us to make sure our passports are signed. There was a signature check during boarding, and then before landing they many another announcement that the passport must be signed, but that only applied to US passport holders only.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
For years, every time I've taken UA to Germany (even pre-merger), the UA rep gets on the plane on arrival and warns in an authoritarian tone with German accent, that presentation of an unsigned passport is punishable by an immediate 1,000 Euro fine.

I bet they hit the airline too.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by channa
For years, every time I've taken UA to Germany (even pre-merger), the UA rep gets on the plane on arrival and warns in an authoritarian tone with German accent, that presentation of an unsigned passport is punishable by an immediate 1,000 Euro fine.
I don't recall ever hearing that, but it could have easily gone into the "ignore the announcements" bucket in my brain.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I've flown to Germany more than 50 times on UA and rarely heard it.

I do remember a flight where the FRA-based crew made this announcement.

Last edited by MatthewLAX; May 28, 2015 at 10:27 pm
Old May 28, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12F70 Safari/600.1.4)

I wonder if it is a Frontex requirement, and Germany just so happens to be a stickler for enforcing th directive.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
and TIMATIC

National USA (US) /Destination Germany (DE)

Germany (DE)

Passport required.
- Passports and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
for at least 3 months beyond the period of intended stay.
Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of emergency or temporary passports issued to
nationals of USA.

VISA NOT REQUIRED.

Minors:
- Minors aged up to/incl. 15 years of age may be included in
the passport of a parent or guardian, provided
For details, click here
Additional Information:

- Valid visas in full or expired travel documents are accepted
provided For details, click here
- Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to
cover their stay and documents required for their next
destination.

Warning:
- Passports must be signed by the holder. Passports without
signatures will be accepted if: For details, click here

- Passports and/or passport replacing documents issued more
than 10 years prior to date of travel are not accepted.

Originally Posted by mherdeg

It is documented in TIMATIC...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 28, 2015 at 11:47 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old May 29, 2015, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by fgirard
The GAs at EWR and the FAs on EWR-BFS last week kept on reminding us to make sure our passports are signed. There was a signature check during boarding, and then before landing they many another announcement that the passport must be signed, but that only applied to US passport holders only.
The GA at EWR are [sticklers] when it comes to docs checks. As someone with 2 passports ( actually 3) from different countries, this throws them into disarray. Repeated TIMATIC checks done in the most unprofessional way.
Its one of the reasons why I hate flying UA internationally.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 29, 2015 at 4:23 am Reason: edited to remove term many find offensive
Old May 29, 2015, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Interesting UA paper flyer at IAD

Interesting, since I traveled to Canada last week, with our 3-month old who was inaugurating her passport. At check in at CVG, where UA obviously doesn't have any international flights, was asked to sign her passport as her parent - the check in staff (not even officially UA staff) used the specific example of Germany being strict on not allowing anyone in, even minors, without a signature in their passport.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by meFIRST
The GA at EWR are [sticklers] when it comes to docs checks.
They usually just do some sort of scribble on the BP. If you have a similar colored pen or highlighter, you can do your own doc check. Kind of like self-checkin. Not that i do this, but just sayin'.

It's not a crime to scribble on a BP.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
A child's Canadian passport is required to remain unsigned. In fact, if a child's Canadian passport is signed it's made invalid. A few years ago my wife, 7-month old daughter and I were flying from RSW in Florida home to Vancouver.

However, the check-in agent refused to check us in because our 6-month old child's passport was unsigned.

We tried to explain that Canadian child's passports remain unsigned, but she would have nothing for it, claiming she'd 'been to a course and knew the facts' and that she'd 'pay a huge fine if she let us through'.

Finally we convinced her to phone head office, which she did, only to discover we were correct. Even then she told us we'd be turned away at security. We weren't of course.

We now have the relevant explanatory pages from the Passport Canada web site printed and folded up inside our daughter's passport.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

Tonight, boarding UA989, IAD-FRA, the agents required a secondary passport check for all passengers at the gate. According to the GA, there have been too many passengers showing up at passport control in Germany without signed passports. Apparently, the Germans are deporting people who are showing up without signed passports. United gets fined by the Germans.

Heads up to others flying from the United States to Germany on United, that you may also have to get in line again for a secondary passport check at the gate.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sannmann
...the Germans are deporting people who are showing up without signed passports...
Germany deporting "bad hombre" Americans

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.