Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Tried 6 J Class Seats And United BF Seat Beats Them All

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tried 6 J Class Seats And United BF Seat Beats Them All

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pandablood
Yeah, I had something grey. Was nice for me.
At risk of going OT, I believe the pictured seat cover/pad is the current provision for TK.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by seat38a
Service and food are really becoming less important for me. There was a time, when I was awwwed by it but now I only stay up for it to take photo's for my trip reports.
Originally Posted by BigBossman
The only seats I have liked more for padded comfort are UA GF, LH F, and TG (New 747 and 380) F seats. Of course, these were F seats with all the extra width and physical distance between pax, and in he case of LH F and TG F, it was almost like laying on a real bed!
Pretty much the same here.

LH+LX F > UA GF/BF > LX+OS J > LH J > * > CA J

Polaris soft and its mattress pad, cooling pillow, and pajamas sealed the comfortability deal for me. More modern and less abused interior would be nice, but I am not stepping a foot on a plane for that. I need to go from place A to B, often overnight, I want a good rest and happy to skip the food (but gimme a sundae ;-)).

I do not know what Air China did with their J seats, but on a day flight, I'd prefer LH Premium Economy over it.

Personally, I am looking forward to add OZ/SQ/AC seat experience in J over the new weeks.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
I honestly prefer the UA GF seats over LH F.
I disagree. The LH seat is better. Much wider, you can more easily turn and sleep on your side.

As far as C-class ... I love the LX seat ... sleep much better than the UA seats since there is more leg room. When I get a PMCO seat bulkhead ... that is close.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flybit
the worst business class seat is Air Canada, the seat is hard does not really lie flat to the floor, and the tray table is so low you cant roll over.
huh ... it's a very nice seat, especially the 78x flights.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Every seat is sleepable with enough Buffalo Trace in you. That said, I actually do like both the pmCO and the pmUA seats in BF. Yes, even the 2-4-2 configuration. Definitely beats the heck out of sitting in Y.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
I disagree. The LH seat is better. Much wider, you can more easily turn and sleep on your side.

As far as C-class ... I love the LX seat ... sleep much better than the UA seats since there is more leg room. When I get a PMCO seat bulkhead ... that is close.
I'm with you. Perhaps the seat material is softer and more plush in UA GF than in LH but the LH seat is certainly far more spacious and open. Plus UA GF just looks drab with all the gray; I love the bright airiness of LH's cabin.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1k
Through a series of fortunate events (kids done with college) we go to try a decent set of star alliance J Seats over the last two years

Best for sleeping: Tap Portugal new A330 V3 window seat V3 (new lie flat config for some TATL). While a bit on the narrow side, the staggered arrangement creates a nice cubicle with two side walls and you still have direct aisle access. Very private and comfortable. On the other hand aisle seats are pretty bad since you tend to roll of the bed spilling into the ailse.

Runners up: Thai A380, AC 787 (middle seats for a couple). LH 747-8 upstairs, ANA 878 window inwards

Not as nice as expected: SQ 777, LH 380 (which as surprisingly uncomfortable)
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by BigBossman
The only seats I have liked more for padded comfort are UA GF, LH F, and TG (New 747 and 380) F seats. Of course, these were F seats with all the extra width and physical distance between pax, and in he case of LH F and TG F, it was almost like laying on a real bed!
My all time favorite has been the LH F 747-400 separate bed. Loved this layout, and although the width of the separate bed isn't as wide as others it was very comfortable IMO.

I do have to say that the SQ F suite mattress pad is very, very comfy as well. I preferred it to the TG F suite on their A380
Attached Images  
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by zrs70
I agree for the most part. JetBlue's Mint product is new and shiny. But the seats are pretty lousy. There is no good recline mode. Same with Singapore Air.
I just got off a redeye flight in a Mint Suite this morning, and I'm kind of relieved to see someone else thinks this way. I was very impressed by the spaciousness of the seat when upright, but felt really uncomfortable trying to sleep. It wasn't a seat pitch issue (I'm 5'7), but everything felt too narrow, especially the footwell and shoulder area. Also, I prefer the seat controls on UA's seats, which are less... aggressive.

I rarely use IPTE, but played around with it a bit and thought the remote was about as bad as the CO DirecTV armrest remotes and the selection poor. I did like the Grado headphones - a nice nod to a local brand. I passed on dinner but loved the bagel bomb + cookie given out in the morning.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by bookeew
LH+LX F > UA GF/BF > LX+OS J > LH J > * > CA J

I do not know what Air China did with their J seats, but on a day flight, I'd prefer LH Premium Economy over it.

I find CA's J seats are virtually the same as those used by sCO. Comfortable enough, although I do give sUA C seats the edge in seat cushioning.

Count me as one who is not a fan of SQ's business seats. They are just not that comfortable.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Hilmar Lehnert
Through a series of fortunate events (kids done with college) we go to try a decent set of star alliance J Seats over the last two years

Best for sleeping: Tap Portugal new A330 V3 window seat V3 (new lie flat config for some TATL). While a bit on the narrow side, the staggered arrangement creates a nice cubicle with two side walls and you still have direct aisle access. Very private and comfortable. On the other hand aisle seats are pretty bad since you tend to roll of the bed spilling into the ailse.

Runners up: Thai A380, AC 787 (middle seats for a couple). LH 747-8 upstairs, ANA 878 window inwards

Not as nice as expected: SQ 777, LH 380 (which as surprisingly uncomfortable)
I've only flown the LH 748 and A380 in F but I though the J seat was the same? What about the LH A380 J seat made it uncomfortable compared to the 748? I've flown LH J on the 744 and 346 and didn't think the seat was very comfortable in that it is narrow and not well-padded.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Count me as one who is not a fan of SQ's business seats. They are just not that comfortable.
And that presumes you even get a flight with lie-flats. I flew BNE-SIN on SQ a few weeks ago, and those are still recliner seats for a >8 hour flight.

(It was a day flight, so I didn't mind, but even so...)
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
I've only flown the LH 748 and A380 in F but I though the J seat was the same? What about the LH A380 J seat made it uncomfortable compared to the 748? I've flown LH J on the 744 and 346 and didn't think the seat was very comfortable in that it is narrow and not well-padded.
Yes it's exactly the same on the 380 and 748. I like the LH J experience but the seat is sub-par in virtually all respects.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 1kBill

I find CA's J seats are virtually the same as those used by sCO. Comfortable enough, although I do give sUA C seats the edge in seat cushioning.

For me, even though the difference was almost negligible, I never slept well on CA, but UA and even CO I almost always do (my memory might be clouded by the mattress pad though).
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by rmannion
I just got off a redeye flight in a Mint Suite this morning, and I'm kind of relieved to see someone else thinks this way. I was very impressed by the spaciousness of the seat when upright, but felt really uncomfortable trying to sleep. It wasn't a seat pitch issue (I'm 5'7), but everything felt too narrow, especially the footwell and shoulder area. Also, I prefer the seat controls on UA's seats, which are less... aggressive.

I rarely use IPTE, but played around with it a bit and thought the remote was about as bad as the CO DirecTV armrest remotes and the selection poor. I did like the Grado headphones - a nice nod to a local brand. I passed on dinner but loved the bagel bomb + cookie given out in the morning.
My other B6 issue is that the free wifi in painfully slow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.