Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Purchased business class itinerary, can I choose E+ seats on CRJ200 legs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchased business class itinerary, can I choose E+ seats on CRJ200 legs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
This is a genuine question - why would someone with no status purchase Business Class on United?
I did it last year: MCI-LIM-EZE-MCI. Connections in IAH.

Believe me: as an AA elite, I tried everything I could think of to get AA to price it. I can fly whatever carrier I like as long as the costs are *reasonably* in the same ballpark. I tried doing an MCI-LIM-MCI plus a LIM-EZE-LIM. I tried one-ways, I tried routing through Panama on a crappy 737... No matter what, the EZE-MCI piece was going to be $3k-4k by itself.

United priced the whole thing for under $3k, with widebodies on the long hauls. So I flew United in J with no status. I forget if there was a CR2 in there on the MCI-IAH piece...I want to say there was a small RJ, and it didn't have much E+ to begin with.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:40 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
Schedule and price, the two factors that drive the vast majority of flight purchases.
Not necessarily in that order for some.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

If it helps, UA isn't the only airline with this policy. I booked B6 J (Mint) BOS-LAX via JFK (this was last year, before they added Mint to the BOS-LAX nonstop), and discovered to my surprise that I could not select an Even More Space (B6' version of E+) on the BOS-JFK leg.

A call to customer service resulted in a very surprised agent agreeing that this was a stupid policy, and manually assigning me an E+ seat.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I think the worst was from a few years back: you could have an international full-F ticket with a connecting segment in E- on Ted!!

Further proof that contrary to their slogan, Ted did indeed hate you.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Zero. But certainly if they have a system where they can figure out how to code so that when checking in on a flight with a Y segment followed by an F segment = no checked bag fees, they can code for any itinerary that has an F segment, any Y segment allows E+ cost of $0.
Of course they can. They used to offer non-elites on Y fares CPUs, too. It is almost certainly a business decision, not a technical one.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by pinniped
Further proof that contrary to their slogan, Ted did indeed hate you.
Ted indeed hated you and so did its highly aggressive cabin crews who didn't want to serve pink lemonade.

just fell laughing
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by QBK
Not that the ERJ-145 is wonderful, but mentioning it in the same sentence with the CR2 is a terrible injustice. . 18A is head and shoulders above anything available on the CR2 -- and is unique among UA Economy seats in having pretty good legroom and being both window and aisle at the same time.....
One of my favorite Y seats in the entire fleet...if not THE favorite. I've been perfectly happy in that seat DEN-PIT (3-4 hours seat time) back when they put an ERJ-145 on that route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.