Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX United to American Terminal

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Directions from LAX UA club to AA gates

Is there an easy way to get from the LAX UA club (Terminal 7 I think) to the American Airlines gates? I have not been to LAX in quite a while and will be travelling with others.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes you can walk airside. Exit the club, turn left and immediately left and follow the signs to T4.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
It's not as straightforward as that, literally. There are lots of twists and turns, and I swear I would have gotten lost the first time if I had just followed the lousy LAX signage.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAWA has posted a map (PDF link)

When you get to Terminal 6, walk down to the escalators leading down to the connecting tunnels to get to T5 & T4.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
It's not as straightforward as that, literally. There are lots of twists and turns, and I swear I would have gotten lost the first time if I had just followed the lousy LAX signage.
Huh. That's how I found my way to TBIT airside the first time. Didn't have a guide or anything

I don't find the signage any worse than most major airports. Certainly no more difficult than FRA or IAH, for example.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mikey
Is there an easy way to get from the LAX UA club (Terminal 7 I think) to the American Airlines gates? I have not been to LAX in quite a while and will be travelling with others.
Turn left as you exit the Club entrance. Left again to the T7-T6 above-ground airside walkway. At T6, go the mid-gate area (near The Habit burger joint). Take escalator down to tunnel, which goes from T6 to T5 and then to T4. There's also an airside, above-ground connector from T4 to the Tom Bradley Int'l Terminal. It's not difficult.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
The signage going from T7 to TBIT is fine.

Getting back can be a bit confusing.

Last time I walked it (a week or so ago) the mid-tunnel "gates" had been removed.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by kale73
Getting back can be a bit confusing.
The toughest part TBIT=>T7 is right when you hit T5 . . . it's really easy to miss the turn and exit out to AA baggage claim.

Last edited by Kacee; May 29, 2017 at 8:42 pm Reason: Whoops . . . Changed 6 to 5
Old May 29, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
The toughest part TBIT=>T7 is right when you hit T6 . . . it's really easy to miss the turn and exit out to AA baggage claim.
LAWA often stations a person there just to ask passengers "where are you going?" and make sure they don't walk landside if they didn't mean to. I think 80% of the time I've walked from UA gates to TBIT I've talked to one of these people.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:38 pm

I knew about the tunnels when I worked at DL, so I actually never needed directions. But the T4-T5 tunnel is new (to the public anyway), and after I did a dry run last summer to get an idea of how to explain to my mother, I thought better to take her through it myself.

IMO, it's confusing and counterintuitive to walk the bridge from T7 to T6, which is located near landside, and instead of going straight towards T5, you have to go into the middle of T6 in order to get to the tunnel. And underneath T5, if you are not careful enough, turn the wrong way and you'd end up outside in baggage claim.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the map and all the advice!

One more question - we will be checking luggage. If we enter at terminal 7 for the United Club access, is there a way to check our luggage on American Airlines there (so we don't have to go to terminal 4 to check, then to terminal 7, then back for the AA flight)? Or should I enter at terminal 4? Or maybe curbside at terminal 7 is an option? I just don't know.

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by Mikey; May 29, 2017 at 9:17 pm
Old May 29, 2017, 9:28 pm

You have to check your bag with AA. The good thing is that AA has now moved into T5 (in addition to T4), so that'll save you one tunnel's worth of walking (at least in one direction).
Old May 29, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: Miles & More, AAdvantage, True Blue, Rapid Rewards
LAX United to American Terminal

First and foremost, apologies if this in the wrong section, I'm new to flyertalk and wasn't sure where it belonged. I'm flying United to LAX and will get in a Terminal 7, but other members of my group are flying American and will get in at Terminal 4. How hard is it post-security to change terminals and how long will it take to get to Terminal 4 from Terminal 7? Thanks in advance!
Old May 29, 2017, 10:26 pm

There's an airside walkway to terminal 6. And from there you can take an airside tunnel to terminal 5 and continue to terminal 4. It's about a 15 minute walk.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by boardinggroupa
First and foremost, apologies if this in the wrong section, I'm new to flyertalk and wasn't sure where it belonged. I'm flying United to LAX and will get in a Terminal 7, but other members of my group are flying American and will get in at Terminal 4. How hard is it post-security to change terminals and how long will it take to get to Terminal 4 from Terminal 7? Thanks in advance!
Not sure how you're using post-security (as in after you leave the secure area?) but this question just got asked for staying in the secure areas. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1845225-directions-lax-ua-club-aa-gates.html#post28376322

Curbside you just walk out and go left. Probably about a 10-15 min walk. Go upstairs and do it from the 'departures' level to avoid all the exhaust fumes that get trapped at the ground 'arrivals' level. Will note that terminal 7 is next to the exit of the airport, so probably easier to have them come to you as LAX can get very congested, especially back from terminal 4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.