Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unable to waitlist for upgrades within 24 hours of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to waitlist for upgrades within 24 hours of departure

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Platinum
Originally Posted by sfo789
You won't be able to *wait list* a miles+cash upgrade within T-24 -- an agent could only process it if there were open R space on the flight (presuming you're upgrading from Y to J; if J to F, you need ON space). What's the flight # and route, so we can check?

Two likely options for you:

1) if R>0, you can call an agent and do a miles+cash upgrade in a few min. I've seen club and gate agents do this before but they don't like to / are often quite busy with irrops, seat assignments, etc., so phone is almost always best unless you're very close to departure and R has suddenly opened.

2) Regardless of R, if there are more than a couple seats open in J/F, the app and website should offer you a cash upgrade that's often better value than miles+cash (ex. I regularly see ~$849 on SFO<>LHR, which at 1.5cpm is equivalent to $550+20,000mi).
Really appreciate this. Flight is UA 180 from HKG to EWR
Old May 28, 2017, 4:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by somewhat traveling actuary
Really appreciate this. Flight is UA 180 from HKG to EWR
Flight shows J3 down to ZN3 but R0, so you can't do a miles+cash upgrade yet. Open your app, scroll to the reservation, tap "more options"/"check in" -- with ZN open, I'd be shocked if you don't see a good offer to upgrade as you tap through the check in process.

Otherwise, given nobody is on the list other than one nonrev, I'd say the chances of R opening before departure are decent, but probably not till T-3. The HKG UC agents are great though; they should be able to sort your upgrade if space opens, no problem.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm < 24 hours of my check in time and last minute wanted to do an upgrade for co-pay and $. I will need to top up some miles into my United account but easily have enough. I called United and they mentioned the system won't allow them to perform this <24 within the flight. Question is, will this option be available at the counter when I check in?

Thanks.
Presumably what they mean is you are not allowed to waitlist an upgrade within 24 hours of the flight. If space is available to clear immediately, you can submit a MUA any time until the flight is under gate control. So the story will be the same at the counter when you check in. To check for space available, look for 'R' inventory on your flight. (Some info. on how to enable expert mode to check inventories: https://thepointsguy.com/2016/01/usi...d-expert-mode/)

Your chances of catching open R are not great; you may have better luck just buying up or purchasing a cash upgrade when you check in. You can see offers for that if you check in on the website or when you get to the airport.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Platinum
Originally Posted by sfo789
Flight shows J3 down to ZN3 but R0, so you can't do a miles+cash upgrade yet. Open your app, scroll to the reservation, tap "more options"/"check in" -- with ZN open, I'd be shocked if you don't see a good offer to upgrade as you tap through the check in process.

Otherwise, given nobody is on the list other than one nonrev, I'd say the chances of R opening before departure are decent, but probably not till T-3. The HKG UC agents are great though; they should be able to sort your upgrade if space opens, no problem.
Thanks! What's considered a good offer to upgrade? I'm seeing 1,500 atm.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:03 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
Yea, most annoying thing ever.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Thanks! What's considered a good offer to upgrade? I'm seeing 1,500 atm.
That's on the higher end, but for a 16-hour flight I'd still consider it. Otherwise, at J3 ZN3 still, I'd expect it to level to R3 in the next ~30min. Just keep checking the flight with expert mode on and when it hits R>0 go to the UC counter / call in and get your upgrade applied.

Good luck!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: 1K 2MM
cannot be added to upgrade list within 24 hrs?

I was scheduled to fly tomorrow LHR-IAD-SEA, and had applied a GPU--my last one from last year. But, it's looking improbable for an UG LHR-IAD, only one seat left and I'm #8 on the list. However LHR-SFO-SEA has a lot more UGs available--41 out of 60 seats booked, and only 8 people on the UG list. So I called to switch to those flights, but was told I cannot be added to the UG list within 24 hours of the flight. I'm pretty sure I've done that before on flights to GRU, but was met with resounding no's on trying a couple of times w the 1K line. I switched anyway, and the GPU will be re-deposited, to apparently be applied at the gate if I can.

So my questions for the group are:

What's the reason for this? It doesn't seem to make sense to me, but I might be missing something. The 1K desk had no explanations, just a statement of policy

Is there anyway to finesse this? I land at LHR tomorrow, on a separate flight/airline, 2 hours before the LHR-SFO departure--is my best bet to hustle to a UA service desk and get my GPU applied asap, or is there a work around?

Thanks for any insight or advice!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Can’t respond to the reason why - but you c ant waitlist an upgrade within 24 hours (officially). That’s an important distinction. Watch like a hawk for R to open, because they can apply it if it’ll clear instantly.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: 1K 2MM
Thanks--I'll just call periodically and see what breaks loose if anything. And if not, I'll ask to have the GPU extended to April as per another thread.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The regular process by which an instrument is applied (adding a waitlisted segment) does not also add you to the upgrade standby list unless the waitlisted segment is present on the PNR ~24h15 prior to departure. The agent would need to add the w/l segment and also add you to the standby list with the correct priority (WBR as a 1K).

It's against policy to do that, for a host of technical reasons, but it is possible. Good luck!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:36 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

tkc98110, I integrated your thread with an ongoing one on the same topic, so that you can see others' experiences, esp. since the start of 2017. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
apply a GPU for same day travel?

If I get an urgent text one day that would require me to essentially leave same day, such as going to Australia, would I be able to buy a W class fare and apply a GPU to upgrade it to Polaris immediately?

I read somewhere that waitlists expire 24 hours before the flight and it goes to airport control?

I know on AA, I've been able to do a same day purchase and apply a SWU just 6 hours before departure.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, but it has to be PZ>0. You can't waitlist within 24 hours.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
If I get an urgent text one day that would require me to essentially leave same day, such as going to Australia, would I be able to buy a W class fare and apply a GPU to upgrade it to Polaris immediately? ...
If upgrade space PZ>0 or for GS PN>0, yes. But you can not be added to the waitlist inside 24 hours of departure. Must clear or no go.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, but it has to be PZ>0. You can't waitlist within 24 hours.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If upgrade space PZ>0 or for GS PN>0, yes. But you can not be added to the waitlist inside 24 hours of departure. Must clear or no go.
even with PZ=9 I have struck out recently. So it is a YMMV situation for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.