Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unable to waitlist for upgrades within 24 hours of departure

Unable to waitlist for upgrades within 24 hours of departure

Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
No way to apply RPU within 24 hrs.

Hi,

I just called United to try to apply an RPU to flight that is within 24 hours (I just SDC'd onto the flight). Agent said there is no way to use an RPU within 24 hrs. I have read on here that people have done this. Was the agent wrong?

If not, what is the justification for not allowing this? Why wouldn't United rather have someone use an RPU over someone getting a CPU?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
You may only use an RPU if you can confirm the upgrade immediately. In other words "R" space must be available on the flight. If no "R" space is available you can't use the RPU because United does not currently allow waitlisting for RPU upgrades within 24 hours of flight time. They are supposedly changing that rule down the road.

-RM
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
If there is R space available, then yes the agent was wrong.

If there is no R space, the agent is correct as you can't be added to the waitlist.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
You may only use an RPU if you can confirm the upgrade immediately. In other words "R" space must be available on the flight. If no "R" space is available you can't use the RPU because United does not currently allow waitlisting for RPU upgrades within 24 hours of flight time. They are supposedly changing that rule down the road.

-RM
Flight is #1583 tomorrow. United is showing: F2, A2, JN2, Z2, ZN2, P2, PN2, R2, RN2, IN2, I2

Should I Call back?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wxalex
Flight is #1583 tomorrow. United is showing: F2, A2, JN2, Z2, ZN2, P2, PN2, R2, RN2, IN2, I2

Should I Call back?
Yes
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA G

Should I Call back?
Yup. R/RN space is what you want and it's >0 in this case.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yes call ASAP. If the first agent does not agree, hang up instantly and call again. Do not argue with the agent at all, lest he/she may add notes to your reservation (which'll make the next agent agree to your request less likely)..
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by star_world
If there is R space available, then yes the agent was wrong.

If there is no R space, the agent is correct as you can't be added to the waitlist.
Correct. I just did this last weekend. I was scheduled and confirmed in F with an RPU on a tpa-ord flight on Sunday but wanted to leave earlier. I checked the R availability, then called the 1k line. Although she had to re-deposit the RPU back, she pulled it out again and reapplied it to the earlier leaving flight. Voila.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksingh0311
Yes call ASAP. If the first agent does not agree, hang up instantly and call again. Do not argue with the agent at all, lest he/she may add notes to your reservation (which'll make the next agent agree to your request less likely)..
Just called back and was confirmed immediately. Thanks everyone!

As a follow-up question. Just noticed the flight after mine (30 mins later) is an int'l 757 with lie-flat seats.

United is showing: F1, A1, JN1, Z1, ZN1, P1, PN1, R1, RN1, IN1, I1, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G9, N9, XN0, X0

What are my chances at SDCing onto that flight and keeping my seat in F?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 6, 2013 at 4:42 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
As a follow-up question. Just noticed the flight after mine (30 mins later) is an int'l 757 with lie-flat seats.

United is showing: F1, A1, JN1, Z1, ZN1, P1, PN1, R1, RN1, IN1, I1, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G9, N9, XN0, X0

What are my chances at SDCing onto that flight and keeping my seat in F?
Do it, but its a gamble. I would take the risk. Looks like you're flying between EWR and LAX...
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Do it, but its a gamble. I would take the risk. Looks like you're flying between EWR and LAX...
Actually, it is EWR-SFO.

Should I just be truthful and call and say I want the lie-flat seat?

Last edited by wxalex; Nov 5, 2013 at 1:34 pm Reason: more info
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, it is EWR-SFO.

Should I just be truthful and call and say I want the lie-flat seat?
Yeah, why not. It won't hurt and that way the agent may be able to get you back on the other seat if R somehow disappears during the transaction. But call now.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Success! This will be my first lie-flat seat flight on United! I am excited!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Success! This will be my first lie-flat seat flight on United! I am excited!
Have fun! I find the seats are perfect on a transcon flight and you will also appreciate the increased IFE options.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Hmm, this is weird. Just looked at my United account and the RPU has been re-deposited. My reservation is showing upgrade confirmed and that I am in R. I can also get mobile boarding passes. Should I worry?

Also, I cannot see my e-receipt and the website refuses to acknowledge that I checked in.

Last edited by wxalex; Nov 5, 2013 at 2:15 pm Reason: more info

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.