Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United sued for hard landing?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems to me that maybe it was a redeye and the woman was sound asleep when it landed? FA probably did not do the cabin safety check thoroughly and the woman's seatbelt was not buckled?

Safety checks have become very sloppy. I have even been on a night flight where they did not even turn on the lights to do it.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - taken the report as true, UA is obligated to compensate regardless of faults.

(red is mine) oh, my! As others have stated, this is wrong.

More like - every successful landing is a good landing.
^
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Any landing you walk away from is a good landing.
^
Originally Posted by trooper
Any landing after which you can use the aircraft again is a great one!
^
Originally Posted by EricH
I really wish United would offer these dolts a choice between two settlement offers: 1) go away, or 2) a lifetime ban from us and this list of other airlines that are also tired of people like you.
I like it. In fact, cover UA's costs to day or you get a lifetime ban on UA.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:26 pm
BJM

Programs: UA
It is exactly the case. Without linking this incident to a contract, the statute of limitation (personal injury) runs out in 2 years. 4 years if linked as a contractual obligation.
The Contract of Carriage??
Old May 30, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
$85K isn't a whole lot of money when the medical industry is involved. The women could very well have spent the last 2 years in insurance limbo unable to get their bills paid. Looks to me like they're just trying to get their bills paid, not retire to a tropical island.
Old May 30, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Global321
(red is mine) oh, my! As others have stated, this is wrong.
Then you should do a research on the common carrier liability.

You will be surprised.

Originally Posted by BJM
The Contract of Carriage??
Not exactly. But the ticket itself.

CoC governs the condition. But the actual ticket is what established the contractual relationship.
Old May 30, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
She's suing for negligence, not breach of contract. She wants tort remedies, not contract remedies. So wouldn't it be the negligence statute of limitations that applies, regardless of the existence of a contract?
Old May 30, 2017, 5:14 pm

Then you should do a research on the common carrier liability.

You will be surprised.
You stated, "UA is obligated to compensate regardless of faults". That statement is incorrect.

UA must be found at fault. The bar is low - any fault could result in full responsibility - but UA must be found at fault.

If these ladies...
  1. had pre-existing degenerative conditions, or
  2. were told by doctor to not fly, or
  3. are making the cause of the injury up, or
  4. _________________ (fill in the blank)

...maybe the airline is not at fault.

The court finds fault first. Liability second.
Old May 30, 2017, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
So wouldn't it be the negligence statute of limitations that applies, regardless of the existence of a contract?
Negligence is a broad term that can virtually apply in many different legal area, both civil and criminal. So the word negligence does not determine statute of limitations.

In this case, the lawyer is suing as a personal injury, alleging UA was negligent. So the statute of limitations for PI applies. In the alternative, the lawyer can also as a contract breach and negligence based on the ticket purchased.

However - since the recovery amount will be virtually the same under both theories, suing as a contract breach is redundant.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
However - since the recovery amount will be virtually the same under both theories, suing as a contract breach is redundant.
But no pain and suffering for a contract claim, right?

Also, though I wasn't clear, I did mean the applicable negligence statute of limitations would apply, not that there was one for all negligence claims. At any rate, it wouldn't be a breach of contract statute of limitations if suing for PI.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
But no pain and suffering for a contract claim, right?
No. Pain and suffering is available for a contract claim, usually when the plaintiff is a natural person.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 31, 2017 at 11:38 am Reason: Unneeded personal comment removed
Old May 31, 2017, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Common Carrier Strict Liability

Under this theory - UA is liable regardless of faults, as soon as its hard landing resulted the injury claimed.

The problem is - the plaintiff has to claim the nexus between UA's hard landing and the claimed disability.
That is a pretty big "problem" and seems to be different from what you were suggesting earlier - that the passengers made a claim, so now UA must pay, end of story.

Also, it is common carrier liability, not common carrier strict liability. The plaintiff would still have to prove (at least) negligence.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
IMO the guy used his rudder left and right at least 8 times. That's horrible.

You should be able to control the wind without using your rudder left and right that many times.

What if is was, like, really windy?

Should the pilot have refused to correct things with the rudder and risked losing control of the plane?
Old May 31, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bear96
That is a pretty big "problem" and seems to be different from what you were suggesting earlier - that the passengers made a claim, so now UA must pay, end of story.
I did not say that. This was what I have said exactly:

The only precedent available were those from, sadly, a major air incident.

FWIW - taken the report as true, UA is obligated to compensate regardless of faults.

So the key is if the hard landing caused both women permanently disabled or not.
UA can still deny the claim if it is bogus.

Originally Posted by Bear96
Also, it is common carrier liability, not common carrier strict liability. The plaintiff would still have to prove (at least) negligence.
I could be wrong on this one - They are interchangeable terms that means the same thing.

But under the doctrine of strict liability, no finding of fault is required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.