Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Continue beyond 1K or switch to another airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continue beyond 1K or switch to another airline

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I am in a similar position. I am lifetime Premier Platinum on UA due to my 2MM status. My travel is personal, mostly paid F (P fare) but the chances of me getting to 1K is very low due to the $12K bar. So from that point, no reason to fly UA. I am PP not matter what and that won't change.

But I do tend to fly UA unless an really good alternative presents itself. Why:
  • In irregular operations, United treats me pretty well. Not like a 1K, but better than non-status which I would be on another airline.
  • I like keeping my pile of RDMs as large as possible as my wife and I use them for intl trips on a regular basis. And UA's redemption is pretty good.
  • SDC! This really should be at the top of my list, as it is probably my number 1 driver towards UA. Yes, WN has even better terms, but no first class on WN and I tend to fly F.

UA gets about 60% of my business based on these reasons. I tend towards B6 for SFO-JFK because I love their Mint product and the prices are usually lower than UA. I am also flying VX increasingly since they compete pretty well in SFO to destinations I fly. And due to regular travel to ATL, DL also takes some share since their F product beats UAs in most regards.

TLDR; stick with UA for most travel, but ALWAYS keep an eye on other options and when they are better, take them!!
Old May 25, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by blueman2
I am also flying VX increasingly since they compete pretty well in SFO to destinations I fly.
What destinations? I'm always surprised by this because at least on my head-to-head routes (SFO-NYC/WAS) the pricing for VX F has been a complete joke.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by findark
What destinations? I'm always surprised by this because at least on my head-to-head routes (SFO-NYC/WAS) the pricing for VX F has been a complete joke.
Agreed for transcon to NYC. Their prices are higher and their non-lay-flat seats are arguably worse. But I fly SFO-DEN quite a bit, and their F seat is often less than UA. And their product is FAR superior to UA's product on that route. And sometimes their SFO-FLL flights in F are competitive in price, and again, far superior to the 737 based F that UA provides. But more to the point for FLL, United's nonstop service is seasonal and often inconvenient timing, but Virgin's schedule fits my needs much better.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by VinSFO

I fly SFO-NYC every other week. Based on my flights so far, I should be 1K on United next month. (already at $10k and 100k PQM)
Originally Posted by blueman2
I am in a similar position. I am lifetime Premier Platinum on UA due to my 2MM status.
You are certainly not in a similar position!
Old May 25, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
The difference between airlines is smaller than it use to be. I would stay on United and use the benefits of 1K. I had the same decision for many years as I was flying 250-300K PQM a year and could have easily gotten to 1K and Delta Diamond every year. However, by flying United I got to use the benefits of 1K. Upgrades are slim but 1K has other benefits on award tickets that are worth it.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - It's back in your court. Why do you care about status?

You will get a million opinions here from people telling you what they care about, but they don't matter. The question is what do you care about and what is it you want from an FFP and what is it that you would want GS for (if you could get it)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.