Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best strategy for getting Family of 4 Saver Awards : 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best strategy for getting Family of 4 Saver Awards : 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I actually think booking award tickets is easier than trying to book paid tickets since award tickets are done on a one way basis so you can snag the tickets instead of having to wait for the return dates. I did this for family members for December to Australia - booked them one way to Australia, then when the return dates opened up booked the returns.
Remember OP is not 1K so changes incur $$fees.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Pray!
Old May 20, 2017, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
The change/redeposit fee, assuming no status on UA, is $75 per passenger.

However...

What constitutes a "long layover" at Cairo? Anything longer than 24 hours will definitely increase the price of the award, as it will become a stopover.

Good luck!
Thanks, i misread the chart and looked at the old fees.. $75 each is much better than $200 , but since I do need the in between LXR and AMM the one way may not work.

Yes planning on doing a 12-20 hour layover in Cairo just to see the pyramids, we did that in Sydney two years ago and it worked perfectly. (We find it's easier for our family to dive into culture on short stays in smaller cities and just hit the highlight of the megacities)
Old May 20, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by jsloan
The change/redeposit fee, assuming no status on UA, is $75 per passenger.

However...

What constitutes a "long layover" at Cairo? Anything longer than 24 hours will definitely increase the price of the award, as it will become a stopover.

Regardless, in this situation, with the current state of UA's tools, I'm not sure I can recommend booking the one-ways in advance. In order to get this itinerary at 85K per person, you must take advantage of the "Excursionist Perk," where you can get LXR-AMM for no additional miles. _That_ requires a round-trip itinerary.

Whereas, under the old system, it would have been reasonably straightforward to call and convert a one-way award into a round-trip award, the current system sometimes appears to require current availability on all segments, including the ones you already have reserved. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone has been able to quantify "sometimes," or to find a pattern. But, there's definitely a risk that you'll call them up and the agent will be unable to make the change you want.

The best advice I can give is:

1 - Check frequently, starting from T-330
2 - Consider signing up for a service that monitors availability (e.g., ExpertFlyer)
3 - Check each set of flights as a one-way. In other words, search DEN-LXR, then LXR-AMM, then AMM-DEN. If you find availability on each of those, try booking the multi-city itinerary. If you cannot find those same flights, call. It's distressingly frequent for UA to show more availability on one-way searches than when the multi-city search is used. The agent will be able to stitch together an award, and if you mention that you tried to book it online and it wouldn't work, they'll normally waive the phone booking fee.

Good luck!
On the other hand, .bomb often has ghost inventory that is there but doesn't show-up on most of the searches.

For instance, I just got an 18+ hour layover in Cairo on a "saver" biz award for 2 because I fleetingly saw a flight listed on the previous day, but which was actually on the day I wanted but early in the morning, and did not show anywhere on the day I was actually searching.

It was really strange because the inventory would come and go, maybe only showing-up in only 1 out of 4 searches. Clearing the caches seems to help bring the inventory back, but it is inconsistent at best.

For further clarification, I only do O/W awards because I am always trying for the highest cabin, and LH doesn't release F inventory until 2-weeks from the flight.

Last edited by zombietooth; May 20, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Old May 20, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by usulbaggins
I am in a similar place. About the same dates but for Europe. Ideal is IAH-LHR direct. Not likely to happen in June....so I am open to flying TATL to AMS/FRA/MUC or from EWR/IAD/ORD.

Will need 4 tix. Have about 200K miles with United and another 350K with Chase which can be transferred as needed.

As of right now, I intend to focus on getting first acceptable route outbound on United or partners as a one way. The return can be on United, Air France, Singapore or (God forbid) BA.

Am I planning this right?
It's not fully clear to me what you have in mind as far as your return flight is concerned. If you're planning to purchase tickets with cash, you should be aware that one-way flights between North America and Europe are prohibitively expensive (often more costly than a RT). If one of your options is to use Delta miles to fly AF one-way, please note that DL imposes hefty surcharges on award travel originating in Europe, but not on award tickets originating in the USA. In other words, if you wish to use Delta miles for a one-way flight on DL or on a partner airline such as AF, it will be much to your advantage to do so on the outbound flight rather than the return.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: United, Chase Ultimate Rewards
OP let me apologize for partially hijacking this thread. My bad.

That being said, no intent of paying cash. Chase points can be transferred to Air France, BA and Singapore as well as to United. Given the points I have with UA, I will have to use them or partners for one way at least. The other could be United or one of the others if there is greater availability.

I will keep your suggestion about surcharges in mind as I go through this. Thanks.
Old May 21, 2017, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by usulbaggins
OP let me apologize for partially hijacking this thread. My bad.

That being said, no intent of paying cash. Chase points can be transferred to Air France, BA and Singapore as well as to United. Given the points I have with UA, I will have to use them or partners for one way at least. The other could be United or one of the others if there is greater availability.

I will keep your suggestion about surcharges in mind as I go through this. Thanks.
No problem.. the questions are related and have some overlap.. so useful information for both of us probably in all replies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.