Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Gate / Door Close Times for International Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, SW AL/CP

I'm going to be cutting it close for an SFO-ICN flight next week and was trying to figure out what time United will close the doors/gate.

Their website is pretty clear about a 15 minute cut-off for Domestic flights:
For flights within the U.S., all customers must be on board the aircraft 15 minutes before the scheduled departure time. We recommend being at the boarding gate at least 15 minutes before departure to ensure that you’re on the aircraft before the doors are closed.

However, for International flights it seems much more like a recommendation than a policy:
For international flights, we encourage you to be at the gate no later than 30 minutes before your scheduled departure.

Does anyone know what time they'll actually close the doors? I've searched pretty hard and come up empty.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
My HKG-SFO (only one w/in arm's reach) says Boarding Ends: 11am & Flight Departs: 11:15am.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chutchins
... For international flights, we encourage you to be at the gate no later than 30 minutes before your scheduled departure. ....
It more than "encouragement", your seat assignment is subject to loss if you are not at the gate available for boarding 30 minutes prior to departure on international flights. The GA will start placing standbys at that time and if standbys fill the plane, you will be offloaded from the flight. Do not expect to be boarded after the 30 minute mark. This is covered in the CoC.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 17, 2017 at 12:43 am Reason: fixed typo
Old May 17, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: None anymore
Interesting, I do that particular flight all the time and have cut it close due to a late inbound with originally only a 55 min connection - they let me board with 5 minutes to spare. That's happened to me at least 3 times now in the past two years.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by chutchins
Does anyone know what time they'll actually close the doors?
10-15 minutes before the actual departure time.

Originally Posted by warrenw
Interesting, I do that particular flight all the time and have cut it close due to a late inbound with originally only a 55 min connection - they let me board with 5 minutes to spare. That's happened to me at least 3 times now in the past two years.
I believe this is what is known as plane hold.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Two years ago I was in First class SFO-LHR and had gone to the GFL. Knew it was 45 minutes until departure and changed into my clothes for the flight, spilt ketchup on myself, cleaned up and headed to the gate to find it empty and hearing the GA to offload my luggage. Informed them I was there and it was 20 min until departure. They said they had been paging me. I said I was in the GFL and my BP had to be scanned to enter the lounge so they knew where I was. Learned International First Class on UA would still get you removed from the flight and am now in the boarding area for international flights 60 min before departure even though most of the time I am waiting around to board with MX delays.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
.....I said I was in the GFL and my BP had to be scanned to enter the lounge so they knew where I was.....
I believe scan at GFL or UC only validates BP. Your whereabouts is not passed over to gate information system.@:-)
Old May 17, 2017, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
I believe scan at GFL or UC only validates BP. Your whereabouts is not passed over to gate information system.@:-)
Although I have often heard announcements for people in the UC at LHR that they need to hot foot it to the gate.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:29 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
FWIW, the receiving GA have visibility to connecting passenger's flight information, and whether or not the other flight was at the gate. Also, that's why they rolled out the Mercedes tarmac transfer for GS and First Class passengers.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Two years ago I was in First class SFO-LHR and had gone to the GFL. Knew it was 45 minutes until departure and changed into my clothes for the flight, spilt ketchup on myself, cleaned up and headed to the gate to find it empty and hearing the GA to offload my luggage. Informed them I was there and it was 20 min until departure. They said they had been paging me. I said I was in the GFL and my BP had to be scanned to enter the lounge so they knew where I was. Learned International First Class on UA would still get you removed from the flight and am now in the boarding area for international flights 60 min before departure even though most of the time I am waiting around to board with MX delays.
Originally Posted by TerryK
On the PMUA system, yes it would track you. I don't think that's the case for SHARES.
Old May 17, 2017, 11:14 am

I have a 55 minute connection in FRA to UA in August so I would be interested in hearing some more data points.
Old May 17, 2017, 11:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PTahCha
FWIW, the receiving GA have visibility to connecting passenger's flight information, and whether or not the other flight was at the gate. ....
Yes, there is more leeway for connecting passengers than originating passagner -- assumed the OP was originating at SFO based on their profile.

Originally Posted by stampchez
I have a 55 minute connection in FRA to UA in August so I would be interested in hearing some more data points.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ional-fra.html is focused on making connections at FRA.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 17, 2017 at 11:31 am Reason: self-merge
Old May 17, 2017, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I always think of the cutoff times as a promise they will hold my seat until that time, but after that all I can do is hope they are able to hold it, but there isn't a guarantee.

Things that could affect whether or not they will hold:

1. number of standbys/oversolds
2. connecting vs. originating - if you are a connecting passenger, they know what time your connecting flight arrived and the gate you are coming from (and if they estimate from the knowledge that you won't make it, they aren't going to wait even then). If you are originating, they have no idea if you are stuck at the end of a long security line or just in line to use the bathroom two gates down.
3. weather - if the captain is telling them the flight has to go or the entire flight is cancelled, they aren't holding the plane. Conversely if there are favorable winds, they might be able to be more generous.
4. Whether the gate is needed for another flight

And the list goes on. Basically do everything you can to be there by the 15/30 minute deadline, or risk losing your flight.
Old May 17, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, there is more leeway for connecting passengers than originating passagner -- assumed the OP was originating at SFO based on their profile.
My original flight was SAN-SFO, connecting to SFO-SAN and I had a 60 minute connection so after walking from the domestic terminal to the UA international terminal I had 45 minutes. Now when I make that connection I never go to the lounge (after this experience in SFO) and am always waiting in the boarding area.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:58 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
I was curious do airlines have a "legal" window of which they won't provide services if you miss a connect?

Also does the window of "legal" connect vary based on airport, airline, and / or season? I assume if you book thru the carrier they only permit their "legal" connect but if you do it thru some third party like Expedia or elsewhere they care little beside the fact ?
Old May 17, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by chipmaster
I was curious do airlines have a "legal" window of which they won't provide services if you miss a connect?

Also does the window of "legal" connect vary based on airport, airline, and / or season? I assume if you book thru the carrier they only permit their "legal" connect but if you do it thru some third party like Expedia or elsewhere they care little beside the fact ?
If you mean a minimum duration of the connection for risk they are willing to accept, then yes, it's called the Minimum Connection Time (MCT). It is published per airport, with overrides for specific carriers and flights, and may update from time to time as schedules are adjusted.

Buying a ticket from any source (agency or airline) will make sure that the MCT is validated along with the rest of the itinerary so regardless of who sells you the ticket it will always meet MCT. The biggest issue is if there is a schedule change after ticketing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.