Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Electronics Ban (if implemented) - Tablet Rentals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronics Ban (if implemented) - Tablet Rentals

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by getagb
That seems reasonable. Another option would be to let pax check one out at one airport and return it at another. Then the FAs don't have to deal with it at all.
There used to be a company that did that with DVD players in the late 90's early 2000's. Can't remember the name but you rented it at one airport and returned it at your destination airport. Was in the United terminal at SJC.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by Baze
There used to be a company that did that with DVD players in the late 90's early 2000's. Can't remember the name but you rented it at one airport and returned it at your destination airport. Was in the United terminal at SJC.

InMotion. I'm pretty sure they are still around, but shifted their business model to electronic sales at airports rather than DVD player rentals. Now they sell me a $25 iPhone charging cable when I forget mine.

Bob
Old May 14, 2017, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Baze
Originally Posted by bpratt
InMotion. I'm pretty sure they are still around, but shifted their business model to electronic sales at airports rather than DVD player rentals.
Maybe we'll see a return of something like this.

While I'm in the minority about this, I don't have a problem using a shared device for my emails. Being that I am strictly a leisure traveler, my main use for a device would be surfing the web, sending a few text messages on the Verizon Messages web page, sending some personal emails, and maybe typing up a trip report about the vacation. The only thing I would really need my MacBook Pro for would be processing pictures of our trip. Again, this is all about entertainment for a strictly leisure traveler. (I am not a movie person and would have trouble watching 5 or 6 movies on a TPAC).

IIRC, don't some of the planes have a port to connect your iPhone to the AVOD and watch it on the AVOD screen?

I definitely see the concern of using these for business purposes and admit that may have to remain confined to a smart phone if this goes through as I don't see a way that UA could handle that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.