Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier Cabin Awards -- Partner availablity seems better that UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus

In the past I have had great luck getting all premium class flights at Saver rates from United out of Las Vegas to Asia and Europe. Now I am finding, and I have lost elite status, that this is pretty much impossible. On my last Saver premium award trip to Europe I had to fly out of SFO and return to YVR (which worked for me for personal reasons but had to buy my own tickets LAS to SFO and YVR to LAS.

It seems like for premium class award flights at Saver rates United is trying really hard to push customers to use partners, e.g., from the West Coast to Japan thru Seoul via Asiana, or to South America thru Panama City via Copa.

I've got a lot of United Miles plus Chase Ultimate Reward points. In the past I would convert the Chase points to United. I am aware that one can convert Ultimate Reward points to other airlines. Are any of you finding that consistently other airlines are offering better premium award redemptions than are available thru United?

Also, can anyone say what level of United elite status opens up more premium Saver awards? Thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:18 pm

Only premium saver to TXL in Sept. is on Turkish thru IST. We are both 1MM gold. Lots of Y saver but only if you connect in Europe.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Platinum
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx

I am 1K and I am pretty unimpressed at saver premium cabin availability. And I concur that often the best for timing is on a *A partner which costs more that UA Polaris.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jonsail
I've got a lot of United Miles plus Chase Ultimate Reward points. In the past I would convert the Chase points to United.
Another reason why award seats are difficult to find.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Given that most *A partners have better long-haul business class products than United, and I live outside the USA anyway (so connecting through the US both ways on award travel is a hassle), I don't mind this at all. Just redeemed direct Air Canada flights to Asia and Europe from YVR in business, no problems here.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I do not think that status has much to do with availability. They just do not release any award seats in Premium to anyone.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jonsail
Also, can anyone say what level of United elite status opens up more premium Saver awards? Thanks.
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Historically, the difference in premium class saver availability (IN vs. I) has not been meaningful.

I say thank goodness several of UA's *A partners (including LH, OS, TK, SK, OZ, BR, and TG) are considerably more generous with award availability. I've never minded paying a bit extra for the partner products.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Just wait until *A partners find out they are being abused by UA: BYE BYE awards!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
1K here, and no doubt that saver awards are much easier on partner airlines than UA. I have also noticed in looking at some routes that they also only open up IN and not I...wonder if there is some connection to the $$$ they receive from CC partnerships.
Old May 1, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by Kacee
Historically, the difference in premium class saver availability (IN vs. I) has not been meaningful.

I say thank goodness several of UA's *A partners (including LH, OS, TK, SK, OZ, BR, and TG) are considerably more generous with award availability. I've never minded paying a bit extra for the partner products.
Well that is deflating.. Another reason why Plat is not that much better than Gold..
Old May 1, 2017, 8:37 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OK, this is what's been going on for several years:

-*A members release award inventory early and periodically. This is offered by UA and costs more than the UA awards.

-UA releases Saver award inventory a few weeks before the flight dates. This way they only offer what is unlikely to sell as revenue seats.

This is common for MP for the last few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.