Search

ITH-EWR: Expect Cancelation?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
ITH-EWR: Expect Cancelation?

Hello fellow FTers,

I'm flying ITH-EWR tomorrow morning (and on to SFO). I see that historically it gets canceled frequently. They're predicting a chance of rain in the morning at flight time. Is it likely they'll cancel it? If so, how far in advance do they usually do so?

Thanks for any insight!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: United MileagePlus 1K
I'm based out of ITH and have lots of experience with its cancellation quirks. Generally the cancellations come down to ITH being low-priority if EWR gets backed up with weather, etc. It's reasonably "easy" to drive from EWR to ITH, so those flights get axed if EWR needs to catch up.

But if the inbound flight makes it in today, your flight will almost definitely make it out tomorrow. The weather is great here today, and doesn't look like that big of a deal in the morning. I'd just pay attention to the "where is this flight coming from?" section of the flight status for your flight tomorrow. If the inbound makes it in okay you're almost certainly fine (barring mechanical problems or anything).
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:32 am

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Cissigys
I'm based out of ITH and have lots of experience with its cancellation quirks. Generally the cancellations come down to ITH being low-priority if EWR gets backed up with weather, etc. It's reasonably "easy" to drive from EWR to ITH, so those flights get axed if EWR needs to catch up.

But if the inbound flight makes it in today, your flight will almost definitely make it out tomorrow. The weather is great here today, and doesn't look like that big of a deal in the morning. I'd just pay attention to the "where is this flight coming from?" section of the flight status for your flight tomorrow. If the inbound makes it in okay you're almost certainly fine (barring mechanical problems or anything).
Second all of the above, as someone else based in ITH (glad to see someone else as well!). United seems to go out of its way to make it difficult to fly them from upstate NY. If it's not EWR weather, then it's the horrible Commutair reliability issues (MX cancels, pilot shortages).

At some point I read we were supposed to get E145s this year (now that BGM and ELM flights were discontinued) but haven't seen that in the schedule yet.

Lastly, to the OP -- have SYR back-up options ready. UA will very quickly transfer you to SYR-(ORD/IAD/EWR)-SFO if you request it, and they can also switch your return flight as well if that's applicable. SYR is about 65 minutes from ITH.

~Adam
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
Thanks folks. Fingers crossed it goes well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.