Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Economy Plus subscriptions
E+ subscriptions are available in various packages
  • Number of travelers who will receive the benefits of the subscription
    • Subscriber-only
    • Subscriber and one companion
    • Subscriber and eight companions
  • Region
    • Continental United States (excluding Alaska and Hawaii)
    • North and Central America
    • Intra-Asia and Oceania (excludes flights from Honolulu to Guam)
    • Global

Key T&Cs
  • Subscriptions are non-refundable and non-transferable.
  • Subscriptions will expire on the date indicated on the term at purchase of the subscription.
  • Economy Plus is offered on select flights operated by United and United Express.
  • Economy Plus seat requests and specific seat assignments are not guaranteed.
  • Customers who are traveling on a Basic Economy ticket are not eligible to receive Economy Plus subscription benefits.
  • Subscriptions may be customized to benefit additional travelers on the same reservation as the subscriber. Travelers not covered by the subscription benefits are subject to additional charges.
  • Flights must be scheduled to depart within the subscription period.
  • The subscriber’s MileagePlus number must be included in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
  • Subscriptions may be upgraded at any time.
  • Upgraded subscriptions are valid for one year from the time of upgrade.
  • Any unused value from the previous subscription will be applied to the upgrade price.
  • Subscriptions can be renewed and can be set-up for auto-renewal

Additional key points
  • E+ subscription allows selection of E+ seats at the time of booking (Same as UA Gold and higher elites -- UA Silver do not have access until check-in)
  • Subscription applies to individual segments, so if a segment of your itinerary is in a covered region, that segment is eligible. Segments outside your purchased region are not eligible.
  • E+ access subscription only applies to UA/UX operated flights. Does not provide any benefit on partner flights.
  • There is no requirement that it must be a UA-issued ticket (016). There are successful reports for bookings on non-016 / UA tickets.
  • E+ subscription applies to award and paid flights (but not Basic Economy fares)
  • Coverage for additional travelers (if purchased) only applies to those on the same PNR {but you can try calling -- might get lucky}
  • An E+ access subscription does not provide other benefits like premier access (check-in, security or boarding)
  • If upgraded, there is no E+ refund for that segment (unlike purchasing individual E+ segment access)
  • The purchase price of the E+ subscription qualifies for PQDs and will credit in the year of the purchaseThe recipient of an Economy Plus gift subscription is given PQD credit for the price of the subscription purchase when the subscription is activated.

What will happen with a reservation that occurs after the E+ subscription expires? Will my E+ seat assignment be changed?
-- The E+ selection can only me made if the travel is within subscription period

Can I have an E+ subscription but credit my flights to a different *A program?
Yes, but it will take some effort. If you remove your MP account from the reservations and there is any change in aircraft you may lose your E+ seat assignment. Best to wait until you have checked-in and have your BP. If you have multiple segments, it can get tedious to switch the program account multiple times. There is a small risk if you have a problem changing accounts, the flight credit might go to UA.

Print Wikipost

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2022, 8:55 am
RNE

Originally Posted by former1k
I am willing to pay for two years at a time to eliminate this problem. Not sure why UA doesn't want to take subscription money upfront...?
I agree that a 2-year subscription option would be nice. A better option would be for UA to accept future seat assignments and if/when subscription renewal doesn't happen, to run a simple program that un-assigns those seats.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
... A better option would be for UA to accept future seat assignments and if/when subscription renewal doesn't happen, to run a simple program that un-assigns those seats.
Next post, UA allowed me to select E+ and then kicked me out

Allowing one to extend present subscription with a early renewal but that locks the price for perhaps too long in UA's mind.
Another approach is to replace and refund the old subscription upon renewing -- limiting the subscription to 1 year in the future , maybe 13 months to allow the present 30 day window. But this is getting too complex and prone to problems.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 9:05 am
RNE

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Next post, UA allowed me to select E+ and then kicked me out.
Yes, like clockwork.

Allowing one to extend present subscription with a early renewal but that locks the price for perhaps too long in UA's mind.
Point taken. Still, UA doesn't usually jack up subscription prices a lot. And I can see how it would be vexing to someone with an E+ subscription to have to sit on their hands while their favorite E+ seat dangles tauntingly out of reach for months.

RNE, sympathizing.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 9:35 am

Has anyone had any issues with Economy Plus Subscriptions and the lack of the Explorer Card Priority Boarding benefit? I hold the United Explorer card with the priority boarding benefit. Today I checked in for a flight and I'm listed as boarding group 4 and not 2 (the Explorer card benefit). I booked this flight with miles and paid for the fees with my Explorer Card. My free bags were noted at check in, but the priority boarding is missing. The only change to my United account that I can think of has been the addition of the Economy Plus subscription. I've called into United Customer service and they are unable to pinpoint the problem or fix the boarding group. Their solution to add boarding group 2 onto my boarding pass is to talk to an agent at check in. I'm hoping this is just a glitch, but I don't want the lack of priority boarding to be an ongoing issue with the Economy Plus Subscription.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 10:11 am
RNE

Originally Posted by jmckissi
Today I checked in for a flight and I'm listed as boarding group 4 and not 2 (the Explorer card benefit).
So, what happened when you got to the gate?
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Med, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
The vast, vast majority of flyers do no such thing. I suppose "many" is correct -- there are certainly plenty of people who do exactly that -- but you're not the common case. (FWIW, you're likely paying a substantial penalty in terms of the fare -- UA very rarely offers its best price immediately. It may be worth your time to check occasionally to see if the fare has dropped).
I think you're right. I aim for the 11-month window mainly because I remember the days when award inventory was released at 11-months, and then nothing after that. Things have improved with regards to inventory so that probably isn't necessary any more. Though now we have the pandemic related monkey wrenches thrown in.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I see that the Wiki describes a situation that can't exist if I correctly understand the answers to my question here. The wiki suggests that one can use an E+ subscription to make a E+ seat assignment past the E+ subscription expiration date. I wish this were true. It would solve my problem.

Originally Posted by wiki
What will happen with a reservation that occurs after the E+ subscription expires? Will my E+ seat assignment be changed?
Once your subscription expires, nothing immediate will happen and your seat assignment will be unchanged. However, if some event occurs (aircraft changes, some schedule changes, some irrops, ...) there may be a seating sweep to reassign seats and at that point, you may lose your E+ seat assignment. The longer the time period between the subscription expiration and the flight departure, the higher the chances of this happen. If a short period of time, there is a reasonable chance you will keep the E+ seat assignment.
Note: This is exactly the same situation with the loss of status and a seat assignment made before the loss of status. Your eligibility at the time of the seating sweep determines the outcome.

I'm a newbie to the E+ subscription, so I hope others will make any needed edits
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:17 pm
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
E Plus Subscription: Too good to be true? Can I refund my current seats?

I'm slowly moving my personal travel to United.

I just booked an itin where I spent $1152 over 3 people for Economy Plus seats.

I just learned about the Economy Plus Subscription program. $1299 for up to 8 companions and for global coverage? If I just take one more trip with United this year, I'm in the black!

Questions:
1. This seems too good to be true. What catch am I missing?

2. If I subscribed now, how would I go about getting a refund for my current Economy Plus seats, and then applying the subscription to it?

Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
If you "just booked" your reservation, that is, within 24 hours, you should cancel the reservation.

Seat fees for Economy Plus seating generally cannot be cancelled, but are refundable if the underlying reservation is cancelled or changed to a different flight.

The refund is processed as soon as the flight takes off without you on it, so you have essentially given UA a loan of $1152 until then.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
If you "just booked" your reservation, that is, within 24 hours, you should cancel the reservation.

Seat fees for Economy Plus seating generally cannot be cancelled, but are refundable if the underlying reservation is cancelled or changed to a different flight.

The refund is processed as soon as the flight takes off without you on it, so you have essentially given UA a loan of $1152 until then.
If it is, in fact, with 24 hours, a full refund should refund the E+ fee immediately also. If not, I'd think a phone call could get that done.

OP: If you were willing to pay $1152 for three E+ seats, then I agree, a subscription is a no-brainer. For clarification: I hope you're aware that E+ is a standard economy seat with extra legroom. It doesn't have any other benefits; the seat's not any wider, it doesn't come with an increased baggage allowance; etc.
dtc and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:18 am
RNE

Originally Posted by dtc
I just learned about the Economy Plus Subscription program. $1299 for up to 8 companions and for global coverage
I don't know the details of your flights, but since you have two companions (not eight!) do the math on buying the 1-companion subscription for $999 and then buying E+ seats for the second companion. Your total outlay may be less than $1299.
dtc likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 12:07 pm

Hi everyone! I'm traveling more for work this year and am looking to get the Economy Plus subscription for $599. Is it unlimited use for the entire subscription year? The agent I chatted with said it is not unlimited; I can use it until I reach the same amount of $599. If that's the case, I'd rather not prepay, but she was not able to point me to that particular restriction in the T&C. Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2022, 12:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sugarb00
... looking to get the Economy Plus subscription for $599. Is it unlimited use for the entire subscription year? The agent I chatted with said it is not unlimited; I can use it until I reach the same amount of $599. I ...
unlimited (but only good for flights taken in the subscription period, not bookings)
UA has a lot of new, green phone agents
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
unlimited (but only good for flights taken in the subscription period, not bookings)
UA has a lot of new, green phone agents
thanks so much! I talked to another agent who told me the complete opposite...been seeing that a lot with United lately 🙁
Old Dec 22, 2022, 8:42 am

I have never purchased an E+ subscription before. For those who have, how does the upgrade process work (I.e. adding more regions)? Is the refund based on usage of the program or is it purely time based? The FAQ does not make it clear, but does indicate that you would receive a refund and then need to restart the sub with the added region.

Last edited by ugfish; Dec 24, 2022 at 5:43 am
Old Jan 18, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Risky business?

A friend asked me if she could book her and me on a flight so that she can get E+ then cancel only my res, and then she'll fly E+ free. Seems like shutdown risk, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.