Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Glass found in the ice cream, so no sundaes in Business. [Some Back: 2 June 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Glass found in the ice cream, so no sundaes in Business. [Some Back: 2 June 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:08 am

Just get little Ben and Jerry's cups with a whole bunch of flavours and no one will care anymore
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:15 am

If it’s glass chipping off the new glasses: Bring back the old glasses, either by converting old-style domestic glasses to international glasses, and serve cookies on the lapsed domestic flights until the issue is resolved.

If there is glass in the ice cream: Obviously, get a new ice cream distributor, and serve a better substitute, like the cheesecake/Key Lime Pie served on Latin America flight, or perhaps Eli’s Tiramisu.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Only for Ex NRT flights? Or no sundae service for all flights?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ryu2
Sundae Sayonara is System-wide.
Until they fix the breaking Sundae glass problem.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
Sundae Sayonara is System-wide.
Until they fix the breaking Sundae glass problem.
I hope they're not using Zodiac as their glassware contractor.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Why don't you all eat cake if you can't have brea.. er ice cream.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I have enjoyed the apple pie bites and those caramel nut brownie things. Hope that the ice cream issue doesn't lead to catering shortages in other desserts...
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I figured it was only a matter of time until they would run into an issue with the bowls. The design was awesome, but I'm sure after repeated use, washing, packing, transport, etc, they would be prone to some sort of breakage. Hopefully they will come up with some solution that isn't just the standard boring sundae bowls; incidentally those sundae bowls came about because they were using the standard BusinessFirst glasses which were breaking because of the same issue.
Agree.

I was amazed how heavy the bowls were.....
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
i was told the same thing HKG ---> EWR last friday when they served small cups of a local ice cream. my understanding, based on proactive flight attendant comments, was that the ice cream and the glass bowl were catered together as one unit from one vendor and that the vendor was haagen dazs.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, KE MM, OZ DP, SQ PPS, Ritz Carlton Gold, IHG Aspire
Originally Posted by Ryu2
Had the same situation on HND-SFO on this past Sunday. Other than the ice cream it was a really great flight. The service by the SF based crew was impeccable.

The ice cream, I believe, was the Japanese brand "Glico".
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
The sundaes are just about the only good food in US premium cabins so I'd be bummed if this happened on my flight.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
The sundaes are just about the only good food in US premium cabins so I'd be bummed if this happened on my flight.
It does not seem to impact the US premium cabins. Sundaes have been served in a different glassware. At least I had my Sundae a few days ago on a PS flight. Others may have updated information.

Edit to include update:

just saw saw a post in the Let's Eat Domestic Thread, and someone had ice cream tub on a regular domestic F cabin instead of Sundae. Not sure it affects PS flights.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Apr 19, 2017 at 6:38 pm
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Wow I'm disappointed.
My last intl trip was back in oct and I skipped the sundae (and all meals) for the first time because I wasn't feeling well.
Today, Flying EWR-LIM (no sundae anyways) then SCL-IAH where I expected one after all this time. Sure I can eat ice cream at home but I want one in the air!! Maybe I will just stay in my seat and refuse the leave the plane until I get one
On the bright side, with such a short flight, maybe I'll ask for the executive option. Usually I dont because I have to wait just as long for the sundae.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
CDG-IAD yesterday, we had a UK brand ice cream with ginger that was quite good. I'll take the macarons from CDG flights any day over ice cream sundae.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:11 pm

I had that Ginger ice cream on Sunday flying FRA > EWR and it was pretty good. I enjoyed my Sundae IAD > LHR two weeks ago very much; I'm sorry to hear that no one is getting a Sundae for the time being.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.