Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA ticket - How to determine / verify luggage allowance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA ticket - How to determine / verify luggage allowance?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I thought TG INTL was that in Royal Silk to/from USA-CA you get 2x32/70 but to Europe you have 40/88 spread out over your bags.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:45 am

I am flying EWR-BOM-MAA on United, and MAA-FRA-EWR on Lufthansa. The entire ticket is UA. I am * Gold. United web site shows that I am allowed 2 bags at 70lbs on outbound, and 1 bag 50 lbs from MAA. Questions:
Doesn't United site recognize my status and make the second bag free for Inbound per Lufthansa policy for Status customers?

Or, for some reason, United is saying that I am allowed only one bag coming from MAA?

Can you guys help me understand what is going to happen in MAA? 2 bags or 1 bag?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by stimpy
OK, I get it now for UA tickets. But I still get the full benefit when booking award tickets on other Star carriers. For instance with TG if you do a normal purchase of a business class international ticket, you do not get 2 x 32KG. But if I buy an award for someone else with MP miles on TG, then they get the 2 x 32KG because I'm a Star Gold member. Or at least that is my recent experience.
Got another MP award ticket for someone which starts with SN, then a couple of UA flights. LYS-BRU-ORD-MSP. This one appears to allow one checked bag, then charges €200 for the second bag. But the way it is printed on the ticket looks weird so I called UA. The UA 1K rep said that I had to ask SN what the actual baggage allowance is because the first flight is on SN. The SN rep I called said that because UA is responsible for most of the trip, then UA will decide what the baggage allowance is.

See why this stuff is so confusing?!?! You really don't know for sure until you show up to the airport.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rrnet
Can you guys help me understand what is going to happen in MAA? 2 bags or 1 bag?
For some reason, the UA website can't properly calculate baggage allowances on LH. You'll get what you are entitled to, which is I believe two bags at 23 kg (assuming you are flying Y).
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Got another MP award ticket for someone which starts with SN, then a couple of UA flights. LYS-BRU-ORD-MSP. This one appears to allow one checked bag, then charges €200 for the second bag. But the way it is printed on the ticket looks weird so I called UA. The UA 1K rep said that I had to ask SN what the actual baggage allowance is because the first flight is on SN. The SN rep I called said that because UA is responsible for most of the trip, then UA will decide what the baggage allowance is.

See why this stuff is so confusing?!?! You really don't know for sure until you show up to the airport.
The SN agent was incorrect. Under US law in place since 2011, the baggage allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment of the ticket applies to all segments of the ticket. Thus, if SN is the marketing carrier of the LYS-BRU segment, its allowance for that segment applies to all segments.

If SN applied MSC rules to US-bound tickets, the MSC rules would apply, but it does not.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
The SN agent was incorrect. Under US law in place since 2011, the baggage allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment of the ticket applies to all segments of the ticket. Thus, if SN is the marketing carrier of the LYS-BRU segment, its allowance for that segment applies to all segments.

If SN applied MSC rules to US-bound tickets, the MSC rules would apply, but it does not.
OK, interesting. But I guess that is only for flights to the US? For the TG flight I was talking about above, which was SIN-BKK-SYD, the marketing carriers rules did not apply. It was UA's rule that ended up being the one that the check in agent followed rather than TG's normal baggage rules. Sorry, but how can anyone expect the average traveling public to know what the baggage rules are for a given award flight? Why can't UA spell it out in a simple easy to read manner on an MP award ticket? Obviously the check in agent sees the actual rules when they check in the bags. Why can't the carrier selling the ticket get access to those rules and display them to the ticketing agents and print them on the actual ticket?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
For some reason, the UA website can't properly calculate baggage allowances on LH. You'll get what you are entitled to, which is I believe two bags at 23 kg (assuming you are flying Y).
Thank you.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, interesting. But I guess that is only for flights to the US? For the TG flight I was talking about above, which was SIN-BKK-SYD, the marketing carriers rules did not apply. It was UA's rule that ended up being the one that the check in agent followed rather than TG's normal baggage rules. Sorry, but how can anyone expect the average traveling public to know what the baggage rules are for a given award flight? Why can't UA spell it out in a simple easy to read manner on an MP award ticket? Obviously the check in agent sees the actual rules when they check in the bags. Why can't the carrier selling the ticket get access to those rules and display them to the ticketing agents and print them on the actual ticket?
It's more complicated for itineraries that don't touch the US, which is why the US DOT put their simpler rule in place originally.

As for your TG experience -- my guess is that TG saw your FF# on the itinerary and therefore gave you TG's *G rules, despite the fact that the traveler wasn't *G. Unless the first segment of the ticket was on UA, I sincerely doubt that you got UA's rules, because there's no reason for them to apply; UA was essentially acting as a travel agent.

The baggage allowances are included on the receipt. Carriers are allowed to be more generous than what's listed, and status/CC-based fee waivers will only apply if you still have the status/CC at the time of travel. However, if you're charged more than what's listed for any reason besides an expiring waiver, you have the right to a refund.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
The baggage allowances are included on the receipt.
The baggage allowances are NOT included on the receipt! That's the whole point of my rant. In some cases, they are vaguely hinted at with confusing text, as in the SN leading itin. In other cases, like TG, the baggage allowances are not mentioned at all in the receipt.

Again, I'm talking about tickets purchased with UA miles that either include other Star carriers, or are entirely on other Star carriers.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:28 pm

I am flying EWR-BOM-MAA on United, and MAA-FRA-EWR on Lufthansa. The entire ticket is UA. I am * Gold. United web site shows that I am allowed 2 bags at 70lbs on outbound, and 1 bag 50 lbs from MAA. Questions:
Doesn't United site recognize my status and make the second bag free for Inbound per Lufthansa policy for Status customers?

Or, for some reason, United is saying that I am allowed only one bag coming from MAA?

Called United Premier line, and she said that it is the operating carrier at the origin of the inbound determines the baggage policy (in this case Lufthansa) at MAA, and UA policy kicks in for the outbound at EWR. Then I called Lufthansa, and they said that it is UA ticket and therefore they follow UA rules which is 1 bag, and with the * Gold Status, I can bring in another bag. But, nowhere in the Lufthansa system, there is any record of my * Gold Status!!!

What a conflicting answers from the airlines!!!!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The baggage allowances are NOT included on the receipt! That's the whole point of my rant. In some cases, they are vaguely hinted at with confusing text, as in the SN leading itin. In other cases, like TG, the baggage allowances are not mentioned at all in the receipt.

Again, I'm talking about tickets purchased with UA miles that either include other Star carriers, or are entirely on other Star carriers.
The baggage allowances are absolutely on the receipt. At least, they're supposed to be. I have two such itineraries booked. I just clicked "View/Email Receipt" on each of them, and they both show the baggage fees, along with text. Here's an example from a TG / UA / TG itinerary, using the Excursionist Perk:

In compliance with U.S. Department of Transportation regulations, checked baggage policies for your entire itinerary are determined by Thai Airways. Visit united.com/baggage for more information.
Immediately after this text, it has a table that shows "Origin and destination for checked baggage" and the applicable fee.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There is no point in calling UA to ask about your allowance on an LH flight. Unless you are looking for incorrect/conflicting answers.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Called United Premier line, and she said that it is the operating carrier at the origin of the inbound determines the baggage policy (in this case Lufthansa) at MAA, and UA policy kicks in for the outbound at EWR. Then I called Lufthansa, and they said that it is UA ticket and therefore they follow UA rules which is 1 bag, and with the * Gold Status, I can bring in another bag. But, nowhere in the Lufthansa system, there is any record of my * Gold Status!!!

as an itinerary to/from the US, its based on the marketing carrier of the first flight’s bag policy — for the whole itinerary. Assuming this is booked on a single itinerary, UAs regular bag policy applies to both the outbound and return. On the return, You do lose the UA premier bag waivers since you are not checking in with UA (including weight limit goes down to 50lbs), but gain the extra bag per rules for *G
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
The baggage allowances are absolutely on the receipt. At least, they're supposed to be.
Look below and see if you can find the baggage allowances. This is the entire receipt with only the personal information removed...

========================================

Traveler

eTicket Number

Frequent FlyerNumber

Seats

---/---

FLIGHT INFORMATION
Day, Date Flight Class Departure City and Time Arrival City and Time Aircraft Meal
Thu, 08JUN17

TG404

I

SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE
(SIN) 12:25 PM
BANGKOK, THAILAND
(BKK) 1:45 PM

777-300

Flight operated by THAI AIRWAYS.
Thu, 08JUN17 TG475 I BANGKOK, THAILAND
(BKK) 7:20 PM SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
(SYD) 7:20 AM (09JUN) 747-200
Flight operated by THAI AIRWAYS.

FARE INFORMATION

Fare Breakdown
Airfare:0.00USD
Singapore Passenger Security Service Charge: 5.80
Singapore Aviation Levy: 4.40
Singapore Passenger Service Charge: 14.40
Thailand Processing User Charge: 1.00
Thailand International Departure Fee: 0.40
Australia Passenger Service Charge: 21.80
Per Person Total: 47.80USD
eTicket Total: 47.80USD
MileagePlus Account Debited:
XXX
Form of Payment:
VISA
Last Four Digits XXX
MileagePlus Miles Debited/
Award Used:
30000/S30K
The airfare you paid on this itinerary totals: 0.00 USD
The taxes, fees, and surcharges paid total: 47.80 USD
Award Rules:
All changes must be made prior to the departure date, or the ticket has no value.
Add Collect: An additional amount for the difference in fare was charged to VISA XXX on Sunday, June 04, 2017. $0.50 USD per ticket for an additional total of $0.50 USD was collected.

Important Information about MileagePlus Earning

Accruals vary based on the terms and conditions of the traveler’s frequent flyer program, the traveler’s frequent flyer status and the itinerary selected. United MileagePlus® mileage accrual is subject to the rules of the MileagePlus program
Once travel has started, accruals will no longer display. You can view your MileagePlus account for posted accrual
You can earn up to 75,000 award miles per ticket. The 75,000 award miles cap may be applied to your posted flight activity in an order different than shown
PQD are a Premier status requirement for members in the U.S. only.
Accrual is only displayed for MileagePlus members who choose to accrue to their MileagePlus account.
MileagePlus International eTicket Reminders

Check-in Requirement - Bags must be checked and boarding passes obtained at least 60 minutes prior to scheduled departure. Baggage will not be accepted and advance seat assignments may be canceled if this condition is not met.
Boarding Requirement - Passengers must be prepared to board at the departure gate with their boarding pass at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure.
Failure to meet the Boarding Requirements may result in cancellation of reservations, denied boarding, removal of checked baggage from the aircraft and loss of eligibility for denied boarding compensation.
Bring your boarding pass or this eTicket Receipt along with photo identification to the airport
The FAA now restricts carry-on baggage to one bag plus one personal item (purse, briefcase, laptop computer, etc.) per passenger. The fare rules for your ticket may restrict your carry-on baggage allowance even further.
For up to the minute flight information, sign-up for our Flight Status Updates or call 1-800-824-6200; in Spanish 1-800-426-5561.
If flight segments are not flown in order, your reservation will be cancelled. Rebooking will be subject to the fare rules governing your ticket.
For the most current status of your reservation, go to our Flight Status page.
Your eTicket is non transferable and valid for 1 year from the issue date unless otherwise noted in the fare rules.
Award travel is subject to the terms and conditions of the MileagePlus program.
Redeposit or change fees apply for award travel based on Premier level. Please go to united.com or call 1-800-UNITED-1 for details.
International taxes and fees may be collected at your departure airport.
Customer Care Contact Information

We welcome your compliments, comments or complaints regarding United or a United travel experience.

You may contact us using our Customer Care form

Refunds Within 24 Hours

When you book and ticket a reservation through united.com, the United mobile app, the United Customer Contact Center, at our ticket counters or city ticket offices, or if you
use MileagePlus® miles to book an award ticket, we will allow you to cancel the ticketed reservation without penalty and receive a 100 percent refund of the ticket price
to the original form of payment if you cancel the reservation within 24 hours of purchase and if the reservation is made one week or more prior to scheduled flight departure.
Hazardous materials

Federal law forbids the carriage of hazardous materials on board aircraft in your luggage or on your person. A violation can result in five years imprisonment and penalties of $250,000 or more (49 U.S.C. 5124).

Hazardous materials include explosives, compressed gases, flammable liquids and solids, oxidizers, poisons, corrosives and radioactive materials. Common examples of hazardous materials/dangerous goods

include spare or loose lithium batteries, fireworks, strike-anywhere matches, aerosols, pesticides, bleach and corrosive materials.
Additional information can be found on:

united.com restricted items page
FAA website Pack Safe page
TSA website Prohibited Items page
Proud Member of Star Alliance

We are making connections so you make yours. You can earn and redeem miles on 28 member airlines offering over 18,000 daily flights to more than 1,300 destinations worldwide.
Go to www.staralliance.com to find out more. You’ve earned it.
IMPORTANT CONSUMER NOTICES
Notice of Baggage Liability Limitations - For domestic travel between points within the United States (except for domestic portions of international journeys), United’s liability for loss of, damage to, or delay in delivery of a customer’s checked baggage is limited to $3,500 per ticketed customer unless a higher value is declared in advance and additional charges are paid (not applicable to wheelchairs or other assistive devices). For such travel, United assumes no liability for high value, fragile, perishable, or otherwise excluded items; excess valuation may not be declared on certain types of valuable articles. Further information may be obtained from the carrier. For international travel governed by the Warsaw Convention (including the domestic portions of the trip), maximum liability is approximately 640 USD per bag for checked baggage, and 400 USD per passenger for unchecked baggage. For international travel governed by the Montreal Convention (including the domestic portions of the trip), maximum liability is 1,131 SDRs per passenger for baggage, whether checked or unchecked. For baggage lost, delayed, or damaged in connection with domestic travel, United requires that customers provide preliminary notice within 24 hours after arrival of the flight on which the baggage was or was to be transported and submit a written claim within 45 days of the flight. For baggage damaged or delayed in connection with most international travel (including domestic portions of international journeys), the Montreal Convention and United require customers to provide carriers written notice as follows: (a) for damaged baggage, within seven days from the date of receipt of the damaged baggage; (b) for delayed baggage, within 21 days from the date the baggage should have been returned to the customer. Please refer to Rule 28 of United’s Contract of Carriage for important information relating to baggage and other limitations of liability.
Notice of Incorporated Terms - Transportation is subject to the terms and conditions of United’s Contract of Carriage, which are incorporated herein by reference. Incorporated terms may include, but are not limited to: 1. Limits on liability for personal injury or death of the customer, and for loss, damage, or delay of goods and baggage, including high value, fragile, perishable, or otherwise excluded items. 2. Claims restrictions, including time periods within which customers must file a claim or bring an action against the carrier. 3. Rights of the carrier to change terms of the contract. 4. Rules about reconfirmation of reservations, check-in times, and refusal to carry. 5. Rights of the carrier and limits on liability for delay or failure to perform service, including schedule changes, substitution of an alternate air carrier or aircraft, and rerouting. The full text of United’s Contract of Carriage is available at united.com or you may request a copy at any United ticket counter. Passengers have the right, upon request at any location where United’s tickets are sold within the United States, to receive free of charge by mail or other delivery service the full text of United’s Contract of Carriage.
Notice of Certain Terms - If you have purchased a restricted ticket, depending on the rules applicable to the fare paid, one or more restrictions including, but not limited to, the following may apply to your travel: (1) the ticket may not be refundable but can be exchanged for a fee for another restricted fare ticket meeting all the rules/restrictions of the original ticket (including the payment of any difference in fares); (2) a fee may apply for changing/canceling reservations; or (3) select tickets may not be eligible for refunds or changes even for a fee; (4) select tickets have no residual value and cannot be applied towards the purchase of future travel; or (5) travel may be restricted to specific flights and/ or times and a minimum and/or maximum stay may be required. United reserves the right to refuse carriage to any person who has acquired a ticket in violation of any United tariffs, rules, or regulations, or in violation of any applicable national, federal, state, or local law, order, regulation, or ordinance. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you are entitled to a full refund if you cancel a ticket purchased at least a week prior to departure within 24 hours of purchase.
Notice of Boarding Times - For Domestic flights, customers must be at the boarding gate at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure. For International flights, customers must be at the boarding gate at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure. The time limits provided by United in this Notice are minimum time requirements. Customer and baggage processing times may differ from airport to airport. Please visit united.com for information regarding airport-specific boarding times. It is the customer’s responsibility to arrive at the airport with enough time to complete check-in, baggage, and security screening processes within these minimum time limits. Please be sure to check flight information monitors for the correct boarding gate and the departure time of your flight. Failure to be at the boarding gate by the required time could result in the loss of your seat without compensation, regardless of whether you are already checked in or have a confirmed seat and boarding pass.
Advice to International Passengers on Carrier Liability - Passengers on a journey involving an ultimate destination or a stop in a country other than the country of departure are advised that international treaties known as the Montreal Convention, or its predecessor, the Warsaw Convention, including its amendments, may apply to the entire journey, including any portion thereof within a country. For such passengers, the treaty, including contracts of carriage embodied in applicable tariffs, governs, and may limit the liability of the Carrier in respect of death or injury to passengers, and for destruction or loss of, or damage to, baggage, and for delay of passengers and baggage.
Notice - Overbooking of Flights - Airline flights may be overbooked, and there is a slight chance that a seat will not be available on a flight for which a person has a confirmed reservation. If the flight is overbooked, no one will be denied a seat until airline personnel first ask for volunteers willing to give up their reservation in exchange for compensation of the airline’s choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, the airline will deny boarding to other persons in accordance with its particular boarding priority. With few exceptions, including failure to comply with the carrier’s check-in deadlines, which are available upon request from the air carrier, persons, denied boarding involuntarily are entitled to compensation. The complete rules for the payment of compensation and each airline’s boarding priorities are available at all airport ticket counters and boarding locations. Some airlines do not apply these consumer protections to travel from some foreign countries, although other consumer protections may be available. Check with your airline or your travel agent.
Thank you for choosing United Airlines
united.com
Legal Notices. Privacy Policy
Copyright © {0} United Airlines, Inc. All rights reserved.
Please do not reply to this message using the " reply " address.
For assistance, please contact United Airlines via telephone or via e-mail.2017
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now here is baggage allowance on the receipt from the other itin I was talking about, LYS-BRU-ORD-MSP. You can see that it is rather less than explicit. As a frequent flyer I can guess that it is first piece free, second piece €200. But I'm not 100% sure and of course a casual flier wouldn't know what to make of this. And the SN phone reps state that UA sets the baggage allowance for this itinerary. Maybe they are wrong, but the result is that the traveler has no idea what the baggage allowance truly is until they arrive at airport check in.

Baggage fees are per traveler

In compliance with U.S. Department of Transportation regulations, checked baggage policies for your entire itinerary are determined by Brussels Airlines. Visit united.com/baggage for more information.

Origin and destination for checked baggage 1st bag 2nd bag
Maximum weight and dimensions per piece of baggage
Max wt / dim per piece
10/10/2017 Lyon, France (LYS) to Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (MSP) 0.00 EUR 200.00 EUR 50.0lbs (23.0kg) - 62.0in (158.0cm)

Last edited by stimpy; Oct 12, 2017 at 1:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.