Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA ticket - How to determine / verify luggage allowance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA ticket - How to determine / verify luggage allowance?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
1K baggage allowance for UA TATL connecting to LH?

So I'm travelling on J SFO-DXB with layover in FRA. I'm 1K and the baggage calculator shows me I'm only allowed two pieces at 50 pounds each? Is this a mistake? This is the allowance travelling on LH as a kettle for the same destination. Anyone with experience, your input would be much appreciated.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
So I'm travelling on J SFO-DXB with layover in FRA. I'm 1K and the baggage calculator shows me I'm only allowed two pieces at 50 pounds each? Is this a mistake? This is the allowance travelling on LH as a kettle for the same destination. Anyone with experience, your input would be much appreciated.
You get the Star Alliance luggage allowance for a *G traveling in J on LH, not the 1K allowance since you are checking in with LH and not UA (I'm assuming your SFO-FRA flight is LH).

I don't know what the *A *G J allowance is offhand.

According to Star Alliance, the minimum extra baggage beyond the carrier's normal allocation for a *G is "an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies".

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 3, 2016 at 10:13 am
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You get the Star Alliance luggage allowance for a *G traveling in J on LH, not the 1K allowance since you are checking in with LH and not UA (I'm assuming your SFO-FRA flight is LH).

I don't know what the *A *G J allowance is offhand.

According to Star Alliance, the minimum extra baggage beyond the carrier's normal allocation for a *G is "an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies".
thats the thing. My SFO Fra is on UA!! That's why I'm so confused!
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
thats the thing. My SFO Fra is on UA!! That's why I'm so confused!
Pretty clear this is an error. UA @ SFO you will get your full 1K baggage allowance.

How are you using the bag calculator?
When using "Any flights" and entering SFO-DXB, business, 1K --> it reports 3x70 for me.
Are you using "My Flights" and are logged in?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - What do you mean by "layover?" There is no such thing. You are either connecting or stopping over. If the former, you are on one ticket and you will check your bags at SFO with UA and reclaim them at DXB. If you are stopping over at FRA (24+ hours and you are on one ticket, you should still have the same allowance as SFO-FRA, but not the 1K bag waiver). If you are on separate tickets, you are starting a new journey at FRA and you receive the *G allowance on LH.

Presuming that you are on a single ticket and connecting at FRA, your allowance should be printed on your e-ticket receipt. What does it say? If it is anything other than 3 x 70, call UA now and get it straightened out. What you see on your e-ticket receipt is what the check-in agent will see on the monitor. While it can certainly be straightened out, that takes time. Why allow extra time at the airport, when you can take care of it now?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM
A late response to jason8612. Baggage allowances might, in practice, depend on the agent. Per #17, there's some ambiguity and confusion (both on flyertalk and, potentially, for the agent) when checking in with a different airline than the main one. In my case, my wife and I (both 1K's), checked in at the Lufthansa terminal in FCO to fly FCO-FRA (coach). We were FRA-SFO in business on UA. The LH agent allowed us to check in 3 x 32kg each without blinking.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Luggage allowance

Hi,

I have a LAX-LHR flight in Economy and I have *G status (with TK). What is my baggage allowance, please?

Thank you
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
2 pieces, 50 pounds
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by zeer0
2 pieces, 50 pounds
Thank you!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Just for future, UA has a pretty good, IME, bag allowance calculator on their website. Posting on my phone, so difficult to post a link, but it allows you to type in your PNR, and assuming yourTK number is on the reservation, should show you your allowance, including the part you get as a *G. There's also an option to type in your origin/destination, as well as UA/* status and it should give you the info. as well.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Just for future, UA has a pretty good, IME, bag allowance calculator on their website. Posting on my phone, so difficult to post a link, but it allows you to type in your PNR, and assuming yourTK number is on the reservation, should show you your allowance, including the part you get as a *G. There's also an option to type in your origin/destination, as well as UA/* status and it should give you the info. as well.
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...lServices.aspx
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm rather confused about buying award tickets for family and friends as a 1K. I buy a lot of award tickets using MP on other Star carriers such as TG and SN, etc. And my friends and family always get two 32Kg bags even when the airline's own rules offer less.

But now I just bought a domestic UA ticket for someone and it seems they have to pay for checking even one bag? Is that correct?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I believe that "inherited status" from someone booking an MP award with their miles is no longer a thing.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I believe that "inherited status" from someone booking an MP award with their miles is no longer a thing.
Yes, this ended over a year ago, probably a year and a half (and yeah, there was a big bruhaha on it on FT, even though applying standards of a traveler not an itinerary makes absolutely zero sense, and was never a published benefit).

It is correct - if you are a 1k and use your miles to book an award ticket for soemone else who has no status, the domestic bag allowance is zero. You still do benefit from having any fees for change/cancel on your ticket based on your status.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Yes, this ended over a year ago, probably a year and a half (and yeah, there was a big bruhaha on it on FT, even though applying standards of a traveler not an itinerary makes absolutely zero sense, and was never a published benefit).

It is correct - if you are a 1k and use your miles to book an award ticket for soemone else who has no status, the domestic bag allowance is zero. You still do benefit from having any fees for change/cancel on your ticket based on your status.
OK, I get it now for UA tickets. But I still get the full benefit when booking award tickets on other Star carriers. For instance with TG if you do a normal purchase of a business class international ticket, you do not get 2 x 32KG. But if I buy an award for someone else with MP miles on TG, then they get the 2 x 32KG because I'm a Star Gold member. Or at least that is my recent experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.