Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines to refund fares to all Flight 3411 passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines to refund fares to all Flight 3411 passengers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Not that doing so might not succeed, but the problem with trying that would be this: If they just "auto-refund" the pax to their CCs the pax would be able to counter that they never consented to recieve the refund or consciously gave any consideration to United for the refund and that under the law there was no contract, only a gift.
Agreed if United indeed does an automatic refund. But if UA doesn't, there is certainly an opportunity for shenanigans.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Management screwed up and shareholders have to pay for it. They should duct that dumb [text deleted per Rule 16] Oscar's pay to pay for the refund.

Last edited by Pat89339; Apr 14, 2017 at 9:05 pm Reason: TOS 16
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
I read someplace (and I have no proof) that a number of passengers have already contacted an attorney about filing a class-action lawsuit because they were "traumatized" by the events. This might be a preemptive strike against that, because anyone who accepts anything from UA will likely be not allowed to sue. (Please don't shoot the messenger)

That said, the passengers got to their destination over two hours late. Are they eligible for standard compensation? How would accepting Federally mandated compensation affect the ability to sue?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Annerk
I read someplace (and I have no proof) that a number of passengers have already contacted an attorney about filing a class-action lawsuit because they were "traumatized" by the events. This might be a preemptive strike against that, because anyone who accepts anything from UA will likely be not allowed to sue. (Please don't shoot the messenger)

That said, the passengers got to their destination over two hours late. Are they eligible for standard compensation? How would accepting Federally mandated compensation affect the ability to sue?
What Federally mandated compensation is required for a 2 hour delay?

While the passengers were certainly traumatized, they'll see nothing in a class action.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by fly18725
What Federally mandated compensation is required for a 2 hour delay?

While the passengers were certainly traumatized, they'll see nothing in a class action.
Sorry, my mistake, it's only for three hours. Still many felt traumatized seeing a man's teeth knocked out after he was manhandled out of his seat.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
I read someplace (and I have no proof) that a number of passengers have already contacted an attorney about filing a class-action lawsuit because they were "traumatized" by the events.

Absolutely ridiculous if true.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:02 am

Sorry, my mistake, it's only for three hours. Still many felt traumatized seeing a man's teeth knocked out after he was manhandled out of his seat.
The situation is why a full refund is appropriate.

Suing for emotional trauma because you observed the situation is absurd.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by rapidex
Because people with a fully refundable/changeable ticket can cancel at the last minute for a full refund or change.The seat then goes out empty and unsold if there are no standby passengers.
Or I could book this UA flight using my LM miles, not show up and get a refund from Lifemiles ( less a small fee) even after the flight has left even if I did not even bother to inform LM or UA that I would not be taking this flight
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
As speculated, reports are that the offers of compensation had a string attached that accepting the compensation would require them to waive their right to sue.

FWIW, it seems likely that given how things are going for United, they'd want to settle with the pax if a suit is filed. They might win, but the whole swirl around this seems likely to mean that they'd have to do so on appeal and show that the underlying mess wasn't a CoC violation.

There's also a chance that, given that they were trying to spin this as a goodwill gesture, a jury could take this as an admission of guilt (or at least as looking sleazy).
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Or I could book this UA flight using my LM miles, not show up and get a refund from Lifemiles ( less a small fee) even after the flight has left even if I did not even bother to inform LM or UA that I would not be taking this flight
That too^
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by rapidex
Because people with a fully refundable/changeable ticket can cancel at the last minute for a full refund or change.The seat then goes out empty and unsold if there are no standby passengers.
The key words there is "standby", though: Not confirmed ticketed passengers. To be fair, the "basic economy" type tickets that airlines are floating now seem to be a way to handle this in the longer run: I fully expect to see, rather than a "pay to not risk IDB" model (that's generally called "book into a premium cabin") a "get a discount but be first in line for IDB". As long as it's a consciously segmented product, I suspect that would be upheld to a pretty broad extent.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
As speculated, reports are that the offers of compensation had a string attached that accepting the compensation would require them to waive their right to sue.
CNN has reported (based on the e-mail UA sent passengers), that it's not a refund, but a $500 UA voucher, and that UA is requiring a full release in exchange.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
CNN has reported (based on the e-mail UA sent passengers), that it's not a refund, but a $500 UA voucher, and that UA is requiring a full release in exchange.
So $125 for a release? Cheap and insulting as usual. Hope nobody takes up the offer.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
There's no federally mandated compensation to the pax for a 3h delay.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by 24left
I posted this 5 hours ago in the other thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28169064-post273.html
just saying....
I posted this story yesterday in the main thread to help cut down on the # of UA3411 related threads; obviously to no avail. I tried

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.