Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United passenger threatened with handcuffs to make room for 'higher-priority' travele

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United passenger threatened with handcuffs to make room for 'higher-priority' travele

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:06 pm

Also lol at the handcuffs thing. Here's an easy trick to get threatened with handcuffs.

(1) Go to a business.
(2) Get into a disagreement with the owner of the business.
(3) Refuse to back down or leave.

There you go. Wasn't so hard, was it? In fact, I know some corner shops where you hope they call the cops rather than take things into their own hands.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Also lol at the handcuffs thing. Here's an easy trick to get threatened with handcuffs.

(1) Go to a business.
(2) Get into a disagreement with the owner of the business.
(3) Refuse to back down or leave.

There you go. Wasn't so hard, was it? In fact, I know some corner shops where you hope they call the cops rather than take things into their own hands.
You keep beating the "United was legally right to remove the passenger" drum. How's that working out for the airline's reputation amongst the public? Investors?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by naumank
Prior to the merger, I got 9K miles deposited after they changed an aircraft to TED which had no first class. So I was downgraded but I didn't complain. GS gave me the miles preemptively.

After the merger, Smisek ran United into the ground and Munoz was complicit as a director on the board. I don't think United can win back customers' trust without heads rolling . Starting with Munoz and the BoD.
I had a similar annoyance turned to positive. After a TED swap on a bad weather day, each F pax was called to podium well before boarding. The situation was calmly explained. I was offered an F seat on the next flight (declined as weather was deteriorating) and I may not be remembering but thought I got miles and a voucher and an Econ plus seat. I do remember getting a sincere apology at gate and onboard with a comped snack box and drink...no one made a fuss...the customer service was expected and well thought.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
You keep beating the "United was legally right to remove the passenger" drum. How's that working out for the airline's reputation amongst the public? Investors?
That's their issue. I give my own opinion and don't speak for United Airlines.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
This guy wanted a full fare refund plus a $25,000 donation to charity of his choice for a downgrade due to aircraft swap. Are you kidding me??? I fail to see the injustice here.

This is nothing like dragging a passenger off the plane to make way for deadheading employees.
I agree this is nothing like it. But this guy isn't a nobody. He'll find a way to make United pay. Rich important people don't like being told they're unimportant.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Rich important people don't like being told they're unimportant.
Yup. That's what this is really about - guy was told the seat goes to someone with higher status.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77
this was rich:

A United employee, responding to Fearns’ complaint that he shouldn’t have to miss the flight, compromised by downgrading him to economy class and placing him in the middle seat between a married couple who were in the midst of a nasty fight and refused to be seated next to each other.

“They argued the whole way back,” Fearns recalled. “Nearly six hours. It was a lot of fun.”
Fearns should have said he was uncomfortable and thought the couple would cause an in-flight incident so they'd be removed.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by HonestABE
Any of us who have flown more than a few flights know all about equipment swaps, seat reassignments and downgrades. Most of the time, my feeling is, "Suck it up, cupcake" as there is little point in making a fuss.

OTOH, last summer, my wife and I were returning from CDG on Y award tix after celebrating our 40th anniversary. At check-in, the CSR asked why we had been in Paris. We told her about our anniversary. She smiled broadly and wished us well.

When we arrived at the gate for boarding, the same CSR was working the gate. She signaled me to come to the desk, and handed me two BPs in C. It was a very pleasant flight back across the pond, and I made sure to send a letter to UA complimenting the GA for service above and beyond.
Notice how your story, and someone else who got upgraded on a flight to Asia, originated outside of the US? Did you notice that many agents working outside the US may actually live outside the US, maybe even be a race that is not commonly present in the US? Maybe have different culture and values?
Did you ever think there might be an issue with agents in the US?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by WorldLux
The fact that there are downgrades and IDB is IMO not the problem. It's the "obey or you'll be in cuffs" policy that seems to be applied systemwide. I get that even large entities can't plan everything to perfection and these thing happen, but if they do, then I expect the airline to do their best, not threaten customers with arrest...
This. 1000% this.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
That's their issue. I give my own opinion and don't speak for United Airlines.
I didn't say you did. Just pointing out your position isn't all that popular at the moment.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
I didn't say you did. Just pointing out your position isn't all that popular at the moment.
Just because someone has an opinion that differs from yours, doesn't automatically make it wrong.

It's just different.

edit: the quote was edited but its ok
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by c2cflyer
Just because someone has an opinion that differs from yours, doesn't automatically make it wrong.

It's just different.

edit: the quote was edited but its ok
Where did I say his/her opinion was wrong? Oh, that's right, I didn't.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: ba silver
The DOT needs to get involved in situations like this. A more consumer friendly version of EU-style laws would put airlines in their place, but unlike in Europe airlines should not be on the hook if the downgrade is the result of a last minute swap or FAM. Airlines should also be forced to offer re-booking on any airline. To repeat what others are saying if I book and pay for a suite in a hotel I doubt I would be dragged out of my room if an elite member shows up; if I buy a premium seat at a sporting event I doubt I would be relocated to a bad seat to accommodate a player's family.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by HomerJay
United is clearly in crisis mode and only now is it starting to dawn on them that the culture of abuse and deceit - which was the hallmark of the former CEO - has metastasized through the corporation and now it is the paying customers who are the subject of the lies and threats and abuse.
The customer-as-enemy culture has been building for decades at UA and will not be unwound overnight, and certainly not by leaders who encouraged it -- or were complicit with those who did -- in the first place.

Last edited by BearX220; Apr 11, 2017 at 8:00 pm
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
The DOT needs to get involved in situations like this. A more consumer friendly version of EU-style laws would put airlines in their place, but unlike in Europe airlines should not be on the hook if the downgrade is the result of a last minute swap or FAM. Airlines should also be forced to offer re-booking on any airline.
UA's policy is to give a $500 e-cert for a downgrade on a flight of this length, plus a refund of the fare differential from F to Y. Which is exactly what they gave the "victim" here. This could be more or less than what would be due under EU261, depending on the fare paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.