Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Has no F and smaller J cabins led to higher fares?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has no F and smaller J cabins led to higher fares?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by jsloan
Fares are filed by people. Most (not all) inventory adjustments are done by computer. Yes, the analysts control some of the inputs, but there's a ton of automated data mining, and associated machine learning, involved as well. For all we know, UA could have been testing out a new algorithm on that particular day and route.

You've got my argument backwards. By offering cheap seats on FLL-EWR, they would have deprived themselves of the opportunity to sell, e.g., FLL-LHR; they may have elected to restrict the discount inventory on FLL-EWR in order to keep inventory on FLL-EWR available for higher-margin connecting fares. And, yes, I'm aware that, from the perspective of the inventory they publish to the GDSes, they can offer different availability on FLL-EWR and FLL-EWR-LHR. But they still have to have a seat in which to put the passenger.

Keep in mind -- I'm not saying that they successfully maximized their profit on that flight. I'm just saying it's a more complicated picture than you're painting.

I didn't know when your flight had been. There was a series of east-coast storms a few weeks back that offered waivers on EWR flights. One of the things they do when they're expecting bad weather is restrict discount inventory in order to save seats for displaced passengers.

I doubt this discussion is going to get us anywhere. You may be right; UA may have hired a group of people who don't know what they're doing, and they may have a management team in place who doesn't recognize this fact. I will continue to believe, to the contrary, that RM is an inexact science, and that I don't have as much data at my disposal as UA does.
Do you work for United Airlines to suggest that the increasingly underachieving carrier was simply trying a new algorithm? This would contradict their strategy for the past 5-7 years of just trying to copy whatever DL does, though of course they are too lazy to do it properly so they just take whatever pieces fit for them. The way I see it, if UA doesn't even have the brains to come up with a decent uniform for its employees (the New York Times even mocked UA's lack of vision and creativity previously), testing a new algorithm is out of the question.

Back to our PRM discussion, it is the responsibility of each analyst or group of analysts to monitor their markets' performance and adjust the links/influences in the RM system accordingly. Whilst major sporting events like SuperBowl are easier to predict, a computer is not going to know if, for example, a large teachers' conference changed from year to year, meaning that if the analyst doesn't make the proper adjustments, the computer is going to go by the previous year's performance. Analysts are also expected to override the system as needed... if Network Planning forces you to have an extra flight you didn't have same point in time last year, a good analyst would carefully monitor it and don't just leave it to the RM system to decide.

I have suffered the extreme displeasure of meeting UA' analysts at conferences as well as HR-related events. However, don't take my word for it... do a search on linkedin and you will see that most analysts don't last in UA's PRM for more than a year. The really well-connected ones get promoted to senior manager or director without mastering basic, basic PRM concepts and without even knowing how to manage teams since they never had direct reports before. UA continues to worsen as time goes by, but ultimately, it is their fault for not having common sense. They might as well sell themselves to Spirit and call it a day.

RM requires a careful balance and should be treated as both an art (requiring creativity) and a science (due to its highly predictive nature). I do agree with you that in theory UA should have a lot more data than any of us about its flights, then again if its staff is untalented and careless, having the data won't do much. I still cannot believe Jeff Smisek openly admitted that UA had not performed as well as its competitors due to inaccurate forecasting.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
Do you work for United Airlines to suggest that the increasingly underachieving carrier was simply trying a new algorithm?
LOL I do not. Just offering possibilities...

Back to our PRM discussion, it is the responsibility of each analyst or group of analysts to monitor their markets' performance and adjust the links/influences in the RM system accordingly. Whilst major sporting events like SuperBowl are easier to predict, a computer is not going to know if, for example, a large teachers' conference changed from year to year, meaning that if the analyst doesn't make the proper adjustments, the computer is going to go by the previous year's performance. Analysts are also expected to override the system as needed... if Network Planning forces you to have an extra flight you didn't have same point in time last year, a good analyst would carefully monitor it and don't just leave it to the RM system to decide.
That makes perfect sense at a macro level; if, e.g., revenue is down markedly for a given market or route, I'd want to know why. I'm not convinced this works at a micro level, due to the massive number of variables that would go into making selections on any given route. I will concede that there was a mismatch between the expected booking curve and the actuals on the flight you mentioned. I'd need to see it happen much more frequently to decide that it was a systemic failure, but, then, I've never met any of UA's back-office staff. :-)

However, don't take my word for it... do a search on linkedin and you will see that most analysts don't last in UA's PRM for more than a year. The really well-connected ones get promoted to senior manager or director without mastering basic, basic PRM concepts and without even knowing how to manage teams since they never had direct reports before.
OK -- but surely these newly-promoted managers report to someone else. Eventually, if the pricing power is as bad as you say -- especially considering the built-in advantages of UA's route network and hub structure -- someone in the chain's got to notice. :-)

RM requires a careful balance and should be treated as both an art (requiring creativity) and a science (due to its highly predictive nature). I do agree with you that in theory UA should have a lot more data than any of us about its flights, then again if its staff is untalented and careless, having the data won't do much. I still cannot believe Jeff Smisek openly admitted that UA had not performed as well as its competitors due to inaccurate forecasting.
Well, the first step towards a solution is admitting you have a problem. :-) It's probably my background as a software engineer, but if I were Smisek, I would have started looking immediately for better forecasting tools. Demand signaling is a complicated problem, but we as consumers provide UA with so much data that a competent team of engineers should be able to build a pretty good set of tools on a reasonable timeline -- certainly within two years.

Anyway, considering how often I end up on oversold flights that end up checking in exactly full or allowing a standby passenger or two, they must have put their best team on Austin. Sad for me...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
For what it's worth, didn't UA announce recently on an earnings call or similar that its RM software wasn't performing well and they were hoping to improve it as a driver of revenue?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I fly IAH-AMS-IAH about every 4-6 weeks.... what I have noticed happening in the last few months is that even on non-peak days when the biz cabin is wide open, the fares look like J9 C9 D0 Z0 P0... peak days are now J9 C0. And that's looking at something more than 30 days out. It's crazy!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by jsloan
LOL I do not. Just offering possibilities...

That makes perfect sense at a macro level; if, e.g., revenue is down markedly for a given market or route, I'd want to know why. I'm not convinced this works at a micro level, due to the massive number of variables that would go into making selections on any given route. I will concede that there was a mismatch between the expected booking curve and the actuals on the flight you mentioned. I'd need to see it happen much more frequently to decide that it was a systemic failure, but, then, I've never met any of UA's back-office staff. :-)

OK -- but surely these newly-promoted managers report to someone else. Eventually, if the pricing power is as bad as you say -- especially considering the built-in advantages of UA's route network and hub structure -- someone in the chain's got to notice. :-)

Well, the first step towards a solution is admitting you have a problem. :-) It's probably my background as a software engineer, but if I were Smisek, I would have started looking immediately for better forecasting tools. Demand signaling is a complicated problem, but we as consumers provide UA with so much data that a competent team of engineers should be able to build a pretty good set of tools on a reasonable timeline -- certainly within two years.

Anyway, considering how often I end up on oversold flights that end up checking in exactly full or allowing a standby passenger or two, they must have put their best team on Austin. Sad for me...
Due to the large number of variables that affect both pricing and inventory, you can't leave all decisions to a system that is responding based on the inputs the analysts give it. Typically, many flights are assigned to each analyst, so you work off the exceptions and you should run reports to prioritize your workload (for example, you can extract data to see which flights require more help than others based on how they are doing against forecast); otherwise, it would be impossible to get to all your assigned flights on a daily basis plus all the weekly promotions (pricing has to file the fares and inventory has to make sure all flights have a minimum percentage of seats available or you can get fined for that).

My point on managerial promotions is that at pretty much any company that takes succession planning seriously, it makes no sense to promote someone with very limited skills and third-trier schools from analyst/senior analyst to senior manager or director, instead of analyst/senior analyst to manager. Specifically, how can you be a director responsible for managers when you haven't even managed analysts previously? It's little things like these that make UA the joke of other companies. Then UA wonders why they keep underachieving at everything. And yes UA eventually notices, people get fired, but then they promote other equally unqualified staff and this terrible cycle continues.

Originally Posted by findark
For what it's worth, didn't UA announce recently on an earnings call or similar that its RM software wasn't performing well and they were hoping to improve it as a driver of revenue?
UA has been saying this for years even back when Smisek was running the circus freak show--system issues that lead to massive fare mistakes, inaccurate forecasts, etc.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 13, 2017 at 4:35 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.